Thread: Ideeas on how to make game more user friendly without game mechanics changes.

Basic Member

Ideeas on how to make game more user friendly without game mechanics changes.

Everyone admits that the learning curve scares a lot of people who want to try, or tried DotA. Yet in-game there are very few changes that improve on that aspect. (Only Item builds and hero roles comes to mind).

The main idea: Add more visual guides for new!!! players ENABLE THESE GUIDES ONLY FOR THE FIRST ~100 MATCHES! (at least). When reading the suggestions below always keep this in mind.

- Tower Range indicator. This is by far the best helper. It will help you take way more less damage overall from towers. In the lanning phase you will know when tower will agro you. You can lurk invisible around a tower without the fear of being detected. You can pass by towers without the fear of being detected, etc. I would say that this was THE helper that improved my play.

How can you learn now about tower range? By approximation, using dubious signs on the ground.

- Neutral boxes. Perhaps there is a good reason for making them that awkward shapes. They are a nightmare! Make them circular-like (all camps have a more or less circular shape) and use the nice "Crop Circle" in front of the camp to have an approximate marker of box range. (This will )

Mechanic changes but it will help noobs greatly and "pros" can adapt easily.

- Rune indicator on minimap when you have vision on it. Only wood creatures and runes are missing from minimap. In rest you have everything there. So why not add runes if you have vision on them? Use also rune specific icons, and you will always have less effort in checking out where a rune spawned and what kind.

- You can tell on minimap where radiant heroes are facing. Not so much for Dire. Add a small arrow to the X so we can see that too.

- Roshan timer. Spectator mode has a nice timer on Roshan. Add that ingame for new players.

All of the above are suggested with new players (<100 matches) in mind. But can be easily added for all with minor impact on the game itself. (Well except for neutral boxes)

Add a section where a player going through the tutorial learns the differences between roles (support, lane support, carry, nuker, pusher, etc.) so that way they can contribute more to a team during the hero selections. I find myself often on a team of 4 carries (all picked within the first 3 seconds) and I am the only one left to try and be support/pusher/nuker/lane support, all the while against bots on easy and still losing. Some help on getting new players to understand what hero to select for whatever reason would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    practice lobby.....or co-op vs bots ...there , now you can test things
    @runes ...what's the point in the runes then if everybody gets to see them without even moving the camera to check them...would be too easy and no challenge
    And for players that want to improve their dota 2 knowledge there is always google available , the tutorials ingame should teach you the basics only , you get more experience with more play time

Basic Member
    @runes ...what's the point in the runes then if everybody gets to see them without even moving the camera to check them...would be too easy and no challenge

... to this kind of answers there is always the perfect answer: Why am I able in Dota2 to see on minimap icons for every hero. In this way I can easily see who is where without moving the camera... it is way too easy...why not keep it like in dota 1 where you couldn't? If you want a harder game go play HoN, it does not have this kind of hand-holding.