Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Serpent Ward's Splash Damage is being calculated incorrectly.

Basic Member

[Confirmed] Serpent Ward's Splash Damage is being calculated incorrectly.

Splash Damage should have their damage reduced by armor and calculated individually.

It is calculated that way on Dragon Knight.
    You attack someone with 30 armor, it is reduced appropriately on the target and treats other targets hit by splash damage with their own armor values and types.

But on Shadow Shaman something totally different happens.

Let's say you attack a Lane Creep with Level 3 Aghanim Serpent Wards.

130 Damage * 0.893 because of the 2 Armor from the Creep * 1.5 because of the 50% extra Damage from Piercing Damage Type.

You will do 174 Damage to Creeps.

Now lets say you have a enemy Hero with 25 Armor on the 100% Splash Range of Shadow Shaman Wards. ( 85 Radius )

It should be doing :
    130 * 0.4 from 25 Armor reduction * 0.5 from Piercing Damage Type totalling 26 Damage.

Instead what it does is :
    Edited : It takes the Damage received by the targeted enemy, transforms into Magic Damage and then deals it to the units inside the Splash Radius.

Splash Damage should not be Magic Damage, it should be Physical Damage, using the attack type of the unit who caused it, which in this case is Piercing Damage ( http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Damage_types ).

So if you do 40 Damage to a Hero, creeps inside the 100% splash radius will take 40 damage, but if it's a hero they will take 30 damage no matter how many armor they have.
    If you do 180 Damage to a Creep, creeps inside the 100% splash radius will take 180 Damage, but if it's a hero they will take 135 damage no matter how many armor they have.

This is totally wrong and should be fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMASr5PbGJM

http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273825

For example on the video, you can see Serpent Wards doing 194 Damage to Ranged Creeps when attacking them and 128-130 to Centaur when it hit the Melee Creep with Centaur inside its 100% Splash Radius..

130 * 1.5 = 195 Damage. ( Ranged Creep has 0 Armor )
    195 * 0.892 = 173 ( Melee Creep Armor = 2 / 10.8% Damage Reduction )
    173 * 0.75 = 129.75 which is around the damage Centaur took. ( Because Centaur has 25% Magic Resistance on that video. )

EDIT : Found the reason of why this happens.
    Last edited by NightAven; 02-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.

This is the important part of that splash thread you linked

The damage type is that of the hero and is mitigated just as a normal attack for every target within the AoE of the splash, this means that all units armor values, armor types and damage blocking skills are applied per usual and will reduce this damage. Evasion does however not work against the splashed damage, only the main target may evade the attack, refer to this part when this occurs.

The amount of reduction is dependant on each unit within the splash area, this means that the amount of damage dealt to the main target is of no importance for the damage dealt to the side targets. The output damage does however matter, additional damage granted by Critical Strike or Bash abilities will enhance the amount of damage dealt to all targets within the splash AoE.

This means that cases where the side targets take less damage are as plausible as cases where the side targets takes more damage than the main target.
    Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    I tested some more and the damage people receive from Splash on Serpent Wards in Dota 2 is actually Magic Damage LOL.

So the Damage the original target receives is being converted to Magic Damage and then dealt in the targets inside the Splash Radius.

This explains why Heroes receive 75% instead of 50% and Creeps receive 100% instead of 150%.
    Also I tested with Treant from Furion and he received 80% and he has innate 20% Magic Resistance so that's how I discovered.
    Last edited by NightAven; 02-26-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Basic Member
    Here is proof of what I am talking about :
    http://i.imgur.com/uNZjTpo.jpg

Hmmm. So the damage type is wrong and it fully ignores armor.

Does it work properly against evasion at least?

Evasion should make the projectile still deal damage in all its 3 areas, but reduce that damage by 50%, and the projectile should not home and land there where the target was standing upon projectile launch. That reduced damage should also damage the unit which originally evaded the attack, as long as he stands in the splash area.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bu3ny View Post
    Hmmm. So the damage type is wrong and it fully ignores armor.

Does it work properly against evasion at least?

Evasion should make the projectile still deal damage in all its 3 areas, but reduce that damage by 50%, and the projectile should not home and land there where the target was standing upon projectile launch. That reduced damage should also damage the unit which originally evaded the attack, as long as he stands in the splash area.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=13563

I found this on the bug list about the evasion against splash thing :
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=40817

Basic Member
    I tested the evasion thing, it doesn't do any damage if the target evades the attack and the projectile still have "homing" property even if the attack is going to miss.

It'd be better if you chose a darker color. That bright green is hard to read on this bright background.

Basic Member
    I chose the green color to remove the text because if people still want to read it then they can select the text, but the text is wrong because it isn't based on the armor type of the hero but instead on the Magic Resistance.

I tried to preserve the original text so people can see if they wondered what I edited :[.

Quote Originally Posted by bu3ny View Post
    It'd be better if you chose a darker color. That bright green is hard to read on this bright background.
    Is it better now?
    Last edited by NightAven; 02-26-2014 at 11:36 AM.

One last thing, should splash be blocked by magic immunity?
    Talking about splash in general, not about the wards now. I know that the ward's splash gets blocked.