Thread: Dota 2 LAN - feedback

Dota 2 LAN - feedback

This weekend I held a dota 2 LAN. There were just over 20 people for about 12 hours.

Feedback on the offline lobby mode...
    Once all 10 players were in game and successfuly picked their heroes, the game was great. Everyone had 5ms latency and none of the problems associated with online play.

However, the local lobbies are glitchy. About 1 in 4 hosted successfully (i.e. you had to create an offline lobby 4 times before you could play a game with 10 people). There were 2 main issues:

Firstly, someone would create an offline lobby. Everyone would join successfuly. The host would start the server. But no-one in the lobby was able to join the game. The host could see all 10 names on his screen, but all of their status' were "loading". The people trying to connect had the load screen (dota icon). They eventually timed out and could click "reconnect" but it didn't work. Only solution was to re-create the lobby.

Secondy, all 10 people would load and connect. But during hero selection, one person was unable to pick a hero. Even if they quit and reconnected. The only solution was to create a new offline lobby. This even happend in both CM, RD and AP modes

The offline lobby mode needs a lot of work. Seems like there wasn't much testing done before it was released. Its bad enough that you have to be connected to the net to have an "offline" lobby (although it is nice to have your asthetic items). Even though I managed to arrange internet for a LAN (?!), the experience was dampened by having to rehost 4 times before we could have a normal game (my machine is an x58 core i7 920, 6gb DDR3 1800mhz, Radeon HD5870)

20 people in about 4 hours used 200mb of bandwidth to remain connected to steam.

Basic Member
    Lan is still not available so I can't really add any input. Althouh custom local games I haven't really played either.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DOTA 2 NETWORK

Sure tru offline LAN isn't available, but my post relates to the offline lobby mode.

Quality post, but nobody's gonna see it here. (say thank you to all the spammy idiots that could not understand a simple rule "DO NOT FUCKING SPAM DUPLICATE THREADS")

If anything, I suggest you posting this on Reddit.
    VALVE KNIGHTS - ASSEMBLE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shibubu View Post
    Quality post, but nobody's gonna see it here. (say thank you to all the spammy idiots that could not understand a simple rule "DO NOT FUCKING SPAM DUPLICATE THREADS")

If anything, I suggest you posting this on Reddit.

Since you need internet to get to play as LAN, the LAN is a fail
    Never underestimate the power of the masses.