Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [suggestion] map rotation

Basic Member

[suggestion] map rotation

Hello everybody.

First of all, as I'm new to this forum let me apologize in advance if a suggestion like this has already been made.

I think a nice option to include in the game would be "map rotating". For example, I'm enjoying my game much more if I'm playing from the bottom corner. I don't care if I'm the Dire or the Radiant, but I'd love to have an option to play from whichever corner I please. So basically, only the players who are using this option are seeing the Dire at bottom and the Radiant at the top, while others would see the game normally. I'm sure something like this can be programmed into the game.

Cheers

From slowreflex due to a duplicate post (with permission of OP):

This is more of a nice to have than a must have, but I'd like the ability to be moving from bottom-left when on the Dire. I find it works better with my brain to be moving bottom-left to top-right as opposed to top-right to bottom-left. Maybe it's because I read from left to right, who knows. This means it probably puts me at a slight disadvantage when playing Dire. This suggested option would rotate the minimap by 180 degrees as well. Basically, make the Dire movement/map perspective the same as Radiant. Hope that makes sense.

For those that prefer top-right to bottom-left, that should be an option too (give Dire perspective when playing Radiant)

Again, not everyone will be keen on this, so that's why I'm suggesting it as an option and not a change for all.
    Last edited by slowreflex; 03-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.

i think, if i understood this correctly, its very hard to implement or not possible. the map will be totaly diffrent when u rotate it

Basic Member
    I'm not a programmer for sure but I'd think that shouldnt be too hard. For example, if the option is turned on, and the game detects my click at X,Y coordinates, it just interprets the click as Y, X (mirrored) and sends data to the other players that way.

I may be very wrong on this, of course

Actually it would determine your click as -X, -Y, assuming that 0,0 is the centre of the map, but yes it's a fairly simple task as far as I know. In fact, as DOTA2 uses Source Engine, and Source Engine supports cameras, I'm pretty sure this would be as simple as rotating the camera 180 degrees.

I'd also like this feature, because I like playing from the top right (less chance of accidentally clicking on the mini-map and running myself somewhere I don't want to go when retreating).
    Last edited by Zorua; 12-09-2011 at 03:47 AM.

I didn't draw my signature or avatar, I cropped them from an image I found on Google image search.

My guess would be that the developers wouldn't want you to view the map from other angles, probably for aesthetic reasons.

+1 to this suggestion

i also would like to play from bottom/radiant even if it's dire team

Quote Originally Posted by viciouzz View Post
    i think, if i understood this correctly, its very hard to implement or not possible. the map will be totaly diffrent when u rotate it
    Rotating the camera by 180 degrees can't be that hard.

It's very possible. But god, that would be hard to get used to for the first few games.

Basic Member
    useless function
    System Spec for Bug Reporting:
    ----------------------------------------
    CPU Make and model: Intel Core i7 2630QM
    GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6970M , 2048mo
    RAM: DDR3 1333 8GB
    Resolution size: 1920*1080
    Connection: T-Com 5Mbit/0,5Mbit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by viciouzz View Post
    Very easy. It's actually just 1 value that has to get changed (= the camera Matrix)...