Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Windrunner and Necrolyte --> Windranger and Necrophos?

Mmm, it can't be because of "copyrights," at all:

Windrunner isn't infringing any copyrights, as they removed "Sylvanas", which was the copyrighted portion- it being Sylvanas the Windrunner in Dota 1, and Lyralei the Windrunner in Dota 2. Just like how other Dota 2 heroes still retain their true names, and all the copyrighted material has already been removed.

I am hoping, really hoping that it's just to do with the Korean/Chinese version of Dota 2, as it coincides with the Nexon Dota 2 page translations: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1pw8jq/ Because "Wind Ranger" would simply ruin everything.
    Last edited by Duplosion; 11-20-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Alleria the Sylvanas Windrunner in Dota 1,
    What... no, no, no, not really, not at all. Sylvanas and Alleria Windrunner are two separate Windrunners. A pretty established last name, mind you. In Warcraft. You see, Alleria the Windrunner was among the biggest abominations against the lore of WC in DotA 1 (and BOY were there many of those), seeing how she's kinda, well, dead, and has been for a very long time. Yes, Windrunner was actually just like Furion, Lich or Thrall - a historical character for the game series. Turned into an offlaner.

Lyralei... happens to call herself that too. Now this is grounds for some snorkeling into debates, as opposed to Outworld Destroyer, Doom Bringer or Wisp which were all simply victims of utter stupidity, incompetence, miscreancy and nothing more.

And the more time passes the more I'm digging Necrophos. Necrolyte sounds boring and squishy. Necrophos is imposing and almost sounds like a disease which is good for the image.

By the way, just let me point out that the practice of literally translating heroes is not something that I think is a very good idea. The Russian translation team chose the right way if you ask me - one of the very few such decisions they have ever made - and left hero, item and ability names intact, only taking on descriptions, UI et cetera. Now we have this. I still very highly doubt that there'd be need for an English translation of the new Asian names, so that has to be a blank.
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 11-20-2013 at 02:13 AM.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

even Wind Ginger sounds better than windranger.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    even Wind Ginger sounds better than windranger.
    sorry but rofl
    If you find spelling errors, you are free to take them.

Still, the copyright portion was already removed, it being the primary "Sylvanas" or "Alleria" which was copyrighted and changed.

As another example, Abaddon being the Lord of Avernus is permitted, which is just one of the Dota 1 heroes who still keeps their name.

(It's been quite some time since I referenced Dota 1 lore, so do understand.)
    Last edited by Duplosion; 11-20-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Alleria it was, not Sylvanas. And by your (the whole community's) logic - blaming everything on Blizzard copyright - Windrunner is something Valve should have been publicly hanged for. Abaddon never had anything to do with Warcraft lore - I don't remember an Avernus anywhere (in fact, I think it's from some mythos of ours). He did have Frostmourne for no, zero, nada, null, absolutely NO reason whatsoever and it had been replaced with a differently named skill, yes. That was about it.

The lowdown is that it isn't copyright - if it was then we wouldn't be discussing this in late 2013. All directly infringing parts have been dealt with already, and Windrunner, ironically, is the one that kinda crosses that barrier. It has to be something else.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

This is an in-depth log, about the name references and copyrighted content in DotA.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=13574

Correct, Abaddon actually doesn't connect to the wc3 universe itself other than his skills which were renamed, but there are still heroes/items that were somewhat changed through removing copyrighted content, and permitted to keep their true names/titles.

As we can agree upon at least, Windrunner itself isn't copyrighted- so there isn't any need to change to.
    Last edited by Duplosion; 11-20-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duplosion View Post
    As we can agree upon at least, Windrunner itself isn't copyrighted- so there isn't any need to change to.
    Just like Doom Bringer

Basic Member
    Should have called her Windsprinter, that skill doesn't last long. Necrophos sounds great though.

She has so many lines referencing her name, it's going to actually cost them money to do this change. I don't think it was done lightly, and must have some kind of important reason.

Necrophos is awesome though