Page 3 of 168 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchmaking Feedback

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    For past two/three weeks, I have only been playing solo. Seems pretty ok for me.
    You are part of the 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by schisch01 View Post
    if you like to lose a lot its okay :P
    Nobody likes to lose. But given we are playing in MM, almost no one will have more than 60% wins in the long run.
    That being said, I pretty much managed to stay at 52% with my 300+ ping on EU; solo or not.
    I'm sure I can bump it to ~55% if I can play in SG (60ms).

I think it could be done a bit better as to how it matches players together I think a good example would be something like this;

Current system

Everyone plays vs everyone regardless of if you are searching as a party (2/3/4/5) or playing solo

Suggested system;

Solo plays vs only solo players, However, Solo players also have the option to search for a team of 2/3/4 as well.

Teams play vs Teams only

What does this mean over all, well it means that if theres going to be an increase in search times its going to be for teams because teams that are not a full 5 will have to wait for solo players who are willing to play with a RP (random party) now how to fix that issue is you could give solo players a bit more of a boost in xp or some other stat that will give them more interest in playing vs a stack (aka the benefits out weigh the down falls).
    CPU make and model: intel i7 4700MQ 2.4ghz
    GPU make and model: Nvidia Geforce 860M
    Ram: 8GB DDR3
    Operating System: Win7 HP
    Connection speed: 600KB/s || 100KB/s || 764MS

Quote Originally Posted by Shin View Post
    You are part of the 1%.
    Not really. In a perfect matchmaking, everyone will have a perfect 50% win rate. That means you win one, you lose one.
    Now, go thru your win/loss stats. Have you been losing lately? It means you have won quite a few before and now you will be matched with stronger opponents (or your allies will be weaker) and vice versa.

It is just that when you lose 2 or 3 matches in a row, it just feels too frustrating and it appears that matchmaking is completely broken. Yeah, I get that feeling too. But when you look at the stats in the long run, MM IS doing its job. It is the limited number people in the pool, that sometimes creates the situation like OP said.

It'd be a wrong idea to think just because you are better than average, you will have 60% or 70% win rate. That's not how matchmaking should work. I'd even say if more than 50 people has more than 70% win in the long run, matchmaking is failing.

As long as your W/L ratio is close to 1 (i.e., ~50% win rate), MM is holding its ground. Sometimes you get even games, sometimes you get stomped, sometimes you stomp!
    As player pool increases, the number of stomped/stomps will reduce and "even games" will increase.
    Last edited by CvP; 12-08-2011 at 02:13 AM.

DO NOT MATCHMAKE ALONE IF YOU INTEND ON WINNING
    I MM alone and I get good games / win most of the time - I think you just need to up your game son.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    Not really. In a perfect matchmaking, everyone will have a perfect 50% win rate. That means you win one, you lose one.
    Now, go thru your win/loss stats. Have you been losing lately? It means you have won quite a few before and now you will be matched with stronger opponents (or your allies will be weaker) and vice versa.

It is just that when you lose 2 or 3 matches in a row, it just feels too frustrating and it appears that matchmaking is completely broken. Yeah, I get that feeling too. But when you look at the stats in the long run, MM IS doing its job. It is the limited number people in the pool, that sometimes creates the situation like OP said.

It'd be a wrong idea to think just because you are better than average, you will have 60% or 70% win rate. That's not how matchmaking should work. I'd even say if more than 50 people has more than 70% win in the long run, matchmaking failing.

As long as your W/L ration is close to 1, MM is holding its ground. Sometimes you get even games, sometimes you get stomped, sometimes you stomp!
    As player pool increases, the number of stomped/stomps will reduce and "even games" will increase.
    Thanks, it's quite rare to have such a great post in this forum ^^

I understand now, even if it was pretty easy to understand if you think about it 10 mins (which I never did, I have to admit ^^).

Hope the open-beta/release will reduce the stomped/stomps games, cause winning/loosing 5 times in a row is pretty annoying and not fun at all.

A balanced match is fun, even if you loose, and you can only get better with them.

Banned
    Valve probably didn't put much effort into matchmaking because it's not important since this is a beta game.

You're here to test the game not to have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by dietsunkists View Post
    Valve probably didn't put much effort into matchmaking because it's not important since this is a beta game.

You're here to test the game not to have a good time.
    eh...matchmaking is something they have been/are/will be heavily working on.

I remember the time when we were like 5/6 people in queue. Then we'd PM-spam other testers until it reached 10 people. Then we got ourselves a game!
    It is not something they just added recently.

Matchmaking is awesome, they way it supposed to be.

If you dont want it, go practice game Q.Q
    Goodbye

Basic Member
    you cna't match solo players just with solo players, how would teams of 4 fill the empty slot.