Thread: How does valve actually pay the workshop people?

Basic Member

Question How does valve actually pay the workshop people?

All I know right now is:
    - we get 25% for our work
    - if the item gets in a chest, u take 25% of the key sells and split it to how many items are in that chest (not including couriers, right?)
    - same as the chest items with the wraith thingie for the new stuff

What I do not know is primarily how the market works. My guess is that we get 25% from the share that valve gets. Alright, but what about the tagged items? Strange, Unusual, Tournament and all these new ones like Frozen and Corrupt. Do we still get money from those?

The game changed a lot in the past months and the current info doesn't feel like enough. Since valve's income is primarily from virtual hats the least they could do is grant the creators full info on this thing.

So yeah, can any official enlighten me on this one? (since you don't bother accepting friend requests on steam)

I'm going to bump this not because I have an answer, but because I was wondering the same thing for TF2 and variants of community items sold on the market the same way (in my case, haunted versions of two of my items)

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    I don't speak for Valve, but from what I gather you get money in the following ways through your published item (according to http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/w...t/?appid=570):
    - Directly, when it is bought at the Dota 2 shop (you have a few choices here for what price you want to set).
    - Indirectly, through sales of keys for a specific chest type; ie. Earth Spirits' Chest key will grant everyone who published an item contained in the chest, a cut of the sales (the income is determined between the publisher and Valve, for each contributor of the chest that the key opens).
    - Through "Bundling" (ie. a set or bundle with multiple items from multiple contributors), each contributor of the pieces of a bundle/set will get an even share of the cost of that bundle/set.
    - Through the Steam Market, if Valve so chooses to share revenue on the sales, which I don't think is enabled for Dota 2 (or other Valve games).

So to answer your question, market item sales are not shared with the item creators (unless otherwise specified, I believe). The sales are only 10% shared with Valve. So an item selling for 0.03 won't net much money for Valve (and for the item creator, if it was enabled), so it's negligible.

All the info is available, you just have to go looking for it

In gum.

What I want to know is HOW I get the money? What happens to it?

Does it go to my Steam Wallet, or I get it separately to my bank/PayPal in payouts?

If Steam Wallet, can I get a payout?

If direct payout, is there minimum amount? Or is it regular/manual?

There is absolutely zero info I could find about this.
    Last edited by Storm; 12-21-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

Does it go to my Steam Wallet, or I get it separately to my bank/PayPal in payouts?

Work for me . I will pay you with dota 2 items

send me pm

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoka View Post
    I don't speak for Valve, but from what I gather you get money in the following ways through your published item (according to http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/w...t/?appid=570):
    - Directly, when it is bought at the Dota 2 shop (you have a few choices here for what price you want to set).
    - Indirectly, through sales of keys for a specific chest type; ie. Earth Spirits' Chest key will grant everyone who published an item contained in the chest, a cut of the sales (the income is determined between the publisher and Valve, for each contributor of the chest that the key opens).
    - Through "Bundling" (ie. a set or bundle with multiple items from multiple contributors), each contributor of the pieces of a bundle/set will get an even share of the cost of that bundle/set.
    - Through the Steam Market, if Valve so chooses to share revenue on the sales, which I don't think is enabled for Dota 2 (or other Valve games).

So to answer your question, market item sales are not shared with the item creators (unless otherwise specified, I believe). The sales are only 10% shared with Valve. So an item selling for 0.03 won't net much money for Valve (and for the item creator, if it was enabled), so it's negligible.

All the info is available, you just have to go looking for it
    How is this even fair, this is terrible. After a few weeks or so your items will be available on the steam market and no one will buy them from the actual dota2 store. What about tourny items and stuff, those sell for a lot too.

How could you even think this is a fair system?

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

I'm sure the info is somewhere in the legal agreement, otherwise it may be confidential. Regardless, you need to sign some forms (if you're item is added to the game) and such before Valve will even begin to pay you. I'm sure you get paid like any other job; direct deposit to the bank, but I could be wrong and it might be through PayPal. Since I'm not sure if Valve pays per-purchase or on an interval.

Quote Originally Posted by polkunus View Post
    How is this even fair, this is terrible. After a few weeks or so your items will be available on the steam market and no one will buy them from the actual dota2 store. What about tourny items and stuff, those sell for a lot too.

How could you even think this is a fair system?
    You'd be surprised how long an item can sell after its release. That and the constant influx of players will guarantee some sort of flow of revenue. Also you're expecting to make a living off of one item/product/submission, which is simply not how it works. You have to constantly be working on new items to make some good coin from the store
    Last edited by Toyoka; 12-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.

All the items people sell on the market came from buy or chest etc. so you already got paid for it. :P
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]