Thread: A better DOTATV experience

A better DOTATV experience

Hi guys, I've got some new (I hope so) ideas for our beloved DOTATV system, here it goes:

1) Display every game average MMR on the Watch Tab, so people will begin to spectate "better" games. Most of us are tired of answering that "why are there so many observers on this game?", since the answer is, most of the time, a dumb "snowball effect". This would probably require a button to organize the game list by MMR, otherwise people would get mad searching through endless pages of games (and this leads to more search options and... that's for another thread).
    I believe there is already a system like this one working (that places high skilled game on top of the list) but since it's hidden (I'm not sure) most "top live games" aren't exactly what one would call a skilled game right now.

2) Enable observers to evaluate games. After 10 minutes watching a live game a pop-up should appear (not big, well placed and that can be deactivated) reminding you that you are now allowed to evaluate the game. If you choose to do it, some box with values ranging from 0 to 10 (and maybe additional info) will appear and you just need to vote. Every 5 minutes after the 10th people are allowed to change their votes. An average value should be displayed on the Watch tab, so people can search for better games faster than now, without wasting time loading many one-sided stomps.
    I obviously realize some people will just use this to fake-vote (giving 10 to a very bad game), but IMO it might be worth trying.

Pro Paint skillz to show how accessible this can be: average mmr.JPG
    Suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by Ad.Infinitum; 12-09-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Basic Member
    great Idea
    +1

Basic Member
    Agreed. Also, having a search feature (heroes and players names) like the one we have for recent games would be handy.

Agreed on the idea, but still needs to be fine tuned.
    At least people would stop asking if these noob players are pros or why is the game full of 64 spectators in the game.
    One point: A game can change in minutes after good team clashes

It seems like Valve wants to keep MMR values private, but they could at least sort by MMR without showing the actual values. Alternatively, perhaps it could bin players into certain ranges. It looks like it does this in replay filtering, since you can specify high medium or low skill.

Basic Member
    Would anybody actually stay in a snorefest game and rate the game quality a 1? If the game sucks to watch, most people would just leave.

Pretty much every time I have clicked on one of the "top games" in the today page, its been a really terrible game, and still had 64 spectators to the end. Most of them had at least one rampant feeder, often midgame leavers, people who never use abilities, blatant trolls, etc. I recall one I saw that had a Lich with nothing but Mask of Madness, two sets of boots, and a Yasha. Maybe its apathy or car-wreck fascination but a lot of people will keep watching once they start no matter how horrible the game is, and that makes popularity a pretty bad indicator, especially when it caps out at 64 viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Almadiel View Post
    It seems like Valve wants to keep MMR values private, but they could at least sort by MMR without showing the actual values. Alternatively, perhaps it could bin players into certain ranges. It looks like it does this in replay filtering, since you can specify high medium or low skill.
    Yup, showing exact average MMR might not be a good call, but being able to filter by skill level like in replays would be great.
    Change has kept DotA alive, evolving, and improving since 2002. And now DotA has an entire new engine at it's disposal, with infinite new capabilities.

So why are there so many DotA fundamentalists/conservatives that oppose new features, options, and information?

Embrace the change.