Thread: Kinetic Gems - Can we have some clarification?

Basic Member

Kinetic Gems - Can we have some clarification?

I'm having a bit of bother trying to figure out what constitutes a Kinetic gem.

Two that I've noticed in my collection so far have been the Fireborn Odachi and the Dead Winter Soul.
    Now, judging by these two, you can have either an animation variant or a spell effect variant, as FBO changes cpre animation and DWS changes the ult.

However, the fact that DWS is a kinetic gem totally confuses me and makes the whole system feel inconsistent. There are a lot of items that I can think of that have spell effects/particle effects/different animations that haven't recieved the Kinetic gem treatment.

To name a few;

• Sparrowhawk set bonus
    • Sparrowhawk Bow PS Animation
    • Stinger PS Animation
    • Lyralei's Breeze PS Animation
    • Mask of the Third Insight Purple Psi Blades
    • The Immortal TI3 Items
    • Arcane Staff of the Ancients
    • Armoured Exoskeleton Wings

These are items that I know change a spell effect that isn't "Fixed" to the item (Such as PL's Diffusal Blade or Kunkka's gold sword.)
    With the sparrowhawk set, it would be as easy as "If 5 kitetic sparrowhawk gems are equipped, enable effects"

It seems a massive shame to me, because I was incredibly excited about the concept of Kinetic gems. Finally being able to have the sparrowhawk effects on the Featherfall set, or the Whale on a different Kunkka sword, that was exactly what I thought the point of the Kinetic gems were, and after checking all of these and only finding two, it feels like a bit of a missed trick.

In addition, I do have a couple of other little questions that someone might be able to help me with.

• Is it possible to add certain inscribed gems to couriers? Having my courier track Gold spent, couriers purchased etc would be pretty neat.
    • Is the nametag of the item changed depending on which gem was inserted last or first?
    • Does the normal hammer destroy the item?
    • Can - for example - the Fireborn Odachi Kinetic gem be added to any other Jugg item, or does it have to be the sword?

Thanks!

Lucky you I didn't even receive the kinetic gem from my Odachi cause it had 5 modifiers on it already before the patch.

Just listing some more that dont have gems

Anti-mage's Mage Slayer pieces mostly come with a custom animation as well.
    The Instagib OSP for sniper has a custom assassinate animation
    Timebreaker has a particle effect, but I'm not sure if this should be removable since it's a immortal.

Basic Member
    Any news on this? It seems like such a wasted feature to not have these effects transferable : / I mean, I love the purple Psi Blades on Templar Assassin for example, but I don't like the item they come with...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jademalo View Post
    In addition, I do have a couple of other little questions that someone might be able to help me with.
    • Is it possible to add certain inscribed gems to couriers? Having my courier track Gold spent, couriers purchased etc would be pretty neat.
    You can add inscribed gems to couriers however they don't count anything, hope it's fixed to work / not being able to add sockets + gems.

Main topic I have to agree with, kinetic gems are a great addition, I had no clue a lot of items changed animations / textures and making it easier for us to see that (or even better, choose what item to modify things) was a great idea however not adding it to all modifying items is confusing :c

Basic Member
    Prestidigitator's Source of Sorcery also has no gem.

its valve. either die waiting or deal with it.

I have an odachi, but it doesn't have the kinetic gem... wtf?
    Carry, Ganker, Pusher or Support? Meh. My role is RAMBO!