Thread: The War Begins - Play vs. Humans - no replays available

Angry The War Begins - Play vs. Humans - no replays available

Limited heroes replays won't be available. Always! Fix it!
    Last edited by 7atrickDeluxe; 03-04-2014 at 05:03 AM.

I think players should be prompted on replays like these ones against bots, asking them if they want to download a replay. If so, then make a replay available for download for a short window of time, perhaps 2 to 24 hours(I'm not sure what is reasonable for Valve to offer it up for). Part of the problem I'm having with a lot of new players is that they act like the replay system doesn't exist in all its glory. I think they're pretty good but then when I realize they are not dynamically improving over time by watching replays my excitement upon meeting them totally fizzles out. Perhaps if you had this option to watch the replays from the start, and the question to ask if they want to download a replay of the game would help the entire meta of the game.

You might even consider making a message asking players if they want to automatically download a replay so that they can just idle their computer while they go do something else, and come back to review the replay. This would also encourage thinking on ways to improve instead of what is now happening which is players just grinding for more battle points or cosmetics or whatever. Right now players that are trying to improve don't actually watch the replays which is the single most important thing they can be doing. Instead, they watch YouTube videos and/or Twitch streams and they think that they will suddenly become better players just because of a minor and sometimes irrelevant boost in knowledge.

I know a lot of people playing the game just don't take breaks, when they can play the game they just play game after game after game. And they rarely if ever watch any replays I'm quite sure, they wouldn't have the time since they play so many games. There's nothing wrong with doing things the hard way necessarily, but many more players than the ones that have too much time are the ones that don't have enough time to be doing the same thing. If you don't have time for 12 games a day for example, then you probably shouldn't be playing your max number of games to begin with. You could be playing 1/2 of that time and then reviewing the games you just played. 11 games possible in a day? Then play 5 games, review 5 games, and take a break in between.
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 02-05-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.

Last edited by 7atrickDeluxe; 03-04-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7atrickDeluxe View Post
    I totally agree with you but thats not what i intended with this topic.
    The replay system actually does not exist for limited heroes. No replay will be available.
    And i'm not talking about bot games, i'm not talking about abandoned games, i'm talking about full and real games in this mode.

2 reasons for this behaviour come to my mind:

1. - It's a bug. In this case Valve should fix it asap. It will be an easy bugfix to be honest.
    2. - Valve doesn't want to provide a replay feature for "limited heroes". Does this make any sense? No not at all because it's important to make things easy for beginners.

I would like to advertise for DOTA by making some youtube videos. Advices for beginners, replay commentary and stuff like that (in german). But i can't because i don't get any replays in this mode.
    I agree with all those points. I think a question for those games asking if the players want to download the replay for a very limited time is much better than not recording the replay at all. I wasn't trying to look like I didn't understand what you were going on about, I just wanted to expand on what we want.

I know they have a history of having ridiculous bugs, but I figured this omission of being able to save replays in LH was just as purposeful on their part as it is for the bots games. If I'm wrong well, I still think my idea would work nicely for every game they would normally choose to not record. You might be slightly annoyed at having to confirm your affirmation of your wish of downloading the replays again and again, but at least that would lighten the load I suppose on the servers somewhat as they won't have to store as many replays as otherwise.

They could even extend this idea to every single replay and add it as an option, automatic off(don't want Valve to save replay) or automatic on(always want Valve to save replay, they probably would choose to not include this option), or prompt at the end of a game. As long as there is one person wanting to save the replay, it gets saved.
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 02-05-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.