Hi,

I wrote a small script-generator that makes it possible to use all 71 chatwheel messages ingame: http://www.initialcommit.org/d2vgs

Some users have expressed their wish to see a menu of some sorts so that they don't have to remember all bindings.
A relatively simple approach would be to use the debug mode of the console to display the possible bindings in the top left corner upon keypress (no external overlay with state to track etc).

First, I set the appropriate number of lines to be displayed.
Code:
contimes 30
Now I tried several variations:
Code:
(message.cfg)
developer 1
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo "This is a test message"
echo ""
echo "Possible options:"
echo "================="
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
If I now bind "exec message.cfg" to a key and press it, I see the echos on the console, but even though the script enabled developer mode, the lines do not get printed ingame. If I, however, press the button again, the lines get correctly displayed.

Another method I experimented with was filtering the console output: Since with active filtering, all matching lines get printed onto the same line, I had to go the reverse way (filter everything using a filter string that is almost guaranteed to never match and then disable filtering when I wand to output to the user). First, I set everything up using:
Code:
contimes 30
con_filter_text "@#!#!@@!"
con_filter_enable 1
Now I try to write messages using:
Code:
(message.cfg)
con_filter_enable 0
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
echo "This is a test message"
echo ""
echo "Possible options:"
echo "================="
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo "A -> foo"
echo "B -> bar"
echo ""
echo ""
echo ""
con_filter_enable 1
This never produces any output, unless I omit the last line ("con_filter_enable 1"), then it works the after the second key press (because the change in "con_filter_enable" was applied).

It seems that there is a delay before the changes to either "developer" or "con_filter_enable" get applied, however there is no "wait" command like in TF2 or other source games to pause the script until then.

Is there something I missed? Thanks.