Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Days Sanice Abaddon: 104

Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    WhaleRum, among others, claims that the TI1/TI2 heroes look like shit, but I strongly disagree. You name a hero that looks like shit, just one. I don't have a problem with any of the heroes' looks.
    - Venomancer
    - Viper
    - Shadowfiend
    - Zeus
    - Earthshaker (which is why he was updated)
    - Venge (also now looks up to par with the newer heroes)
    - Omniknight
    - Axe
    - Slardar
    - Jakiro
    - Storm Spirit
    - Necrolyte
    - Dazzle (arguable)
    - Ancient Apparition (also arguable but his textures look horrible)

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Now, the problem is these heroes look absolutely fine if you compare them to the others. However, I'm comparing them to heroes like Abaddon, Bristleback, Medusa, Meepo, etc,. These heroes look nice, they "fit" their persona, so to say. Their textures for the most part are of high quality. But if you look at heroes like Viper? He doesn't really even look nice. A head with wings is all I see. His head is ugly, his whole texture is bland and there is very little polycount. His whole texture looks outdated. Same with Shadow Fiend, when I see Shadow Fiend I see a walking gob of tar. The only time he looks somewhat different is when he gains souls and even then he just looks outdated. This is a game that came out at almost the same time as Battlefield 3. Yesterday, I tried Path of Exile - a f2p diablo clone and the game looks BEAUTIFUL, it was made by some random company that I have never heard of. Valve is one of the biggest companies out there, people know who Valve is - yet when I load up Dota 2? Half of the heroes look like they were literally ported from WC3 without any updates/changes to their models/textures (obviously exaggerating here).

I'm not saying the reason they have slowed their progress down so much is because of this. I have no idea why they have slowed down. However I would rather they not rush the last remaining heroes out just so to see them go back to them later down the line because they are so sub-par.

One of the main reasons I don't think we are getting heroes as fast as we used to is because for the most part the roster is completely full, if they took the same approach as they are now when the game was released we would only see maybe 10 heroes in TI1 and 20 in TI2. I think they've slowed down progress on heroes because they want to make us come back to it anytime there is a new hero. Valve is a company and their sole reason for creating this game is to make a profit. If they pushed out all the heroes next week they would have the majority of their players playing for maybe another couple of months and then coming back here and asking when the next hero was coming out. And since there would be no heroes left, all we would be seeing is "ded gaem" for months on end (not like we aren't now but you get the point).

Of course this is all purely my opinion. For all I know they have every single hero ready and they are going to give us a gigantic patch for Christmas, pretty unlikely but just making a point. We have no idea what or why they are releasing the heroes at a slower pace.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give FORUM RULES
    OKAY, HERE!
    ノ( ◕ _ ◕ノ)

If you have a problem, PM me or another moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal_ne0 View Post
    It's like we're being punished for not buying enough compendiums
    ^true

There are probably map props that have a higher res texture than Clockwerk. He's one of those heroes people never really mention when listing off poorly textured heroes, but he's right near the top of my list.

i think the graphics fidelity is fine as long as it runs on most machines. but slardar looks like a fat slug

I see this thread has become a spin-off of PAS. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ned_ballad View Post
    There are probably map props that have a higher res texture than Clockwerk. He's one of those heroes people never really mention when listing off poorly textured heroes, but he's right near the top of my list.
    Ah yes. Forgot about Clockwerk, his textures are HORRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by x1te View Post
    i think the graphics fidelity is fine as long as it runs on most machines. but slardar looks like a fat slug
    I agree and disagree. That's what graphic settings are for. We should not restrict Valve from making the best looking game possible merely because people are still stuck with PCs from the stone-age. People have to accept the fact that technology moves far faster than anything else in the world. Having a 5-10 year old PC in the tech-universe is basically like being 20-30 years behind. If you think about it we have only had computers for ~50ish years but look at where we are now. We have computers that are the size of my hand. That's pretty crazy.

If people aren't willing to upgrade their computers then they shouldn't expect Valve to cater to their outdated PC.

Of course Valve will try to cater to their entire audience, but like I said before, this is why we have graphic settings/options. If you can't run Dota 2 at its highest settings then just turn the settings down until you can. I personally have a pretty beefy computer. I don't expect everyone to shell out 1 grand on a computer but I do expect Valve to make a game that resembles other games of this century.
    OKAY, HERE!
    ノ( ◕ _ ◕ノ)

Quote Originally Posted by WhaleRum View Post
    - Venomancer
    - Viper
    - Shadowfiend
    - Zeus
    - Earthshaker (which is why he was updated)
    - Venge (also now looks up to par with the newer heroes)
    - Omniknight
    - Axe
    - Slardar
    - Jakiro
    - Storm Spirit
    - Necrolyte
    - Dazzle (arguable)
    - Ancient Apparition (also arguable but his textures look horrible)
    I've never had a problem with any of those heroes, including pre-update Earthshaker and Vengeful Spirit.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Now, the problem is these heroes look absolutely fine if you compare them to the others. However, I'm comparing them to heroes like Abaddon, Bristleback, Medusa, Meepo, etc,. These heroes look nice, they "fit" their persona, so to say. Their textures for the most part are of high quality. But if you look at heroes like Viper? He doesn't really even look nice. A head with wings is all I see. His head is ugly, his whole texture is bland and there is very little polycount. His whole texture looks outdated. Same with Shadow Fiend, when I see Shadow Fiend I see a walking gob of tar. The only time he looks somewhat different is when he gains souls and even then he just looks outdated. This is a game that came out at almost the same time as Battlefield 3. Yesterday, I tried Path of Exile - a f2p diablo clone and the game looks BEAUTIFUL, it was made by some random company that I have never heard of. Valve is one of the biggest companies out there, people know who Valve is - yet when I load up Dota 2? Half of the heroes look like they were literally ported from WC3 without any updates/changes to their models/textures (obviously exaggerating here).
    What is Viper supposed to look like? What is Shadow Fiend supposed to look like? To me, they're instantly recognizable as Viper and SF from WCIII DotA, which is a good thing, not a bad thing.

As critical as I've been of how Valve has handled matchmaking and stats, language barriers, and punishment, I have never criticized how the heroes look. I have no complaints about them whatsoever. Almost every hero you listed as crap is, to me, easily, easily matchable to their WCIII DotA counterparts. (The lone exception is Storm Spirit, and even then, you can kinda guess it's the panda.)
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

Viper's design is by far the worst in the game

Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    Almost every hero you listed as crap is, to me, easily, easily matchable to their WCIII DotA counterparts. (The lone exception is Storm Spirit, and even then, you can kinda guess it's the panda.)
    Which is exactly my problem with them. Why should they be easily matchable to their WCIII DotA counterparts? That game is over a decade old (?). Yes the game is suppose to be an "upgraded clone" of DotA but that doesn't mean that the heroes have to look the same.

As for what Viper is supposed to look like or SF? I personally don't know. All I know is they don't look nice. Viper's design is just lazy. It's just a head with wings. Earthshaker also did not look nice. His model itself was fine, but the textures were horrible. There was no quality. There was no distinction between the hairs on his fur. It all looked like one giant patch of brown. You can't possibly tell me you didn't think Earthshaker looked bad. He did not look like a hero created for a game from this century.
    OKAY, HERE!
    ノ( ◕ _ ◕ノ)

Quote Originally Posted by Keowee View Post
    I see this thread has become a spin-off of PAS. Okay.
    Not yet.. needs more gif

Spoiler: