Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge FPS drops since October 7 patch

Huge FPS drops since October 7 patch

Okay I have managed to isolate the issue, it was infact CPU overheating.

I found out that the thermal grease between the CPU fan and the CPU itself had dried off
    and there was quite a bit of dust gathering on the fan.

Cleaning the dust and applying new thermal grease solved my heating issues and now the game runs fine.

It is intresting that the FPS drops were most noticable on Dota2 and TF2, but no other game.

Since the October 7 patch my game has been getting random FPS drops.

At the beggining of a match the FPS is around 80.
    Around the 15 minute mark I start to dip down to 40's but it comes back up after a few minutes.
    However after 30 minutes the game just sinks down to 30 FPS and remains there until the match ends.
    And it gets worse during team fights, I've been down 15 FPS.

Changing the graphics settings has very little impact with everything on low it stays around 40FPS instead of 30.
    Only changing the resolution has a significant impact.

Before October 7 patch I would get 80 FPS all the time and maybe go to 40 during particle heavy team fights.

System
    i5 3.33
    GTX 465
    Win7 32-bit
    4GB Ram

All options on highest settings with 1080 resolution.

Not the best PC, but it used to run fine. Now it's frustrating to play.
    Last edited by Judas Physicist; 10-30-2013 at 03:55 AM.

I have the same issue

System (XPS 13)
    i5 3337U
    HD4000
    Ubuntu
    8GB RAM
    SSD

Almost all options set to low. (I know, this is not a game laptop, but still...)

Actually Dota 2 is not playable for me now. FPS is too low...
    Last edited by apokryphos; 10-15-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Okay by accident I figured out a solution for the frame drop.

As I was playing a match I accidentaly hit the windows key and went to desktop.
    When I got back in the game the frame rate went up to 60 from 30.

Haven't tested it again, but I'm sure alt-tabbing out of the game and going back in
    got rid of my horrible frame drop.

I also will try to test with windowed mode and see if it is effected.

Basic Member
    Since the 10/15 update i have a huge fps drop from constant 60 (all maxed out + vsync) to a horrible 30 cap (even without vsync)

Quote Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
    Since the 10/15 update i have a huge fps drop from constant 60 (all maxed out + vsync) to a horrible 30 cap (even without vsync)
    Can you also try the alt-tab method I described?
    When you alt-tab then wait for a few seconds, returning to the game your frame rate should be normal for 15-30 seconds then go back to 30 again.

I tried many things

Windowed mode, I still get the frame drop, even worse alt-tabbing won't temporarily fix.
    Borderless windowed mode is the same as well.

Changing your resolution ingame temporarily fixes the frame drop as well, but after 30-40 seconds it goes down.

If there are multiple HUD's shared in the game, rapidly switching between them sometimes temporarily fixes the frame rate.

The frame rate always drops regardless of what graphics settings you have, I've had everything on low
    and resolution on 1024*768, I would get 150 FPS then go down to absurd 30-40 FPS range for the rest of the game.

This is definetley a problem that came with a recent patch and needs to be fixed on Valve's side.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Physicist View Post
    Can you also try the alt-tab method I described?
    When you alt-tab then wait for a few seconds, returning to the game your frame rate should be normal for 15-30 seconds then go back to 30 again.

I tried many things

Windowed mode, I still get the frame drop, even worse alt-tabbing won't temporarily fix.
    Borderless windowed mode is the same as well.

Changing your resolution ingame temporarily fixes the frame drop as well, but after 30-40 seconds it goes down.

If there are multiple HUD's shared in the game, rapidly switching between them sometimes temporarily fixes the frame rate.

The frame rate always drops regardless of what graphics settings you have, I've had everything on low
    and resolution on 1024*768, I would get 150 FPS then go down to absurd 30-40 FPS range for the rest of the game.

This is definetley a problem that came with a recent patch and needs to be fixed on Valve's side.
    Yep, already tried alt tabbing, window mode, borderles window mode but nothing seems to work.

The only way to barely get a 60 fps playable game is turning EVERYTHING down (except resolution), it's absurd.

Fun fact, in 2 spectated games (from 5 i think) when the ancient is destroyed and the stats windows pops up, my fps's get stuck on 60 again (all maxed out)

I tried other games with no problems at all, so it's not hardware-related,

Basic Member
    I also had this problem, but only in one of my games, not more. I closed down dota 2 and steam and afterwards it was fine again for me.

Basic Member
    Guys, try this. Having the net_graph activated (to check fps). Quickly open and close the dota menu (big arrow on the upper left side of the screen), doing that my fps seems to normalize on 60, when i stop the fps drops again to 30 or even less.

Its nor a fix, but maybe its something related to our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
    Guys, try this. Having the net_graph activated (to check fps). Quickly open and close the dota menu (big arrow on the upper left side of the screen), doing that my fps seems to normalize on 60, when i stop the fps drops again to 30 or even less.

Its nor a fix, but maybe its something related to our problem.
    Confirmed.
    Also Steam menu works (Shift-Tab by default)

But after few seconds fps drops again...

So any devs around here to acknowledge this issue?