View Poll Results: Should players receive abandonment/low prio for any quit once picking phase starts?

Voters
418. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should be punished for dodging

236 56.46%
  • No, dodging improves the game experience and is fair for everyone

182 43.54%
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Punish early leavers (Dodgers)

Give them a 10 minute penalty in which they are unable to search for a match again, it's the way they penalized those that don't accept the game and the longer duration is explained because people actually had to load into the game and waste more time for nothing, this way it will at least delay them from ruining the same players' games over and over again. If they get this penalty 3 times or more in the same day they will be sent to LP for 24 hours, if this story repeats the LP doubles each time. (24h - 1st offence, 48h - 2nd, 96h - 3rd, and that's about as high as I can count at this late hour)

Dodging right now serves 3 purposes:

- Friend logged in while you found game, or you got queued against a player from your friendlist who is solo queueing but you didn't realized.
    - Avoid playing a game with users you already muted in previous games (ragers, feeders and overall awful individuals).
    - Avoid playing obviously retarded lineups like instapicked Medusa+Void+Axe in the same team.

How about Valve not letting leavers actually collect drops during that game? I mean what's the point?

When people DC early they are still punished, it just takes about an hour for it to "realise" they abandoned and put them in low pri, allowing them to be able go into normal games in quick succession. Although it is annoying, nothing needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    Dodging right now serves 3 purposes:

- Friend logged in while you found game, or you got queued against a player from your friendlist who is solo queueing but you didn't realized.
    - Avoid playing a game with users you already muted in previous games (ragers, feeders and overall awful individuals).
    - Avoid playing obviously retarded lineups like instapicked Medusa+Void+Axe in the same team.
    For the first two ones the 10 minute penalty time I'm suggesting would mean nothing.

And for the last one, are you for real? Do you actually need a Ti3 lineup of heroes to win a freaking pubgame? Go and play with 4 friends in -cm mode then. Games can be won with Void, Axe and Medusa instapicked (as long as the other two players have a slight understanding of the game and the team can decide the lanes properly) and MM is not made to win every single game, 5 people actually have to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmendrich View Post
    If a player quits 3-5 times in a row, does it matters why he is quitting? lets say

1 He is a troll
    2 He is having tech issues
    3 He is having Irl issues

Why should they ALL be sent to low prio?

1 Well...because he is TROLLING, ruining other people's experience intentionally
    2 If he KNOWS he is having tech issues, and keeps trying to play without before fixing his connection or computer, why should he be allowed to keep ruining 5....8...12 more games?
    3 If he keeps trying to play DotA while in charge of his granny that needs attention every 10 minutes, he shouldnt be playing DotA, at least not at that particular time.

I have to agree on that one, matchmaking sucks, if they added brackets it would considerably increase the balance in games, it would make them more fun and competitive, and hence people would feel the need to dodge is less.
    Of course, if they're repeatedly trying to troll or play while they know their ISP/Granny won't let them, sure.
    The time out in the first dodge instance shouldn't hurt, even if it's not a troll, and if it happens 3 or more times in a row, harder "punishment" could be put into use.

Basic Member
    Although I have to admit I dodge games on occasion (>=2 South Americans, Bad lineups, etc.) I haven't really experienced this dodging issue to the point where I think that it severely impacts the game in a negative way...or, at least one that would warrant giving the dodger LPQ or other punishments. Because there is no surrender/concede, dodging is really the only way people have to avoid a bad gameplay experience. Why should I be forced to play out a game when my team cant speak English or instapick all carries? When this happens, I'm very grateful for the dodge option, so much so that I believe that the negative impact of having dodgers in my games is outweighed heavily by the ability for me to avoid shitty matches.

I'd agree on adding a timer though for people who've dodged multiple games, probably at 5 mins max.

Banned
    So getting qeued with 2+ russians on the same team and Dendi on the other side is good, but dodging the game is bad and ruins the game experience?

Pull your head out of your ass please.

Keep in mind that game still crashes, for some ppl more for other less and not everybody have PC good enough to reconnect within 90sec. Imo it's fine, because we are playing pub games only anyway. If there was ranked mode I could agree about some changes or at least cap to how often you can dodge without penalty.
    Read this if you want to know why so many games is very one sided: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post436467

Basic Member
    better leave than waste time in trash games with 5 carry/dublemid/jungle.

and same i always leave when against me tryhard stack (55+% wr,1k+ wins),with me PUDGESOLOMID 100-300 WINS.

I dont know how play w/o dodge. its rly good option.

better search new game and lose 5-10 min.
    than lose one hour and got bad mood.

i play everyday in dota (5-6 times) and when someone dodge its not problem for me.
    and dont think its can be problem for casual who play one match peer week.

and when u play on "hight mm" u know many players and know who love feed/trolling or just BAD .
    and better leave than play again with this person.
    Last edited by mad ivan; 08-21-2013 at 12:15 AM.