Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Commendations Pop Up

  1. #1
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    38

    Commendations Pop Up

    Right now I feel like hardly anyone is using the commendation system and only using the report system. I think a good way to fix this is to have a small pop up [akin to when one of your friends logs into a game on steam] for commendations you receive that tells you:

    *You've just received a commendation.
    *Who sent it to you.
    *Which categories were selected and if there was a message included.

    If you did this I feel like a lot more people would use the system because people like to receive praise and this will make people feel better when they play dota which would be good because a lot of people get really angry at this video game. Hopefully this is still in the spirit that you intended for this system, the anonymity is a good idea but because of it no one is really using the system because everyone wants something tacit and tactile that they can see when they put forth even the smallest amount of effort. Thanks for making this wonderful game and please have a nice day!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Basic Member Irrelevante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Direclaw View Post
    Commendation system should be scraped
    Why?

  4. #4
    Basic Member frankles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    Why?
    Probably cause it doesn't add anything to the game.

    +1 to OP's post though. I see nothing wrong with his suggestion.

  5. #5
    Basic Member Irrelevante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by frankles View Post
    I see nothing wrong with his suggestion.
    Just please make it not pop-up during a game and +1 here too.

  6. #6
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,381
    Reports and commends are kind of badly implemented. People will always take the time to report but more often than not they'll forget about commends (tells you about human nature, heh).

    I think making commend buttons restricted to ONE button in the scoreboard or somewhere in the chat history (maybe next to the username?) would give people a better incentive to commend.

    Hell, reworking the entire system into an "upvote" and "downvote" type of thing may seem brutal but it could work. All in all it's about who you want in your game and who you don't want in your game. Reports can then be restriced to griefing and only griefing which would give a much smaller sample of punishable cases (hence better reviews of those cases) and a better way to punish those cases: instant permanent bans.

    I don't feel like reporting people who talk shit or whine and bitch at their team, since that's a ton of people. But I'd gladly give them a 'thumbs down' so that it shows up on their profile and maybe matches them with other people who have a similar rating.
    Last edited by Radio; 12-08-2012 at 12:53 AM.

  7. #7
    Basic Member frankles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Report and commends are kind of badly implemented. People will always take the time to report but more often than not they'll forget about commends (tells you about human nature, heh).

    I think making commend buttons restricted to ONE button in the scoreboard or somewhere in the chat history (maybe next to the username?) would give people a better incentive to commend. Hell, reworking the entire system into an "upvote" and "downvote" type of thing may seem brutal but it could work. All in all it's about who you want in your game and who you don't want in your game. Reports can then be restriced to griefing and only griefing which would give a much smaller sample of punishable cases (hence better reviews of those cases).
    I don't quite understand what you're suggesting but is it something like fame system in maplestory? where you can just +1 or -1 people? Keep in mind I haven't played maplestory for years so it may or may not be different now.

    If this is your suggestion then I find it a terrible idea because there will be alot more -1's going out than +1's. People paid like some small amount of in-game money for +1's in maple which you can't do in dota 2 so there would be a lot of -1's from people that think you played badly and as much +1's as there are commends right now.

  8. #8
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by frankles View Post
    I don't quite understand what you're suggesting but is it something like fame system in maplestory? where you can just +1 or -1 people? Keep in mind I haven't played maplestory for years so it may or may not be different now.

    If this is your suggestion then I find it a terrible idea because there will be alot more -1's going out than +1's. People paid like some small amount of in-game money for +1's which you can't do in dota 2 so there would be a lot of -1's from people that think you played badly and as much +1's as there are commends right now.
    I never played Maple Story but yeah, basically a +1 -1 system. Sad that it doesn't work according to what you said

    Point is there are three big flaws with the current system

    - Reports are handed out for way too many things, voice / text abuse shouldn't qualify for reports, since everyone is somewhat an asshole.
    - People take the time to report but never commend for obvious reasons, you're EXPECTED to behave nicely with other people.
    - People who get reported aren't punished heavily like they deserve because LPQ needs to handle all types of ill behavior.
    Last edited by Radio; 12-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.

  9. #9
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3
    If you could commend after exiting the game, it would be cool. Many times I forget to do it before disconnecting.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by benfuzed View Post
    If you could commend after exiting the game, it would be cool. Many times I forget to do it before disconnecting.

    As annoying as forgetting to commend good players is (I've done it more than a few times), it was intentionally changed this way after chat channels were flooded with 'COMMEND ME 4x I COMMEND U 4x', presumably to make commends actually have some significance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •