View Poll Results: Pay to Play or Free to Play Model?

Voters
1827. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy to Play

1,130 61.85%
  • Free to Play

468 25.62%
  • I don't care.

229 12.53%
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gabe Newell Interview F2P/Retail Question.

Quote Originally Posted by ZabatieL View Post
    I want the F2P League of Legends model, but with a option for unlock all heroes for 60 american dollars.
    Hell yea like Bloodline Champions , I can dig this.

Basic Member
    pretty sure gabe newell is referring to icefrog's DotA beta testers in the private beta, not us who are in the 'public' beta.

Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    pretty sure gabe newell is referring to icefrog's DotA beta testers in the private beta, not us who are in the 'public' beta.
    Yar that may very well be the case but I'm wondering about the folks here. either way I"d like the option to buy the whole package even if it was more than normal retail like a collectors edition or something.

Basic Member
    I think it needs a small fee or else there will be no punishment for players who continuously hack/get banned for other reasons. New steam account and it's as if the ban never happened for most of them. As an old Mod on a PvPgn server I would spend hours/day tracking down and banning evaders. This was an invite only server too, they always find a way to cheat the system even when we made it pretty difficult.

Without an initial fee the community will plummet. Money is a strong influence on behavioural change.

A small initial fee for a complete game unlock (let's say ~$20), followed by $ for cosmetic items would be the best option for the community as a whole and probably the most profitable too.

Basic Member
    I don't care what they do as long as it's a once off payment for all the heroes and future heroes and items/gameplay. You shouldn't have to pay again for new heroes or mechanics that change the gameplay. Paying for cosmetic changes encourage I do.

Basic Member
    Free to play encourages the company to keep making content to make money. While a straight $50 doesn't encourage anything to come afterwards. The game simply has to be free to play or some kind of compromise to make dota2 work.

At least some variation of a free-to-play model, if at all possible. Some of my friends that have not played it before probably would not bother trying it out otherwise xD Something like the current Team Fortress 2 model would definitely be awesome.

Basic Member
    but yeah, whatever lets us have all heroes that are playable at all times and i don't care. just don't do that ridiculous garbage that lol and hon do with their hero unlocks.

P2P please.

Basic Member
    Mehe while I would take everything (except a sytsem where you can buy anything that helps you ingame (stats or even worse heroes)

eitehr p2p or the more logical options:

cheap p2p (15$) + small cosmetical stuff and advertisement placement withing DotA Tv Streams (as off daarkside`s suggestion)

Or f2p and the above. Even though I believe a small price could allready help to prevent Multi-accounting.