Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: RE: Luna's Nova

Quote Originally Posted by d.phoenixxx View Post
    I think all of you are missing the point.

The issue is not about whether Nova with mane or no mane is realistic.

The issue is about
    1) Being aesthetically pleasing.
    2) Lore - Fitting the Bio and Voicelines
    3) Justifying gameplay mechanics.

1) Old Nova model had better color diversity. There were real shades of black compared to the new Nova which is just monotonous blue-black. There is very little color contrast and as a whole, Luna looks bland.

2a) Voicelines part: Its pretty clear, Nova is a girl name. Good girl is a phrase used to describe Nova. (Based on common sense, Lions with manes = male. Lions without manes = female. Again, this is a generalization. There may be exceptions, but its akin to women with beards in real life. Sure there exist such women, but you do not generally associate that as a feminine quality.)
    2b) Bio part: Nightsilver Woods is likely a jungle or a forest. Lions live on plains, steppes etc. Panthers live in jungles, forests, woods etc.

3) Luna has the fastest starting movespeed. A quality associated with panthers, which are generally associated with speed more so than lions, which are generally associated with dominance/power.

Again, I like to emphasize on the point that even fantasy is anchored somewhat on reality and the experiences we get from reality.
    Sure in fantasy, we can have whatever we want, but anything ever deviating from reality is usually accompanied with reasons, justifications and setting.
    Gyrocopter might defy the laws of physics in our world, but perhaps Gyrocopter's machine is powered by magic partly too?
    Batrider's bat does not breathe fire, however, Batrider's bat is extremely large. This is not hard to justify since we can have eagles and we can have real giant eagles too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast's_Eagle

The fantasy of female lions with manes CAN exist. But just because something CAN exist, does it mean it SHOULD?
    Is it the best representation of the hero?
    A black panther with ties to Dota 1 heritage and 2012 Dota 2 heritage; is more associated with feminine qualities; is more agile and nimble; has more ties to reality
    SHOULD be more preferred over a bluish-black lion with a mane that clips into the ground and front paws?

No?
    ^This. The new nova feels monotone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
    ^This. The new nova feels monotone.
    you have not read the other posts after that right? xD

and of course a fucking amazing black lion, is more monotonous than a simple panther

lmao

Basic Member
    you have not read the other posts after that right? xD

and of course a fucking amazing black lion, is more monotonous than a simple panther

lmao
    I don't think you understand what monotone means.

Monotone is defined as dull, and repetitive. Modelwise, it's true that a mount with a mane has more edges and is jaggy, but then again so is Luna. If anything, the lion contributes the feeling of clusterfuck in the overall design of Luna as a hero.

The simplicity of the panther before did not take away from Luna but rather diverted the attention to her. Nova (panther) was colored a darker shade with a purple hue (The lion is light blue of the same shade as Luna), which meant that there was a sense of direction in aesthetic design. Furthermore, the panther contributed a sense of color diversity unlike the Luna+Lion who feels unsaturated and grey.

Technically they could color the Lion purple, but he still feels bulky and takes more attention from the actual "hero" of the overall design. Besides, a lion is very much uncharacteristic of what is described in Luna's Lore.

But why am I wasting time typing this? Valve already enabled Luna for the workshop so there's no way we can get the old nova back. It was a good fight Ladies and Gentlemen. Good but very one sided. Let's move on to better things.

Dota 2 Update - November 26th, 2013
    Product Update - Valve 09:16
    DIRETIDE
    - Wave of Force damage is no longer reflectable

WORKSHOP
    - Enabled Luna on the workshop with new model and texture files

Quote Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
    Monotone is defined as dull, and repetitive. Modelwise, it's true that a mount with a mane has more edges and is jaggy, but then again so is Luna. If anything, the lion contributes the feeling of clusterfuck in the overall design of Luna as a hero.

The simplicity of the panther before did not take away from Luna but rather diverted the attention to her. Nova (panther) was colored a darker shade with a purple hue (The lion is light blue of the same shade as Luna), which meant that there was a sense of direction in aesthetic design. Furthermore, the panther contributed a sense of color diversity unlike the Luna+Lion who feels unsaturated and grey.

Technically they could color the Lion purple, but he still feels bulky and takes more attention from the actual "hero" of the overall design. Besides, a lion is very much uncharacteristic of what is described in Luna's Lore.

But why am I wasting time typing this? Valve already enabled Luna for the workshop so there's no way we can get the old nova back. It was a good fight Ladies and Gentlemen. Good but very one sided. Let's move on to better things.
    INb4 valve releases old Nova mount for $5.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Nope. Windows Explorer is not a database
    Take a look into the mirror! You think you are completely unfailable. With your limited knowledge, you think that you know more than someone who is very deep in the matter/an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfeather View Post
    INb4 valve releases old Nova mount for $5.00
    Arcana please.

Have we all forgot about copyright laws?
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnoloh View Post
    Have we all forgot about copyright laws?
    Yeah...
    Which part is copyrighted?

Have you forgotten to read up on the subject before posting ignorantly?
    He's the hero this community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt his identity, because he can take it, because he's not our hero. He's a silent buffer, a watchful nerfer. An IceFrog.

My Speedtest Result

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVAH. NOOOOOO- Okay I'll stop now.

I do agree, Nova should be a sleek, sexy panther. Not some overly furry and bulky black lion thing.

Basic Member
    Ha ha, that update sucks.
    A very bad job there, Volvo.
    The man who did the job should be fired the hell out of the company.
    My precious Alleria, the Windrunner becomes the stupid retarded braindead "Wind Ranger".
    Maybe it should have been "Walker, Texas Ranger"? Or "Range Rover"?
    Really, "wind runner", "drow ranger" — who cares 'bout those bitches, nobody even knows their names' meaning... The Hats are what matters. More useless stupid new heroes and more hats. More crafting and other stupid shit for kids.
    Where is my precious sexy nightly panther called Nova?
    What is that bulky stupid brutal lion thing?
    "Necrophos" is retarded as hell and so is his new voice.
    And the stupid useless "Stone Sucker" is fucking everyone's brain with his stupid stones.
    I have one word left for what you are doing with my precious DotA: Horrible...
    Last edited by kuchumovn; 12-09-2013 at 02:27 PM.