Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] more control / options / preferences in Matchmaking

[Suggestion] more control / options / preferences in Matchmaking

Since the original thread was closed because of understandable reasons i decided to reopen a similar one with the quintessence of it.

The matchmaking system offers little to no control over what you want to play with and what not. Apparently, many times you know in advance that you will have no fun playing a certain match.
    There should be more controll to avoid game ruiners and trolls or i prefer to punish these 2 kind of players with strict actions!
    There should also be more controll at how far the MM is expanding it's searchrange to guarantee more equal matches if you wish so, or faster games if you prefer this. Maybe even a ping limit or something like this since it's a measureable handicap.

The language preferences should be more meaningful aswell.

Also was an idea to show the teammates before accepting to the game, the OP of the original post want to use this to avoid certain kind of players, but maybe it's a possibility to dodge known game ruiner.
    To edit this idea you might get into a lobby with your teammates beforehand so you can speak about picks/tactics if you want before the pick screen appears but i guess this option is redundant.

And a personal thing i want to mention is that i am a big fan of the idea of choosing your postion (mid,carry support...etc.) before searching to avoid being pushed into a roll you don't want to play and also to make the MM generate more synergetic teams, since everybody got his favorite role where he almost plays better than in the others. And it would encourgae more people to play solo and also encourage more people to play/train more needed roles in order to find games faster, maybe with this the "mid or feed" and "instant carry picker" will be extinguished in the future.

So please feel free to discuss
    Last edited by FelicesBladewing; 11-18-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
    Valve has abandoned the game! The game is now safe to leave.
    No statistics will be recorded.
    powered by Bashtime

my view of the current MM: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...907#post769907
    and of RMM: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post879900
    and of solo-q vs party-q: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post929986

+1,000,000

Basic Member
    Your post made me think a thought. Perhaps a wonderful thought. What if in addition to the regular matchmaker, there were also a team finder system. So this doesn't find a game, but just matches you with a group totaling 5 people. you can then discuss positions, tactics, etc, and then enter the queue as a group of 5. Have fun? good! you can play together again. Someone leaves? fine! use the team finding system to replace that person with a new one. Someone's an ass? leave the group and find a new one, maybe adding the people you enjoyed playing with as friends first so you can queue together again without the asshole.

This team finder can have all SORTS of criteria, like positions/roles you like to play, languages you speak, etc. And of course it will take into account your hidden MMR rating so you will only be matched up with players of similar skill.

That team finder idea is something I considered before, when trying to figure out what people -really- want when they ask for public MMR, since "finding people to play with as a team" is a commonly-cited reason to add visible MMR. I think its a much better idea than something like solo queuing in a given position, since that function would be much more prone to abuse

Controllable search range and meaningful language choice, wish to not play with certain people and role based game mode.

You say this like anything is wrong with players playing together with their skills all over the place, speaking whatever language they like even if nobody else does and had maybe no wish to play with each other and probably less in the future and often they have their eye on the same role and rest might end up grumpy and may pick it anyway.
    Last edited by nadaga; 11-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callipygius View Post
    Your post made me think a thought. Perhaps a wonderful thought. What if in addition to the regular matchmaker, there were also a team finder system. So this doesn't find a game, but just matches you with a group totaling 5 people. you can then discuss positions, tactics, etc, and then enter the queue as a group of 5. Have fun? good! you can play together again. Someone leaves? fine! use the team finding system to replace that person with a new one. Someone's an ass? leave the group and find a new one, maybe adding the people you enjoyed playing with as friends first so you can queue together again without the asshole.

This team finder can have all SORTS of criteria, like positions/roles you like to play, languages you speak, etc. And of course it will take into account your hidden MMR rating so you will only be matched up with players of similar skill.
    That's a great idea, but not a matchmaker, just a simple team finder then you do whatever you want, you would least likely have positions set and make sure people speak the language you want.

You should make this as a suggestion.

They probably need to tweak their system which defines how stronger is a group compared to 5 strangers, this group could be 5 strangers once they play more the stronger their "group bonus" becomes.

Potential problem is that people misuse it, they take too slow, they are picky, few uses it.

Also that abysmal lets put mutes in regular games system wouldn't be popular in team finder either when people are checking for language competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Callipygius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by func_door View Post
    That team finder idea is something I considered before, when trying to figure out what people -really- want when they ask for public MMR, since "finding people to play with as a team" is a commonly-cited reason to add visible MMR. I think its a much better idea than something like solo queuing in a given position, since that function would be much more prone to abuse
    yes a team-finder would be great because it would also make finding guys for 2,3 or 4man prestacks to fill the roaster and maybe even lead into more 5-man teams which can actually get together for TMM.

TMM needs an improvement but i think it's the right thing for comp. minded teams/stacks.

great ideas guys, keep it this way^^
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
    Valve has abandoned the game! The game is now safe to leave.
    No statistics will be recorded.