Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: GetMatchHistory date_min/date_max issues

Basic Member
    Especially now that there's fantasy draft available, you'd think they'd pay more attention than ever to stats parsing and programs, so we can help cultivate a successful fantasy dota 2 community, which WON'T be possible if they don't fix their API.

In addition, they've closed off basically all other methods of retrieving stats and data besides their API. If you're going to restrict us to using only your API as the only method of gathering data, you should probably make sure that it works.

Basic Member
    As tempting as it is to rage at Valve all day, I think we need to remember that they have no obligation to have any API at all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaun7707 View Post
    As tempting as it is to rage at Valve all day, I think we need to remember that they have no obligation to have any API at all.
    Basically they have no obligation to do anything anyway. That's just a damn weak argument used every day to avoid criticism. The API was made and (more or less) maintained for a year or longer, can't we expect Valve to fix the most critical bugs (Just a reminder: This worked just some weeks ago)? If Valve didn't want the API they would have never worked on it in first place. In my mind it's a pity that this API, that could be used in so many ways to contribute to the community (I think dotabuff for example is the most used Dota 2 site maybe next to jD or other news sites) seems so deprecated and left alone.

Basic Member
    This is just my own baseless conjecture, but usually when Valve stops 'maintaining' something, then that means they're planning on updating/releasing a load of things at once. I'm a little worried about this happening, in the sense that I'm only now making my own API based-website, and if they release a huge update to the API I'll be both happy, and sad that I'll have to reconfigure everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lodagema View Post
    This is just my own baseless conjecture, but usually when Valve stops 'maintaining' something, then that means they're planning on updating/releasing a load of things at once. I'm a little worried about this happening, in the sense that I'm only now making my own API based-website, and if they release a huge update to the API I'll be both happy, and sad that I'll have to reconfigure everything.
    that's what happened to me.. I had my site working and then they took the API down (around international 2 time i think it was...)
    then when they brought it back it had skills and druid bear items and field names had changed.. so much work that I scrapped my entire website (it was really poorly written, less a website and more a set of unrelated php scripts accessing a DB..), and I vowed to rewrite so it was much cleaner, such maintainable, many wow.
    I tried several times to get motivated to write a php MVC backend for it.. but could not get motivated to rewrite my old code.

Until recently when I scrapped all of that backend, grabbed GelioS's API and started writing an AngularJS front-end with a restful backend. Best decision I've ever made!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaun7707 View Post
    I would say that since they shut down all other methods of parsing data, like what dotabuff was using before they switched to the API (using the dota client itself, I think?), they are obligated to maintain their API.

Basic Member
    I posted a query to Gabe in his AMA. Long shot, but maybe he'll see it

Give up and move on. Leave it to the big-boys.

speaking of broken.. API is down again...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster42 View Post
    speaking of broken.. API is down again...
    Indeed. What is the most reliable way of telling, because I swear http://steamstat.us/ never actually tells me when the API is down. I have resorted to checking Dotabuff because it's usually on their page...

Need to add this kind of error checking but priorities, man!