Thread: What is with the impossible default hero builds?

Basic Member

What is with the impossible default hero builds?

Although I am not new to dota 2, there is still plenty of characters in the game that I haven't played yet, but I noticed this one major hindrance with many heroes.

The default reccomended item builds are sometimes IMPOSSIBLE.

Like seriously this is Alchemist reccomended build: 2013-09-30 17_49_15-Alchemist - Dota 2 Wiki.png

First of all: In order to continue from Starting items to early game items, you have to first be finished all your tangos and your healing potion, which I think is a bit retarded considering I like to play defensively, but I can operate items, so it isn't a big deal to me I can just buy a loadout that suits me, what throws me off is how confusing it is when you first learn a character.

Simple enough right? Buy the tangos, potion, 3 branches and a stout. Okay next in line I should get a pair of boots and a magic stick, fair enough, I will just initiate some combat and use up those items so I have inventory space. Okay, now I have bought both the boots and the stick, and it is telling me I should go for two rings, but I have no inventory space left? Am I expected to drop my items? I don't know, all I know is the item build would stop there if you were following it verbatim, it would jam. Sure you could upgrade to magic wand early, or perhaps drop some items, maybe even use a completely different build but that completely negates the purpose of having recommended items if you are forced to modify them in order to continue.

Can someone shed some light on this issue please? Perhaps I am just missing something here but both Tiny and Alchemist have item builds that are impossible to follow without modification, and I think this is a big problem for new players.
    Last edited by drambit; 09-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Banned
    The guide wants you to decide between magic stick, ring of heath or ring of basilius.
    It wants you to build 1 item that is most helpful in your current situation.

I can see why you might be confused. Default item builds need to have helpful tool-tips on mouse hover, so that newer players can adapt faster.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avidity View Post
    The guide wants you to decide between magic stick, ring of heath or ring of basilius.
    It wants you to build 1 item that is most helpful in your current situation.

I can see why you might be confused. Default item builds need to have helpful tool-tips on mouse hover, so that newer players can adapt faster.
    Oh wow, I would never have guessed that in a million years. Although that makes perfect sense, do you have anything official to back that up or is that just community accepted fact?

Community accepted I suppose, a magic stick, ring of health and ring of basilius is too much regen.