Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible solution to foreigners issue

Basic Member

Possible solution to foreigners issue

Hello there. This is not another thread about Russians and such shit, as I don't have such problems with them since I can speak both English and Russian.
    Here I want to suggest partial solution to this problem.
    My main idea is that instead of using restrictions(like region block) you should encourage people to play on their servers.
    So my suggestion is: give those who play on their respective servers and with language settings set to their language some bonuses, like bonus to Battle Points gain. Or maybe after X hours(or games) played in your region, you will recieve guaranteed item.
    I know that it won't solve this issue entirely, but at least it will make things better.
    I know that its not good for Valve, but if they still value community over money(at least to some extent), then it will be fine.
    Give your thoughts on this.
    P.S Sorry for some typos, if any, English isn't my native language.

Basic Member
    How will you determine which server and settings am I eligible to play?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alxs View Post
    How will you determine which server and settings am I eligible to play?
    You can play on any server, you will just get bonuses for playing on your server. Steam knows your location. I'm from CIS zone, and we have different prices, so some games are blocked and some will only work in my region. In that case, Steam will say that this game is blocked in your region or that this copy is only available here.

Banned
    Nope. The only solution is region locking. Starcraft 2 doesn't let you queue everywhere in the world at once, and SC2 isn't even a team game. No excuse for Dota 2 to let people queue everywhere.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spudlyff8fan View Post
    Nope. The only solution is region locking. Starcraft 2 doesn't let you queue everywhere in the world at once, and SC2 isn't even a team game. No excuse for Dota 2 to let people queue everywhere.
    Its like saying that the only cure for any infection is to kill all infected people...

Quote Originally Posted by spudlyff8fan View Post
    If you think region locking is the only solution, why even bother comming into a topic that's trying to find another solution? If this starts to be a region locking discussion, I'll close it ASAP.
    As this seems to start with another idea in mind, I'll let it open for now.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redthirst View Post
    Its like saying that the only cure for any infection is to kill all infected people...
    No, it's like saying that you put the infected people with each other since they're already infected and they don't mind being around themselves.

Basic Member
    Can you give some actual feedback on topic. I will repeat it: this is NOT a thread about foreigners issue, its a thread about my suggestion on how to improve this situation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redthirst View Post
    You can play on any server, you will just get bonuses for playing on your server. Steam knows your location. I'm from CIS zone, and we have different prices, so some games are blocked and some will only work in my region. In that case, Steam will say that this game is blocked in your region or that this copy is only available here.
    Well, come to think of it, it's not a bad idea.

I can only see a reasonable point for foreigners queueing in US servers. I'm from Brazil and 100% of my games are in Brazil servers.

BUT many SA players that are outside or/and inside Brazil have better ping in USEAST servers. Some players says its a route problem between brazil and other SA countries and their ISP routes are going all the way up to Miami to come back again to Brazil. This must be the reason why SA players are queuing in US servers.

I don't have this issue, and my ping in fine, like 20ms.