Thread: Anyone got autoexec.cfg to work properly?

Basic Member

Anyone got autoexec.cfg to work properly?

I'm having trouble getting my cfg file to actually work. It works fine on my BootCamp partition but I'm trying to get the Mac version working if I can. The main thing I'm trying to do is get key binds to move the camera to the rune spots.

Here's the text of my autoexec:

bind "F2 "dota_camera_setpos -2273.898682 1232.745483 982.072876"
    bind "F3 "dota_camera_setpos 3035.773438 -2972.680176 966.072937"
    echo autoexec.cfg loaded

I put that file in the cfg folder. I loaded up a lobby to test it out - when i type exec autoexec.cfg into the console, it says something along these lines:
    bind <key> [command] - attach a command to a key
    autoexec.cfg loaded

I'm not sure what's going on - it seems like that last line indicates it's being loaded but it doesn't seem to like rebinding keys?
    If anyone needs additional technical specs about the system I'm running to help get to the bottom of this, just let me know.

Have you tried binding them to other keys, like "B" or "M"?
    Do you have other bindings already set to F2 and F3 before running the autoexec manually?

It runs for sure, but the echo of the config being loaded is just another command and has no bearing on whether the bindings executed successfully.

Basic Member
    Oh yeah, I just have the echo there to make sure it's at least reading the file, I know that the binding commands clearly aren't working due to that pseudo-error message its giving me.

I don't have anything bound to f2 or f3 in my settings, but I know when I was looking through the config there were the following commands (bind "F3" "askconnect_accept") but nothing for F2.

I also tried doing other hotkey binds (I believe I tried "," and ".") and it gave me the exact same result.

Have you tried putting the binding in the config.cfg? I know the manual execution of the autoexec should override it, but maybe there's a bug somewhere.

And your checked your bindings in the settings panel, right? Not just in the config files.

Basic Member
    I was actually trying to do it in the config.cfg file originally, but every time I started Dota it would reset my config file and I wouldn't have my additions anymore. Any tips in that regard? Was I doing something wrong there? I'll give it another shot.

And yes, I checked my settings panel binding as wel.

EDIT: Tried the config file again, same deal. All changes I made got erased upon starting up Dota.
    Last edited by bryyguy89; 01-24-2014 at 04:29 PM.

You could set the config files and then mark as read-only to see if that has any positive effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bryyguy89 View Post
    I'm having trouble getting my cfg file to actually work. It works fine on my BootCamp partition but I'm trying to get the Mac version working if I can. The main thing I'm trying to do is get key binds to move the camera to the rune spots.

Here's the text of my autoexec:

bind "F2 "dota_camera_setpos -2273.898682 1232.745483 982.072876"
    bind "F3 "dota_camera_setpos 3035.773438 -2972.680176 966.072937"
    echo autoexec.cfg loaded

I put that file in the cfg folder. I loaded up a lobby to test it out - when i type exec autoexec.cfg into the console, it says something along these lines:
    autoexec.cfg loaded

I'm not sure what's going on - it seems like that last line indicates it's being loaded but it doesn't seem to like rebinding keys?
    If anyone needs additional technical specs about the system I'm running to help get to the bottom of this, just let me know.
    Your quotation marks are bad.

bind "f2" "dota_camera_setpos -2273.898682 1232.745483 982.072876"
    bind "f3" "dota_camera_setpos 3035.773438 -2972.680176 966.072937"
    Try those lines instead.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.

Basic Member
    Nice, thanks guys, I managed to get it to work. I tried pasting what hoveringmover typed and it got my f3 bind to work but not my f2 bind for some reason. So I ended up pasting the f2 bind command into config.cfg and then making it read-only and now I've got both binds working! Appreciate the help both of ya.
    Last edited by bryyguy89; 01-24-2014 at 05:47 PM.

I don't think read-only is necessary for this file. It has never been overwritten. I would be horrified if that happened. Should I make a backup of the file?
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.