Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethereal and Prismatic Gems

Basic Member

Ethereal and Prismatic Gems

So, to begin, Valve adds a new socketting system. Cool.
    It is vaguely explained, stating particle and color effects are now gems, that can be transferred between other items. Cool.
    Courier effects work the same way. Cool.

Yet, nowhere is it explained that to receive an ethereal or prismatic gem, the courier must be treated with an Artificer's Brand, which is LUDICROUSLY expensive to create.

So here I am, having destroyed unusual couriers, and having spent money to socket another, only to find that what was presented to me as a simple gem into socket transition is in fact secretly a lie.

Ok Valve.

I would appreciate this system ACTUALLY explained. I spent the past hour and a half going through this forum, various other Dota webistes and the Valve community site for Dota, finding 1 thread explaining what is going on.

How is that not exploitative.

Replace my courier and refund my money, and that of everyone else duped.

It's one thing if I made a mistake, its another thing if we were all mislead.

Basic Member
    I'm not going to bother copy pasting exactly what you said, because that is exactly how I feel.

Cept I'm not so concerned with returning my cours. I just want the brand to be removed. Having slots should be fine enough. I feel that if we were lucky enough to get our hands on one unusual cour, that RNG has deemed us a victor. We don't need to go through a second trial just to prove it. Or atleast have that trial be DRASTICALLY reduced. Maybe 10, 5, 2, 1, with a much higher drop/find rate of the scroll. I could settle for that.

Basic Member
    Ok so ur problem is u need an unusual courier and branding process is hard right.. I thought same.. but got a low value 3K unusual chuckles.. and u can directly insert ur costly gems there.. I inserted champions green and champions aura similarly.. did I help u not sure.. in short.. u can replace gems to destroy old gems.. u need to destroy courier to get gems..

I had the exact same issue ..... poor explanation by Valve and cost me an unusual courier as well as 2 normal chisel.......

I really hope valve fix this

Basic Member
    Well i thought i buy effect+color+socket ==> Awesome courier what i got was 2 useless sockets on a courier and too much money spent for nothing... thx valve!

Basic Member
    wait wait, so i cant remove the current pink color of my lotus courier, and insert another color?How come what happens if i try? I have to get this artificers brand and use 100 common items, 50 unc, 10 rare, 3 myth, and one legendary to be able to put one in?
    Or are you talking about inserting a color AND the effect in a totally different courier?

Basic Member
    I think I understand this system now. It was never intended to make people all get this one courier they wanted, but they couldnt because it was too expensive, its about creating couriers that normallyt didnt exist.

Like Lotus shagbark for example. Impossible to get before. Now it is. And it would be worth alot when you create it, and should look good. It was for interesting stuff like that, and not an easy way to get a Ef roshan.

Basic Member
    i felt cheated too. i've destroyed my unusual courier and created 2 normal slot using chisel on my azuremir just to found out that i can't slot the prismatic and ethereal gem on it! THANKS ALOT valve!! wasted lots of my money there for something that isn't working. Not only that, i used 5 chisel on my kantusa and slotted it with 5 inscribed gem. it works fine at first, the gem is able to be placed there perfectly. Until u played the game just to realize that the inscribe gem isn't recording your score!! THANKS AGAIN valve, another money wasted on useless thing. now i'm not sure whether this update is bringing new cool system or just broken system.

Basic Member
    Bump. Where did you ever explain that only unusual couriers could be crafted on? Even in the actual dev post here clarifying some points about crafting, there was no mention of the destructive processes that result in either the loss of unusual courier models or gems, depending on whether you're unsocketing gems or building on an existing courier.

This was clearly designed as a sink for unusuals, potentially resulting in a greater desire to open new crates (?) but the lack of transparency makes it look slippery. Similarly, using a key to open a scroll case full of recipes that take 3 same-quality items and produce 1 same-quality items insults me by making me pay keys to destroy inventory, as if I've acquired some privilege through the use of a key.

This patch was all sinks, which I suppose makes sense after the giant faucet that was TI3, but sheez.... how about some balance and restraint in the distribution of these sinks and faucets?

If you're offering the community a means to swap unwanted items at a lousy rate for new random drops, make it free, or explain how it serves us all by putting a stop on devaluation and inflation. Instead you appear to be trying to pull the wool....

Basic Member
    Everyone remember how Valve put off diretide for this bullshit? Yea... about that...