Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Be able to add notes to other players

[Suggestion] Be able to add notes to other players

There should be a function to be able to write small notes (good AND bad ones) about each player so that when you get matched up with them again, you get to know them a bit better

Example of good notes:
    - good support, wards everytime on cooldown
    - friendly player that makes good ingame calls with good communication

Example of bad notes:
    - feeder with no map awareness even with wards up
    - flamer for no reason

If there was a feature like this, when you get matched up with people that you wrote good notes you already know that you like to play with them so you would be inclined to add them to friendlist and to your party, thus improving on the social friends. On the other hand for bad players this would be very useful to know why they are muted and how little you can rely upon them

Atleast in my case, I have lots and lots of animals muted, so this would be very useful to know if they are muted because they just flame all the time or if they are really bad feeders and just talk crap

PROS:

- Remembering players, thus largely improving social factor of the game
    - Removes the need to mute feeders that don't flame
    - Very useful draft habit information for CM mode
    - Rewards good playing and communication
    - Improves overall game quality
    - Private and client side feature
    - Optional so can be completely ignored by whoever doesn't want to use

CONS:
    - Takes maybe half an hour to program?
    - Flamers might want to take revenge on good players?? (can be solved with mute)
    Last edited by Luffydude; 01-08-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Simple and obvious things that should get fixed/added asap: SCOREBOARD, Ingame friend list, Different Ping for Roshan, Add Notes to Players, Accept Button while tabbed

Sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffydude View Post
    Atleast in my case, I have lots and lots of animals muted, so this would be very useful to know if they are muted because they just flame all the time or if they are really bad feeders and just talk crap
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

People tend to have different opinions about what is good or what is bad performance. A few days ago I had a match with venge where I stunned an enemy (who was trying to dive my super-agressive, low-hp carry on easy lane), then bodyblocked him but it still wasn't enough to save the carry because he seemed to have a strange fear of treelines. Result? He called me a noob for not using my salve on him and reported me. A normal player would've appreciated that I even tried to buy him some more time to escape with bodyblocking after the stun expired, but Captain Awesome here thought different. Oh well.

We all know these players and I'd really rather not have them write any comments about my performance all over my Dota profile. It might distract good players from my actual level of skill.

I generally like this idea, but I'd rather combine it with a feature that already exists ingame: Make the comments at commendations visible and allow the user to delete them (in case someone uses commendations to write insults). And don't add an option that allows negative feedback. If you don't have a lot of commendations then people can guess from the sheer amount how bad you actually perform, and vice versa - without any dimwits sharing their ignorance with the world.

dont need it. if the players are good, commend em. if the players are bad, just report em. that's easy.

Banned
    I honestly don't care as long as you're the only one that can see the notes. I never get matched with players I've played with before.

Quote Originally Posted by Automedic View Post
    If you don't have a lot of commendations then people can guess from the sheer amount how bad you actually perform, and vice versa - without any dimwits sharing their ignorance with the world.
    Your idea is really flawed simply because of commend traders... guys which have about 300 games but like 800 commends.

This suggestion is about private notes. You write whatever you want, and no one will be able to see it but you until the next time you get matched up with the same player

Simple and obvious things that should get fixed/added asap: SCOREBOARD, Ingame friend list, Different Ping for Roshan, Add Notes to Players, Accept Button while tabbed

I really like this idea! Have a +1

There should be a function to be able to write small notes (good AND bad ones) about each player so that when you get matched up with them again, you get to know them a bit better

Example of good notes:
    - good support, wards everytime on cooldown
    - friendly player that makes good ingame calls with good communication

Example of bad notes:
    - feeder with no map awareness even with wards up
    - flamer for no reason

If there was a feature like this, when you get matched up with people that you wrote good notes you already know that you like to play with them so you would be inclined to add them to friendlist and to your party, thus improving on the social friends. On the other hand for bad players this would be very useful to know why they are muted and how little you can rely upon them

How is this not locked ?

You don't need bad notes you need banlist, you don't need good notes either you need Informal friendships

Quote Originally Posted by nadaga View Post
    How is this not locked ?

You don't need bad notes you need banlist, you don't need good notes either you need Informal friendships
    Why lock a good suggestion...?

Banlist is pretty extreme and has a lot of cons to it, even if it might make games better. That other suggestion is just bad... So I will only like good players and be matched up with them? Lol easy wins every game

Your idea is really flawed simply because of commend traders... guys which have about 300 games but like 800 commends.

This suggestion is about private notes. You write whatever you want, and no one will be able to see it but you until the next time you get matched up with the same player
    Why would they do that? You can trade commendations right now, and you can publicly view commendations right now as well. All that would change was a small message below the commendations, for those who care to read them.

As you didn't state those comments were supposed to be private I just assumed you would want them public. But even for private comments I'd stay with my system to let you only leave positive messages. Seriously, nobody would give a damn about negative feedback. If the carry I mentioned above would've dropped a message with his report, stating "use salve on me next time, dickhead" I wouldn't exactly think "Wow, that's some nice and interesting feedback. I'm sure I will get a better player if I listen to every tip this guy gives me! *note to self: use salve next time rather than blocking. 20 hp for the carry and 115 gold loss > chance to escape; Ok, got it.". So as the gain will be close to zero (besides that warm feeling some self-righteous idiots would get from being able to state their opinion once more) and the side-effects would be a more toxic environment (More places to flame! Yeah!) I'd say keep it for friendly notes only. That they they will at least have to commend you if they really want to leave a message.