Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heroes of Dota are similiar to the characters of Warcraft universe, who are these?

Basic Member

Heroes of Dota are similiar to the characters of Warcraft universe, who are these?

Okay we all know that heroes of Dota are similiar to the characters of warcraft universe like Terrorblade as Illidan, Invoker as Kael, Tinker as Gazlowe. But i want to know if ALL Dota heroes has a similiarity to a character in Warcraft universe or just some of them? I wanna know every hero. I'm asking pretty toil i know, and English is not my first Language i know i did typos sorry

Basic Member
    Dota 2 originated from WC3 Dota.

WC3 Dota didn't use their own customized models but models from WC3 and WC3 is part of Warcraft universe. Other then this connection there are no connection to Warcraft.
    (It is possible to make customized models in WC3 but by doing so the custom game file would be really big. WC3 Dota was already pretty big. For example: Fight of Characters. So doing separate models wasn't really viable.)
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    While not every hero has ties to Warcraft universe, there are plenty of them. Few examples:
    Kunkka(Dota 2) - Admiral Daeling Proudmoore - father of lady Jaina Proudmoore, admiral of the fleet of Kul Tiras.
    Karroch the Beastmaster(Dota 2) - Rexxar - champion of the New Horde, the last son of Mok'Natal(not last, actually).
    Elder Titan(Dota 2) - Cairne Bloodhoof - leader of the Tauren.
    Nature's Prophet(Dota 2) - Furion - Malfurion Stormrage - the Archdruid, one of the Night Elf current leaders, brother to Illidan Stormrage.
    Windranger(Dota 2) - Alleria Windrunner - Head scout of the Alliance expedition to Draenor, sister to Sylvanas Windrunner and Vereesa Windrunner.
    Nyx Assasin(Dota 2) - Anub'arak - the last king of nerubian empire of Azjol-Nerub, killed in the War of the Spider, and raised as a loyal servat to the Lich King.
    I can dig it more, if you want me to.
    Possible solution to foreigners issue
    In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Also, Legion Commander(Dota 2) - Commander Garithos ( the moustache guy , hates elves, betrayed and killed )

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix. View Post
    2013: 10 heroes, 3 reworks, 4 events, hats, 1 arcana and TI
    2014: 4 heroes, 2 events, 2 arcanas, hats, 1 rework and TI.
    Lazyness. Not to mention the lack of bugfixes, and the amount of new ones with each new content added

Credits to Phoenix.

Basic Member Justinian of Hattes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion Commander View Post
    Also, Legion Commander(Dota 2) - Commander Garithos ( the moustache guy , hates elves, betrayed and killed )

actually no LC. Garithos of WC3 was not in Dota. TRESDIN just used his model and voicelines. Hence why it was stupid when people complained about Tresdin's character being ruined in the "sex change scandal" even when it was not his character to begin with.
    Last edited by Justinian of Hattes; 02-18-2014 at 02:38 PM.

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

All this is beside the point. The answer is that yeah no shit, the original was made in Warcraft 3 with Warcraft 3 models (mostly) and so the ports were bound to look similar.

I'll finish up the rest anyway.

The one to become Abyssal Underlord in Dota 2 was Azgalor the Pit Lord - both names are courtesy of Blizzard, Azgalor being a less prominent Pit Lord and Pit Lords themselves being pretty big in the story.

Witch Doctor's name was Vol'Jin for hell knows what reasons - he's the leader of the troll tribes in WC3.

The Lich in DotA was Kel'Thuzad, the lich of all liches in WC3 lore and Arthas' advisor.

Invoker's DotA name was Kael, from Kael'Thas Sunstrider, the main character of the Human (or, well, Blood Elf) campaign in TFT.

Disruptor from the original was Thrall, the Horde warchief. His initial title used to be Far Seer like in the campaigns, but got changed to the one we know now later.

And even though Tresdin wasn't Garithos, his shitty excuse of a backstory was a less shitty one compared to the rest of the original's - it is a bit logical to say that his personality got ruined, because him being a chauvinist pretty much was all of his personality. Those yelling monkeys still were in the wrong, but, well.

Also, Tinker isn't Gazlowe. Gazlowe used a mine squad model in TFT (Tinkers weren't in the game when the Horde campaign was made), and his name is Boush.
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 02-18-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

Basic Member
    You don't have to put LC into EVERYTHING. We're talking about heroes who have their true names in WC3 DotA. Also:
    Disruptor(Dota 2) - Thrall - Warchief of the New Horde, shaman.
    Shadow demon(Dota 2) - Eredar - while Eredar is a name of a race rather than a character, it's still strongly tied to Warcraft universe, considering that last(if we don't count Sargeras) leader of the Burning Legion - Kil'Jaden is a representative of this race.
    Ethreain, Lich(Dota 2) - Kel'Thuzad - once a human mage, now he is one of the closest followers of the Lich King.
    Invoker(Dota 2) - Kael'thas Sunstrider - prince of the sin'dorei(blood elves), who tried to save his people from addiction to arcane magic created after destruction of the Sunwell. He was an ally to Illidan, but ultimately betrayed him, aswell as his people, to serve Kil'Jaden and the Burning Legion.
    Zharvakko, the Witch Doctor(Dota 2) - Vol'Jin - chieftain of the Darkspear troll tribe, which is now an essential part of the New Horde. (He's also a new warchief of the New Horde, but that's another story).
    Slark(Dota 2) - Slark - I don't even know if it's a coincidence, but there is a rare murlock mob with the same name in World of Warcraft.
    Ostarion, the Skeleton(Wraith) King - King Leoric - this one isn't from Warcraft universe, but he is from another game universe created by Blizzard - Diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    Witch Doctor's name was Vol'Jin for hell knows what reasons - he's the leader of the troll tribes in WC3.
    There was an inconsistency on Blizzard's part: in the bonus campaing to TFT(I guess) you were able to play as Vol'Jin(or were you?) and his title was Witch Doctor. But the actual Vol'Jin's title/class is Shadow Hunter, so he just got retconned.
    Last edited by Redthirst; 02-18-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthirst View Post
    You don't have to put LC into EVERYTHING.
    You don't even know me, don't try to act like that pls.

Lazyness. Not to mention the lack of bugfixes, and the amount of new ones with each new content added

Credits to Phoenix.

Basic Member
    You don't even know me, don't try to act like that pls.
    Considering that your name, avatar and signature has a strong reference to LC, and you posted about him/her in this thread, even though he/she has a pretty weak connection to WC3, I can post things like that. But if you think that I'm being offensive, then I apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthirst View Post
    You can and you can't, i don't care anymore cuz we are derailing this thread , and Hefaistus doesn't like that. So lets stop it there. We can PM this if you want ( but i believe neither of us want to talk to each other anymore, at least i don't).

Credits to Phoenix.