Thread: Super low performance!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Unhappy Super low performance!

Hi guys I may have found a way to improve the performance. I did this and I got pretty large improvement. You may try it.

First, for those who with Nvidia GPUs, install the latest CUDA driver from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
    Although I don't know what is this for. Other GPUs I don't know.

Second, install a fan control tool to set the RPM of the CPU fan to maximun. I use Macs Fan Control. http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

So, in the launch option I only have -console -novid -high

I maximize the fan speed before entering the game, and I found that the fps improved from 10fps to 35-45fps without any lagging or sound problem. (Around 33% rendering, high texture and medium shadow, others are all off.)
    (You may see it as very low, but look at how old and how weak my MacBook is. I'm satisfied, this is reaching its performance on the Windows on this machine.)

So just now I just finished my first Dota 2 game on my MacBook.

So in this case I think previously the CPU is overheating therefore the performance is low, I hardly hear my fan spinning during the game before.
    I think those who are experiencing low performance may want to try this, I'm not sure how it work, maybe it's the driver, or maybe it's the fan. But honestly speaking, maximising the fan is awfully noisy. Anyway I'm putting on my headphones so I don't hear it.

Hope this would help you and wish you good luck.

Although I have a very old Macbook. But it can run Dota2 on Windows with moderate graphic settings. I expected the native app to run better on Mac. However, the results are quite disappointing. Can't even play with the lowest setting at all. Getting 3-10 fps. And no sound.
    Please help!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M: