Thread: [Intended?] Glyph inconsistency between Dota 1 and Dota 2

Basic Member

[Intended?] Glyph inconsistency between Dota 1 and Dota 2

If I recall correctly, in Dota 1 when a building gets glyphed it still takes 0.5 damage for each attack due to the way armor is coded in WC3. In Dota 2 when a building gets glyphed it doesn't take any damage from an attack at all. Unless this is "how Icefrog has always meant Glyph to work in Dota" then I think it's an inconsistency and should be dealt with.

You can't make a unit invulnerable without the side-effect of being unable to get targeted. There are ways around that, but I guess you could say that's intended.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Very sure its intended.
    IIRC invulnerable buildings can't be hit by aoe spells either which would include leshracs edict. This would make your edict focus a single hero that glyphed a tower while it should be split between the two still.

Seems like a wc3 engine limitation.

Basic Member
    Keep in mind that using Glyph doesn't give buildings in Dota 1 "Invulnerable" status either. They also get +9999 armor, are targetable by attacks and spells that can be used on buildings, the only difference is they treat every damage instance on the building as a 0.5 damage instance (since WC3 doesn't have true "0" damage).

That's the point: you can't make it invulnerable without many drawbacks in Wc3. That high armor value is simply the only easy solution.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryil- View Post
    You can't make a unit invulnerable without the side-effect of being unable to get targeted. There are ways around that, but I guess you could say that's intended.
    Give glyphed units damage block. Reduces damage to 0 with the right settings.

Quote Originally Posted by frankles View Post
    Very sure its intended.
    IIRC invulnerable buildings can't be hit by aoe spells either which would include leshracs edict. This would make your edict focus a single hero that glyphed a tower while it should be split between the two still.

Seems like a wc3 engine limitation.
    Spells can be easily coded to still affect invulnerable units. Edict can be coded to "waste" some ticks on invulnerable units.
    No engine limitation here.

Quote Originally Posted by fudgepucker View Post
    Keep in mind that using Glyph doesn't give buildings in Dota 1 "Invulnerable" status either. They also get +9999 armor, are targetable by attacks and spells that can be used on buildings, the only difference is they treat every damage instance on the building as a 0.5 damage instance (since WC3 doesn't have true "0" damage).
    That's not true. There are lots of cases where 0 damage instances happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryil- View Post
    That's the point: you can't make it invulnerable without many drawbacks in Wc3. That high armor value is simply the only easy solution.
    Giving them damage block is just as simple, since the 99999 armor provided comes from a spell, too. Just replace it with, or add damage block with 100% proc chance to block tons of damage.
    Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    Or you know, just call the triggered heal function.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imxtrabored View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by imxtrabored View Post
    Well, he said easiest way, so I didn't mention that.

E: Added to intended changes list.
    Last edited by bu3ny; 09-22-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    Please, just call me buny.