View Poll Results: Should there be an option to switch between hero portraits and colors on the minimap?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

186 68.63%
  • Disagree (elaborate why not if possible)

85 31.37%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Option for hero portraits on the minimap instead of colors

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaseMourne View Post
    And besides that, it's been done in LOL and been working fine. I don't see a problem. Hasn't been tried, I guess.
    I think there's a lot of room for improvement in Dota 2, one of the main differences here is a bigger minimap and another one is the ability to resize minimap icons. I understand they probably don't have time to make icons for each hero right now, but I'd love to see a feature like that once they're done with everything else.

Basic Member
    Bump for more opinions.

Basic Member
    I support this. The only problem I can find is trying to fit large enough icons for them to be distinguishable on an already small and cluttered minimap. One of the reasons it worked in LoL was although the minimap was the same size, the overall map as smaller.

Support.

I think this is a great idea and will help new players a lot. Dota purists should focus on the actual gameplay rather than making sure n00bs can't learn quickly...

Basic Member
    Cannot express how much I would like to see this happen, A friend and I both have extreme difficulty with recognizing the colors / markers on the current map. It bothers me quite a bit to see that current maps still bare extreme resemblances to those way back in the day of warcraft/command and conquer one. Icons would definitely help newer players. Having an option to toggle name displays such as alt would be a great thing too.

Basic Member
    Bump because I still think it's important that we shouldn't let WC3 legacy get in a way of anything, right now the UI is just counterproductive and forces player to jump over fences in order to get any kind of information even though it is all in there, available to everyone.
    Last edited by mk07ki; 12-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Basic Member
    agree, good idea

Basic Member
    i like this idea and im sure a lot of ppl will give it shit for the fact that is what league of legends has and so i think thats why they didnt do it i mean i know not everyone here has played league of legends but i would say its dotas competitor right now and i think a lot of dota players and league players would bash it for the icon thing but i would love to see it be put in game.

They don't have to be portraity icons, they can be two letters:

JU=Juggernaut
    RK=Riki
    WR=Windrunner
    AM = Antimage
    etc.

Would be really easy to see at a glance who that hero is on the minimap (I have never been able to get used to the 'different hero, different colour' minimap option in Dota 1/2, some ally/enemy colours look too similar, and you have to remember from game to game which hero is which). Coloured backgrounds to denote team, as normal.