Thread: Regarding the latest cosmetic update which is about to come

Basic Member

Regarding the latest cosmetic update which is about to come

So you guys went ahead and showed unstable the economy really is
    Lot of people are getting happy thinking how much they can profit from their low tier legacy couriers, but this update has thrown a lot of high tier legacy owners and paint owners like myself in the shredder
    If you think you are owning something that has a value, then think again..today it was me and a few others, tomorrow it can be you defense dog owners or golden roshan owners

I sold one of my set of paints(i owned two, now one) for about $1600 last week, now people will start to retrieve the paints they used couriers (they used it of their own free will) and there will be a influx in the market from used paints gems, and i would be lucky to get even the half the amount i sold the last set for
    Thanks valve
    Making gems out of paints was fine (doesn't really affect anything), but being able to retrieve the paint gems from couriers where people willingly used their paints...is destructive to me, the whole value of blue paint was because of its rarity..there were only 30 ~ or something blue paints left in the game, now with the smashing and gem extraction it will rise to 60 or 600~ blue paints
    Same with the legacy etheral flame courier owners, they bought their couriers thinking their couriers were Unique in their own right..now you there will be more legacy efs than phantom lancer clones, sucks for them too

If this goes through, iam pretty sure me and a some of the legacy courier owners would jump out of the boat, cash out and quit trading off...
    Sure I lost money, but this is more than that, it shows how fast can things can change over here..how you can't put in your cash on something and expect it to be of the same value when you wake up next day
    Last edited by Shade; 11-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    So you guys went ahead and showed unstable the economy really is
    Lot of people are getting happy thinking how much they can profit from their low tier owners, but this update has thrown a lot of high tier legacy owners and paint owners like myself in the shredder
    If you think you are owning something that has a value, then think again..today it was me and a few others, tomorrow it can be you defense dog owners or golden roshan owners

I sold one of my set of paints(i owned two, now one) for about $1600 last week, now people will start to retrieve the paints they used couriers (they used it of their own free will) and there will be a influx in the market from used paints gems, and i would be lucky to get even the half the amount i sold the last set for
    Thanks valve
    Making gems out of paints was fine (doesn't really affect anything), but being able to retrieve the paint gems from couriers where people willingly used their paints...is destructive to me, the whole value of blue paint was because of its rarity..there were only 30 ~ or something left in the game, now with the smashing and gem extraction it will rise to 60 or 600~ blue paints
    Same with the legacy etheral flame courier owners, they bought their couriers thinking their couriers were Unique in their own right..now you there will be more legacy efs than phantom lancer clones, sucks for them too

If this goes through, iam pretty sure me and a some of the legacy courier owners would jump out of the boat, cash out and quit trading off...
    Sure it lost money, but this is more than that, it shows how fast can things can change over here..how you can't put in your cash on something and expect it to be of the same value when you wake up next day
    well considering valve history are you surprised ?
    dragon claw hook, ti3 couriers, alpine stalker set, all that shit (not even including tf2 history) idk why people even invest in valves cosmetics for real money.

Basic Member
    Nice way to fuck up the people who spend the most on your unstable economy, gj valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnalc View Post
    Nice way to fuck up the people who spend the most on your unstable economy, gj valve.
    i think the people who spend the most on there economy are the casuals as most of the high tier couriers and paints and stuff use real money/pay pal in fact this will probably encourage more people so buy keys/gems so i guess in the end valve wins!

Basic Member
    You would rather have 60 unused paints in a game with 5 mil users so the owners can sell them over-priced on pay-pal/real money?
    Well with the 1600$ imagine how many paints you can get now.

"iam pretty sure me and a some of the legacy courier owners would jump out of the boat, cash out and quit trading off" - GOOD! (how much do you estimate valve wins, or the community benefits)

"it shows [...] how you can't put in your cash on something and expect it to be of the same value when you wake up next day" you for real? ) even gold prices fluctuate, and it's real! were you expecting virtual dota2 blue paint to be forever expensive?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trippy View Post
    You would rather have 60 unused paints in a game with 5 mil users so the owners can sell them over-priced on pay-pal/real money?
    Well with the 1600$ imagine how many paints you can get now.

"iam pretty sure me and a some of the legacy courier owners would jump out of the boat, cash out and quit trading off" - GOOD! (how much do you estimate valve wins, or the community benefits)

"it shows [...] how you can't put in your cash on something and expect it to be of the same value when you wake up next day" you for real? ) even gold prices fluctuate, and it's real! were you expecting virtual dota2 blue paint to be forever expensive?
    1. Its not really about pricing,its about the rarity of things...if they distributed legacies and paints like pamphlets..something else will take its place, you would want a golden roshan tomorrow...if da vinci had painted 100,000 mona lisa in his free time, you would have bought one, wiped your butt on it and moved on

2. Sure it benefits the community and valve keeps making money, whatever the case..i never disagreed with that, it only fucks a small group of the community

3. Ever seen gold being bartered for peanuts ? because thats the analogy here...thousands of worth of legacies and efs being sold for a negligible amount compared to the amount they were bought for

Basic Member
    it only fucks a small group of the community
    I think it only affects the ones that saw this as an investment. (and none guarantees any kind of investment anywhere!)
    All the items I've bought or traded for i wanted for myself and i wouldn't care if they value 1$ at "resell" price. (As you don't think what the resell value of your new iphone will be in 2 years).

Also there is a huge difference: da vinci paint vs a hexadecimal color code ... and if you really care about art - there will be more money going to item creators rather then to hexadecimal code hoarders.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/c...ls_colors_you/

I'd recommend not to be so butt hurt, the needs of the many overrule the needs of the few - I got hurt by this as well, but it was bound to happen and wasn't a huge shock to me.