Thread: [Suggestion] Always show hero names on map.

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Always show hero names on map.

Hello!

I think some people would appreciate if you could toggle "Always show hero names on map" like when you hold ALT, but instead if you toggle this option you wont have to hold alt all the time. it would simplify for some players to know whom's coming against them et.c!

I agree, this would be a nice feature to have. There could be a console command to enable it currently but for the sake of all players, a simple in-game option would be great.

Basic Member
    to improve visibility you could add abbreviations of the name sinstead of the whole name. so you can see single heroes even if they cluster

Basic Member
    Yeah, abbreviations would definitely be necessary, and I'd argue that they should be added now.

Windrunner --> WR
    Doom Bringer --> Doom
    etc, etc

You can really clean it up and make it easier to read. Maybe change some of the colors on the mini-map too, since Dark Green and Brown hero names are pretty tough to read.

Basic Member
    Is there currently a way to turn this off? Regarding the usage of ALT, I am used to pressing ALT to see health bars like in war3, is there a way to get back that functionality? Plus, currently heroes like Faceless Void takes up a super long bar on the map. Abbreviations would be fine; The visibility issue is what's making me dislike it

Basic Member
    Was just about to post same suggestion.
    Would like to see it in game.

Basic Member
    I agree abbreviations with fuzzy, the full name is too long, some time it will be truncated, when hero at the edge of mini map.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzypickles View Post
    Yeah, abbreviations would definitely be necessary, and I'd argue that they should be added now.

Windrunner --> WR
    Doom Bringer --> Doom
    etc, etc

You can really clean it up and make it easier to read. Maybe change some of the colors on the mini-map too, since Dark Green and Brown hero names are pretty tough to read.
    To be honest, if the option the OP suggested ever implemented, I don't think I'd ever use it. But when I hit alt in game, I agree that some hero names are too long. Unless they start using some abbreviations, I'm more annoyed by the fact that I can't disable hero names coming up when I hit alt.
    Change has kept DotA alive, evolving, and improving since 2002. And now DotA has an entire new engine at it's disposal, with infinite new capabilities.

So why are there so many DotA fundamentalists/conservatives that oppose new features, options, and information?

Embrace the change.

YES! Def need hero name abbreviations, Keeper of the Light takes up like half the minimap and it's difficult to pinpoint where exactly is the hero. If he is on high ground or low ground, etc it's important.