Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Message other players who are not steam friends in the game client

this is one of the little features that i actually liked in HoN.

it worked very well there (never seen it being abused) and i would like to see it implemented in dota!

Basic Member
    it also worked in dota 1, and every other online game in existance

dota 2 is the only online game I know of that has no message/whisper function

For me this is a bug because it exists in Dota1, and it doesn't exist in Dota2.

It should get implemented, there's no reasons against.

Basic Member
    Looking for feedback thx

Basic Member
    bump

Basic Member
    bump

This will be more abused rather than used. I don't want strangers to message me.

And to strangers saying it's a bug - no, it's not a bug and it has never been implemented in DotA as well. DotA was a plain custom map and the message system was in Warcraft III (battle.net).
    win7 x64, i7-3770K, Unika UB75GT EVO, 8GB DDR3, HD7950 12.104.0.0, 1920x1080

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oniz View Post

This will be more abused rather than used. I don't want strangers to message me.

And to strangers saying it's a bug - no, it's not a bug and it has never been implemented in DotA as well. DotA was a plain custom map and the message system was in Warcraft III (battle.net).

It would not be more abused than it would used normally dont be ridiculous

If any potential "abuse" did occur, it can be easily avoided with things like: dnd, ignore, squelch, mute, friendly only,etc

These can even be set on as default so your argument against having a proper chat system is invalid because it does not affect your gaming experience at all unless you choose to use it.
    Last edited by blaity; 11-18-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Basic Member
    I totally agree with the fact that this game needs better communication system.

I hate this new-age BS where idiot developers think they know what other people need. Give us our damn freedom to choose what we want. Aside from people being able to choose whether they want to be spammed by non-friends or not, perhaps a better anti-spam system should be implemented if spamming is a problem did you ever think of that‽ It's not like it's that hard to kick and temp-ban accounts that are sending multiple messages to multiple non-friend users within a short time frame. There's no excuse.

If we don't want anyone to message us who isn't on our friends list then we'll set that option otherwise let anyone chat with anyone else.

Also, on a slightly related note, at the least if you don't allow non-friend messaging, at least have some sort of friend request message so that people know why you're adding them (you live near them, you're a fan, you want tips, you want to trade, etc.).
    Last edited by joesi; 09-11-2014 at 02:28 PM.