Thread: Ability Draft -Picking Queue Pre Game Mode

Basic Member

Ability Draft -Picking Queue Pre Game Mode

This is a new idea for the picking queue, I don't know if this is possible but this makes it fair for everyone who can get the first pick.

My suggestion is What if there's a Pre-stage where the fastest person to type a random word gets to get first pick. Or the fastest person to click something in the map be the first pick, that makes it fair to everyone who should go first. I mean its really bad if your in the dire side, and you know radiant will always have the advantage first. Like riki ulti, rage, etc.

I suggest that after everyone connects there will be a pre 10 sec countdown, then a random word pops up and you type it, the first person to type the word correctly will be the first pick, then the second fastest gets to be second pick in the dire side. Then the rest would be random.

The only problem I see this with is for players playing in a party. But you can fix that I guess by letting the 3rd fastest be the 2nd pick, because if one team player was first then his party member is second then they both be in different team,I suggest the next person who is not within the party of the first pick, be the second to pick.

Another suggestion is rather making a separate game mode after everyone connects, why not make it to whoever gets to click ACCEPT first when the game finds a match be the first pick.

But this are all suggestions, because I think this is better than having random picking queue.

Basic Member
    How about just... randomly decide whether Dire or Radiant gets first pick?
    Adding in some silly mini-game that arbitrarily 'rewards' people for something completely unrelated to the game itself is downright stupid.

Basic Member
    Yup, I get your point, but until they make it random whoever choose first, then radiant will always have the advantage. Well for me, making a mini-game that makes it fair whoever gets the first pick, and it will destroy the notion "just because you had the first pick".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arxos View Post
    How about just... randomly decide whether Dire or Radiant gets first pick?
    Why? This will change nothing. Radiant/Dire win-loss ratio maybe. But there will still be 50% chance for you to be in first-pick-team.

Basic Member
    a random seed should be added so any position could be first pick

Basic Member
    I think it should be rated by hero win rate in AD mode - its freakin easy to spam cheap skills with an int if he goes first and really hard to play riki or clinkz if they get last picks. So get win/loose ratio and ofcourse random will decide who gets what hero.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanisane View Post
    a random seed should be added so any position could be first pick
    This will change nothing too. Your chance to be firstpick/lastpick/firstpickteam/lastpickriki would stay the same.

P.S. Sry my bad english.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymad View Post
    This will change nothing too. Your chance to be firstpick/lastpick/firstpickteam/lastpickriki would stay the same.

P.S. Sry my bad english.
    it will change, if i play with a m8 and he invited me to the party i have excactly 0 % chanse of firstpick, if there where a random seed that gave firstpick to anyone all should have same chanse of firstpick as a solo queue. (10%)

Basic Member
    I think what i said before is the most optimal choice - You get to random a hero anyway and based on how the hero performs in AD mode the queue should be arranged from weakest to strongest. I don't see any faults in this logic. Making it by random or some meta game is still not good enough.