Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Android app removed due to IP infringement

Why don't all you guys with apps that were taken down from the app store email valve and get express written permission to use their IP images in your app.

Then you can go back to Google and say tough shit, I've got permission.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster42 View Post
    Why don't all you guys with apps that were taken down from the app store email valve and get express written permission to use their IP images in your app.

Then you can go back to Google and say tough shit, I've got permission.
    I've sent them a message using the contact form on the blog. No idea if they're still reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Voshond View Post
    I've sent them a message using the contact form on the blog. No idea if they're still reading that.
    They do.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Voshond View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with the app name. Dota 2 Guide by RedEyesStudios was removed, Dota 2 Guide by Gladomus is still available.
    Looks like the second app has now also been removed from the store. Could we get a comment on this situation?
    Last edited by Voshond; 05-17-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Basic Member
    I've gotten a complain about Redhot Tracker a week ago (I had to remove the app from AppStore, until the issue is solved).

Has anybody been able to solve the issue successfully on any Google Play or Apple Stores?
    Redhot Tracker - Dota 2 Tournament Tracker for iOS. Available on AppStore

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifer View Post
    I've gotten a complain about Redhot Tracker a week ago (I had to remove the app from AppStore, until the issue is solved).

Has anybody been able to solve the issue successfully on any Google Play or Apple Stores?
    I've sent a message to the Dota team (using the contact form) and a PM to DanielJ on the forum here, but didn't hear back from either.
    I also contacted some of the other Android developers but no one knew anything.

Valve Developer
    This is Liam at Valve. I'll reach out to Seifer and Voshond directly, but here's how we generally address use of our intellectual property by customers:

Under the Steam Subscriber Agreement, we allow our customers to use game assets (art, etc.) for noncommercial purposes in support of the game community. For example, we're happy to see free mods of our games. For apps, that means free apps are ok. We don't allow customers to use our assets in paid apps (including apps supported by ingame sales).

If apps refer to our trademarks, we permit people to refer to our trademark to indicate compatibility or a reason like that (e.g. "XYZ Companion App for Dota 2"). We don't (and can't) allow customers to use Valve trademarks in a way that suggests their apps come from Valve (e.g. "The Dota 2 App!").

In addition, use of the web API is governed by terms posted here: http://steamcommunity.com/dev.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liaml View Post
    This is Liam at Valve. I'll reach out to Seifer and Voshond directly, but here's how we generally address use of our intellectual property by customers:

Under the Steam Subscriber Agreement, we allow our customers to use game assets (art, etc.) for noncommercial purposes in support of the game community. For example, we're happy to see free mods of our games. For apps, that means free apps are ok. We don't allow customers to use our assets in paid apps (including apps supported by ingame sales).

If apps refer to our trademarks, we permit people to refer to our trademark to indicate compatibility or a reason like that (e.g. "XYZ Companion App for Dota 2"). We don't (and can't) allow customers to use Valve trademarks in a way that suggests their apps come from Valve (e.g. "The Dota 2 App!").

In addition, use of the web API is governed by terms posted here: http://steamcommunity.com/dev.
    Thank you very much for your response.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by liaml View Post

So, that means Dotabuff is actually ILLEGAL, as it is a commercial product (Dotabuff plus) and they are using your assets (hero and skill icons for example)!! Shouldn't you do something about it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    So, that means Dotabuff is actually ILLEGAL, as it is a commercial product (Dotabuff plus) and they are using your assets (hero and skill icons for example)!! Shouldn't you do something about it?!
    > implying dotabuff is made by a small developer with no legal team to discuss terms and conditions with valve.