View Poll Results: Which modes should be available in ranked matchmaking?

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Pick (AP)

167 41.03%
  • Random Draft (RD)

233 57.25%
  • Single Draft (SD)

105 25.80%
  • All Random (AR)

79 19.41%
  • Captains Mode (CM)

307 75.43%
  • Captains Draft (CD)

250 61.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Which modes does the ranked matchmaking really need?

Which modes does the ranked matchmaking really need?

TL;DR: AP is great for learning/mastering, but it's not competitive enough for higher mmr's. CM and CD are terrible for solo queue. Vote which modes you feel are needed.

Finally mmr is visible, congratulations to everyone who voted once again.

Nevertheless I would like to question the provided modes, because I find them not very suitable for solo queuing at higher MMR's (4500+). There has been a similar thread, but I didn't like how the voting was organized and it's obsolete anyway.

I don't want to directly criticize modes which exist in ranked MM at the moment(ap, cd, cm), I guess you all know the drawbacks of them, and ap is definitely leading by both popularity and issues it has. CD and CM are just bad for a solo queue: for me it's almost impossible to datamine what my teammates can actually play well or explain the gameplan I had while picking, nor can I trust the picks to a random guy, who, probably, has a significantly lower mmr or just has no idea about drafting.

Please note that extra queues(any extra mode) increase search time and, consequently, decrease matching quality - so vote for as little options as possible.

I, personally, think that only ap and rd should exist in ranked mmr. CM and CD are great modes, but only for the team - they should be presented in team matchmaking. AP should stay as a "noob mode" - there's no point in forcing someone who just plays one or two heroes to play a limited RD pool.

I have played hundreds of rd games in a ranked, competitive environment, back in dota1, and it makes both the drafting stage and the game much more interesting and skill-based. I also suggest order of picks in RD to go from higher MMR to lower, but it's a side suggestion not related to the poll.

Thank you for your time, please vote.
    Last edited by soprof; 08-11-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    You're only as strong as your weakest link.
    -Thomas Reid

Banned
    Why not everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Avidity View Post
    Why not everything?
    Because
    Please note that extra queue's increase search time and, consequently, decrease matching quality - so vote for as little options as possible.
    -Thomas Reid

Banned
    No need to make compromise.

Introducing MMR range filter would solve a lot of problems.

if order of picks goes by descending MMR, aren't you then putting the pressure of counter-picking on "less skilled" players? I guess you could make arguments about this in either direction, so I think it should probably be random

Quote Originally Posted by Avidity View Post
    No need to make compromise.

Introducing MMR range filter would solve a lot of problems.
    not the subject, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by func_door View Post
    if order of picks goes by descending MMR, aren't you then putting the pressure of counter-picking on "less skilled" players? I guess you could make arguments about this in either direction, so I think it should probably be random
    Probs you are right, it's not to big of a deal anyway.

What I was thinking is that first positions have limited time to choose, so they are kinda under pressure.
    -Thomas Reid

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soprof View Post
    not the subject, sorry

Please note that extra queues(any extra mode) increase search time and, consequently, decrease matching quality - so vote for as little options as possible.
    Why compromise when you can fix the problem by introducing MMR range filter?

You get to have your cake and eat it too.

Banned
    RD is the BEST mode for pubs. No contest

you can counter pick
    you have to be mindful of the hero pool and what you pick

THE most balanced mode for pub games. Why is it not in the game but AP the most cancerous game mode is? VALVE

Basic Member
    Remove AP add RD and everything would be fine. I don't really know why you'd want to keep the most imbalanced mode out there. Might aswell add AR if it doesn't matter.

don't get me wrong, i'm not the hater of ap mode: ap is hands-down the best practice mode for unranked games =D
    -Thomas Reid