Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A list of complaints about DotA 2 (and their counter-arguments)

A list of complaints about DotA 2 (and their counter-arguments)

So I've read one too many clone threads today regarding issues that people have been talking about for months now and I decided to make a list of all these complaints here. Since these discussions lead to nowhere (because both sides disagree with one another regardless of proofs and stats), I decided to include all the counter-arguments so people know exactly what people have said about them. Hopefully, there will be less of these threads in the future.

"Matchmaking is bad because people are matched with other people that have fewer wins."
    Counter-argument: The number of wins doesn't properly show how good a player is, especially considering how easy it is to make smurf accounts.

"Matchmaking is bad because Normal skilled players are matched with Very High skilled players."
    Counter-argument: Normal, High and Very High brackets are only used to label matches, not players. They're only related to the average rating of both teams.

"Matchmaking is bad because I have noobs on my team."
    Counter-argument: Maybe you aren't that great in the first place. Maybe the enemy team outplayed your team. Also, statistically speaking, there's always going to be a "worst" player on each team. Sometimes it'll be you (and you'll unknowingly get carried by your teammates), sometimes you'll be the highest ranked (and everyone's going to seem like a noob to you).

"Matchmaking is bad because the matches are one-sided."
    Counter-argument: Most matches are one-sided because DotA 2 encourages snowballing and hero counter-picking. Stop playing All Pick all the time.

"Stomps wouldn't happen if the matchmaking system wasn't shit!"
    Counter-argument: During the TI3 Grand Finals, two of the best teams in the world took turn stomping one another. This is part of the game and occurs even when the matchmaking system isn't used.

"The matchmaking system enforces a 50% win rate."
    Counter-argument: It doesn't. All it does is match you with people of similar skills so that each team has a 50% chance of winning before the match even begins. The matchmaking system can't detect what hero each player is going to pick so they can't guarantee that you'll win/lose. Everything is determined during the picking phase and during the match.

"We need a ladder system and public MMR stats for solo queue."
    Counter-argument: Displaying our MMR would increase flaming and encourage people to assign roles based on MMR hierarchy. Also, see "Elo Hell".

"We need private MMR stats."
    Counter-argument: Most people won't display their MMR anyway (just like the majority of people hide their matches on Dotabuff) meaning it would be hard to compare one's MMR to others and know exactly where one stands. Plus, MMR doesn't give players a good sense of progress since most players will eventually end up at their proper rating and then remain there. You can't all become pro players.

"The mute penalty is pointless and counter-intuitive considering you need communication to play properly."
    Counter-argument: Flaming is not considered useful communication by any stretch of the imagination anyway. The difference between flaming and silence is that silence doesn't piss people off and make them play worse in the process. Also, use the customizable Chat Wheel.

"But the Chat Wheel doesn't have enough options!"
    Counter-argument: Then stop flaming and you'll be able to say anything you want like everyone else!

"I'm okay with flaming. I should be allowed to unmute players if I want to."
    Counter-argument: Being okay with flaming is a problem in the first place so it should not be rewarded. Plus, being allowed to unmute flamers would not encourage them to be wary of their attitude.

"The report system is easily abused to make innocent players receive an unfair penalty."
    Counter-argument: You need to be reported many times in a row for the same offense to be punished. Since people have a very limited number of reports, only the worst offenders get reported (which means they're very unlikely to be innocent).

"A 5-man stack reported me and now I'm muted!"
    Counter-argument: Only 1 report per match counts. You get a punishment by being reported in multiple matches in a row.

"We need a surrender option; I should not be forced to play games I don't want to play."
    Counter-argument: Having a surrender option would rob people of the pleasure of destroying an enemy base. It would also reduce the chances of having a base race (which is very exciting) and would basically discourage people from trying to come back from a bad early game through hard work and dedication.

"Region lock please, I don't want to play with people I can't communicate with."
    Counter-argument: If a player refuses to speak your language or use the chat wheel to communicate with you, they're bad players regardless of the language that they speak. Being bad is not a reportable offense. Plus, there are many ways to circumvent region locks anyway.

"Valve don't release new content because they're busy selling hats."
    Counter-argument: Hats are made by the community. There is very little work involved in implementing them (other than determining their rarity and cost, making the occasional particle effects and creating their icons). This is all done by people that aren't working on the new content anyway.

"Valve are lazy. It doesn't take a lot of time to create new heroes and fix bugs!"
    Counter-argument: Yes it does. In fact this is why many videogames get delayed and why other companies like Riot take up to 8 months of preparation and work (if not more) to remodel an old hero or create a new one.

"I could literally fix bugs by myself - it's just a matter of changing numbers!"
    Counter-argument: Every change that you make risks breaking the game. Each modification requires in-house QA testing to detect any potential issue (and even then, some very noticeable bugs sometimes manage to slip into the smallest patches.) Basically, it's not that simple.

"Valve should talk to us more often. We need more information!"
    Counter-argument: They did talk to us in the past. People called them liars everytime.

"Valve are trying to cater to casual players. The game is becoming more noob-friendly by the day."
    Counter-argument: DotA 2 is the complete opposite of a casual game. It's one of the most hardcore games out there. You can't turn DotA 2 into a noob-friendly game without reworking the entire core of the game (which will never happen).

"WE are the voice of the community. Valve should listen to US."
    Counter-argument: YOU are only PART of the community. The rest are busy enjoying DotA 2. People don't spend money and time on games they don't like or don't understand.

"ded gaem"
    Counter-argument: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    Last edited by Bleako; 09-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Basic Member
    most of the counter arguments are so retarded i cant even...

+1
    If you find spelling errors, you are free to take them.

Banned
    90% of my games are one sided stomp,if i win its because my opponent are bad or they have 1-2 feeders in their team,and when i lose its because my team is composed of 1-2 bad players.balanced matches are extremely rare.for example i just played with a bane who skip brain sap,auto attack the creeps.but next game i match up with pro player and i'm on page 1.i cant express how random matchmaking is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleako View Post
    "Matchmaking is bad because Normal skilled players are matched with Very High skilled players."
    Counter-argument: Normal, High and Very High brackets are only used to label matches, not players. They're only related to the average rating of both teams.
    What if a player is consistently placed into very high bracket?

What does it tell you about a player?
    Last edited by Avidity; 09-17-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hordepriest99 View Post
    90% of my games are one sided stomp,if i win its because my opponent are bad or they have 1-2 feeders in their team,and when i lose its because my team is composed of 1-2 bad players.balanced matches are extremely rare.for example i just played with a bane who skip brain sap,auto attack the creeps.but next game i match up with pro player and i'm on page 1.i cant express how random matchmaking is.
    Depending on the enemy team, skipping Brain Sap can be useful. Enfeeble is incredibly strong against right clickers since it cannot be removed.
    Last edited by Bleako; 09-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avidity View Post
    What if a player is consistently placed into very high bracket?

What does it tell you about a player?
    It tells you that they're so good, they get matched in Very High skill matches even when they have the lowest rating of their team.

The way I see it, most people are average meaning that they can occasionally be put in Very High skill matches if they are the 5th ranked player on their team, and put in Normal matches if they are the 1st ranked. Both can happen, you're never always in 3rd place. You also never get 4 people with the exact same Elo rating as you - there is always some difference.
    Last edited by Bleako; 09-17-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Banned
    Depending on the enemy team, skipping Brain Sap can be useful. Enfeeble is incredibly strong against right clickers since it cannot be removed.
    http://dotabuff.com/matches/313322783

also seems like buying wraith band on bane can be justified.also a kunkka who goes 1-8 and doesnt hit a single torrent or ship.

Basic Member
    "ded gaem"
    Counter-argument: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    the cherry on the cake ... shows the iq of this thread...nice try riot/lol hater i c what u did there xD
    If it wasn't for LoL, there'd be no Dota2.
    If it wasn't for DotA, there'd be no LoL
    If there was no AoS, there'd be no DotA.
    It's a genre:
    Just because its different doesn't mean its wrong.
    Just because its the same, doesn't mean its wrong.

Basic Member
    [Insert uneducated lies or random quotes taken out of context]

[Insert -1 threat]

[Insert random insult directed at OP]

Herp derp Idiocracy is a documentary. Where's my monster truck with the giant dildo on it.