Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 596 MMR - What Should I Do

Question 596 MMR - What Should I Do

Believing that public deserve to know the truth about Dota2 notorious Matchmaking so we can help make it better in a much shorter timeframe, I too started an experiment of my own to find out how fast MMR changes for people not belonging in their own Bracket. However, Juice@PlayDota beated me to it. And since he's already ahead of me in starting, I'm not really sure what to do anymore with this account & so would be open to some suggestions.

My Account, Captain America, is now Level 13 with 596 MMR.

I achieved this record by AFK Jungling, a strategy that without it this experiment could not happen, as I simply do not have the patience in dealing with men from this Bracket. As it turns out, this is the only way I could cope with these sorts of teammates - by completely dissociating myself from the game over half the time. I do come back to the game after 20 - 30 minutes to register some Scoreboard Stats & afk more or help turn games the way I want; at which point I would have some items, sometimes, sadly, even better than what my teammates have. Suppressing one's skill is much harder than I originally thought; I did let myself go 5 times by picking Phantom Lancer and I'm sure there are some consequences, even though it is just 5 out of 170 games or less than 3% of total games played.

While Jungling, I sometimes observe the activities of these lesser men who genuinely belong in this Bracket, here's what I found:
    • 80% of the time, there will be at least 4 Carry Heroes in a team
    • 25% of the time, there will be at least 2 Mid Heroes in a team
    • 90% of the time, Lane Selection Function is not used. Very early in Hero Selection Phase of every game, I would notify teammates that I will take the Jungling Role; even then, the rest of them will not use this function. Sometimes, I would switch my Lane around, hoping that some movement on screen might illustrate to my teammates that this useful function is available, but they go to waste. Why they just flat out refuse to use this function? I do not know.
    • A team with Riki/Bloodseeker who does not go for Tranquil Boots/Force Staff normally wins. The thing with Rupture Ultimate is probably that in this Bracket if they want to run they will run full length or panic & do small clicks to move everywhere in close proximity anyways that there is absolutely no need to push them any further. I have seen people spamming "Please pick Riki & Bloodseeker" during Hero Selection Phase.
    • At least 3 Heroes from each game have Boots of Speed as their Starting Item
    • Over 33% of the time, there is death within the first 2 minutes
    • 90% of the time, less than 2 people in game will carry Town Portal Scrolls. Occasionally, they are used to teleport to a Tower with no enemies nearby to farm, but there will be no Scroll left to teleport back to a Tower under threat that needs defending. Why their logic dictates the former being more important in a team game? I do not know.
    • 90% of the time, no Ward is bought
    • 99% of the time, no Smoke is bought (during period when I was not afk, I've seen only 1 incident where it was bought for use; not counting an incident where my teammate bought a Smoke then sell it back after few seconds to buy Dust against an enemy Riki)
    • Over 33% of the time, there will be a leaver. This include all kinds of leaves, each of which happened more than once: picked hero then straight up Abandoned 5 seconds after, straight up Abandon after going 0-1-0, 0-2-0, etc. (with the definition of straight up Abandon being that the guy did not even wait the full 5 minutes to completely Abandon).
    • If there were Couriers, they died; but on each event it was so situational that I'm not able to replicate any of it. To my eyes, they are truly unintentional, mostly walking them across the river using weird path while engaging in combat. There was never any mass Courier feeding.
    • 66% of the time, my team/enemy do not acknowledge my Hero existence (when I was around to notice). There will be no chat, no Map Ping, they just play their game as if they do not look at Mini Map or realize a player is missing from all activities. From Account Level 1 to 11, I've received a total of 5 Report "threats" from teammates in Chat, one occurred on my 1st game, and others coincidentally after each of my Phantom Lancer games. Captain America has never been put in Low Priority Queue due to Reporting (he did get into Low Priority once, however, because Morphling's Attack Range was too short & got me to actually abandon unaware while being afk 2 games on the same day).
    • Over 75% of the time, there is 0 Team Communication; 5 random non strategy related Messages ("lag", "haha", "noob", "cyka", "****", etc.) by a single person with 0 response is considered empty here; "help" counts as strategy related Message.
    • Saying "lag" when you feed makes it okay, and people forgive you for it.
    • People in this Bracket cannot differentiate an afk person & a noob, I don't think I've seen the word "afk" typed, ever. However, I sometimes got to see "noob [insert hero name]" or "bobo [insert hero name]" (whatever that means) in Team Chat, with absolutely 0 communication regarding team strategy or what's required to win games.
    • Some games are EXTREMELY hard to lose. I can confidently say if I hadn't die a little more than in should in some games, my record would not be this low. At least 40% of the time, I was destined to win while BEING AFK & ABSENT for the whole game.
      In this game (http://dotabuff.com/matches/448619976) I had to role play an angry dude who held Keyboard Shift Button before he typed everything, therefore actively gave out all strategies on All Chat to indirectly teach enemies how to win game versus my team's line up. It was such pity to see enemies farming around or go invisible with little to no health against a teammate Bloodseeker who was actively hunting that I had to do something. Seeing how my enemy Outworld Devourer started with a Tranquil Boots & Bounty Hunter got a Linken Sphere versus Bloodseeker & Phantom Assassin, you would understand how hard it is to aid them while being on another side. A 1-25-11 performance by me did not go to waste, but even then it was a close game with both team's middle Barracks down before Throne, very close.
      Then there are games like this (http://dotabuff.com/matches/452228535) where Radiant's enemy Lion's Starting Items were 3 Healing Potions & 5 Mana Potions with nothing else who proceed to go on Auto Attack battles against my teammate Viper to a 0-8-0 start in the first 10 minutes. I took it upon myself to balance the game in whichever way I could, but my 1-17-4 performance was not enough; enemy Lion finished the game with 3-21-11, with Power Thread as his only completed item.
      This game (http://dotabuff.com/matches/460040522) featured a godsend try hard Crystal Maiden, who picked Support because the team needed it, got team Skill Combinations planned, & actively lead the team on chat, he's all about winning (the guy is so into it that he Reported me after I path blocked his Hero while being chased by enemy Razor who had trouble catching up to a Crystal Maiden with Power Threads; all other times people in this Bracket just assume its unintentional & call me noob). And this is all against an enemy Spirit Breaker who played WITHOUT BOOTS for the WHOLE 50 Minutes Game (best reason I can come up with is he thought why run when you can Charge all the time), & an enemy Venomancer who missed 70% of his Ultimate and skills, his skills will be used on locations at which enemies had already departed from FULL 2-3 Seconds before he launched them - and we are talking MISS ULTIMATES here. When I first saw this Venomancer I just knew he cannot be counted on to win a game. If it were not for my 1-3-0 teammate Tinker who Abandoned right after the 0-0-0 enemy Sniper did, which allowed me to utilize his hero to a 1-17-2 score, the game would not have been close.

I must mention that after each of my Phantom Lancer games I do feel that many of the above descriptions do not fit, which required me to calibrate my games to where my proforma performance is suppose to be, and not from 5 out of 150 games that I play for the full game minutes; perhaps 500+% increase in KDA & 300+% increase in GPM in 1 game triggers Smurf Detection in Non Ranked Games.

Throughout my expedition, I've also taken the time to add a total of 11 people with Dotabuff account who belong in this Bracket. It was my intention to watch their games from time to time to figure out what it is they do that cause them to lose that many games "involuntarily" (they average around 1.67 KDA with 35% winning percentage), but I never had the time, or enough interest, to spectate any one of them. Two of them even went through 10 Calibration Matches already & have around 1300 MMR.
    If any of you are interested in adding them up, please do so, & I would really appreciate some sharing. I'm not too sure if posting their names here is in accordance with the Forums Rules, so feel free to PM me & I can give you the list which I've added notes to them in this order: [name] ([average KDA], [winning percentage at time of add], [MMR]). You can also find them by going through my Recent Matches on Dotabuff.

1 World 1 Language, wouldn't that be nice

If this thread gets locked, I'm DDoSing the site.

Very interesting stuff, though I've only read the opening and closing for fear of this thread getting insta-locked. I'll edit my thoughts in.

edit: that was refreshingly entertaining, thank you - so how low of an MMR will you settle with, after which you'd start playing properly? Do you not worry about a possible mental breadown when you start doing your best to no avail?
    Last edited by kuvasz; 01-24-2014 at 02:23 AM.
    Check my My Steam profile for trade interests, etc.

Banned
    wow and i thought i was low(2.4k mmr)

Basic Member
    so you're stating a lot things low skilled people do or dont do?Ofcourse they don't, thats why its 500 rating. You're just saying these people are bad.

What should you do? Play a solo hero and try to dominate the game. Thats all there is to it. Maybe mid. Woods i wouldnt do, since these creeps dont care about how good you are, they are always stationary, but a good player mid or on the lane will get many kills.
    So.. do that.

thanks for the read
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your hype ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

So, you intentionally lost 100 games just to see how low mmr you can get to?
    What's the point of this thread? Or I have read to much and forgot?
    The thread question has it's answer: If you want to win, finish tutorials first, use item suggestion builds, don't play only phantom lancer, try other heroes... and so on.

Your statistics shows something normal at that low mmr...It's absolutely normal to happen as explained there... they are noobs(beginners), and they will learn in time... or quit.
    This is how Dota2 games should look like! Game 1_Game 2_Game 3_Game 4_Game 5_Game 6

I really dont get it.

1)You throw matches on purpose. Spoil games.
    2)Your mmr drops to 596
    3)And you call Valve match making is broken.

Really WTF is your problem... Get a life.

What else do you expect in a low bracket like that. And you claim you are doing an experiment , omg the oxymoron in that line made me cringe.

Basic Member
    okay.. you went down on purpose?from what prior rating? Thats pretty important. Whether you came form 1500 before, or 2500 or 5000.

pretty sure he played like this from level 1. could be reading op wrong tho
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your hype ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I think the MM has improved a lot since the introduction of visible rating. People are playing significantly better.
    There are still trolls, but since they are not trolling every single game (because then they would not have a high rating) it is hard to filter them
    Never underestimate the power of the masses.