View Poll Results: Should there be an option to switch between hero portraits and colors on the minimap?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

186 68.63%
  • Disagree (elaborate why not if possible)

85 31.37%
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Option for hero portraits on the minimap instead of colors

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Option for hero portraits on the minimap instead of colors

Since we can already see their names anyway, why not add an option to replace hero colors with icons? It would help new players to see who goes where and who's missing without hurting anyone.
    I know, a lot of people will hate me for it, but no, it doesn't take skill to remember hero color nor does holding alt once in a while, the mechanic seems more of a WC3 legacy to me rather than something that adds to gameplay, and don't forget we can already see their names. And while some of you might want to call me a LoL player, no, I don't play LoL nor I like it. I'm fine with Dota 2 as it is, but I do not want to see this game alienate new players just like DotA did, that's all.
    Last edited by mk07ki; 12-06-2011 at 02:44 AM.

whenever
    there are enough ways to get to know who is where: scoretab, alt key, click on map, memorize colors before game starts

If they can make the icons fit then I don't see the issue. I don't think you can make the icons that small and still be easily distinguishable though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VirJiL View Post
    whenever
    there are enough ways to get to know who is where: scoretab, alt key, click on map, memorize colors before game starts
    I know right? That's why I'm certain that it wouldn't hurt anyone or make the game any worse since there's already so many ways to tell who's who and who's where, why not make it more intuitive?

Quote Originally Posted by mk07ki View Post
    I know right? That's why I'm certain that it wouldn't hurt anyone or make the game any worse since there's already so many ways to tell who's who and who's where, why not make it more intuitive?
    2 reasons:
    - it needs a place (which we are short of) in ingame screen for button switcher.
    - for be perceptible on a small minimap these portraits must be too big

Basic Member
    I dont see any reason why not,
    They could just make it a button in the options so it wouldnt take up any screen for people if they didnt want it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VirJiL View Post
    2 reasons:
    - it needs a place (which we are short of) in ingame screen for button switcher.
    - for be perceptible on a small minimap these portraits must be too big
    I was talking about it as in options, like where you disable auto attack, etc.
    Is that an issue for something optional? If someone doesn't like it he can just disable it, not to mention I already have default minimap icons size increased through console, they're big enough to fit in an icon yet don't take that much space to prevent you from seeing something important.
    Quote Originally Posted by dellarraym View Post
    I dont see any reason why not,
    They could just make it a button in the options so it wouldnt take up any screen for people if they didnt want it.
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. By default icons should be colored, I'm not saying they should replace them permanently with hero icons, but if you want you should be able to change them through options.
    Last edited by mk07ki; 12-06-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Basic Member
    I think this all will be in the release version.
    You will probably also choose what symbol your team and the enemy team have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neox View Post
    I think this all will be in the release version.
    You will probably also choose what symbol your team and the enemy team have.
    I'd love to think of it that way, but in my opinion, it's all up to the community right now.

Basic Member
    Are you serious? The colors are clearly visible at the top of the screen throughout the whole game with a nice little portrait as well.