Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] One Click Skill Levelling

i really like the current system and how it works, but its often kinda hard to see if you can level the ability or not, theres some other indicator needed imo

Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    I currently like the ctrl+hotkey method, or the ctrl+click method, BUT it has one downfall... it takes my pinky off of [Q] to go down to ctrl, which could be just as deadly as having to move your mouse down to a little button when you're trying to juke to survive. especially if you are like faceless, and that extra point in leap could really make or break your escape at the time.
    I have never heard/seen anyone putting their pinky on Q/A/Z. Pinky always around ctrl/shift, ring on Q, middle on W and so on. Even when on dota 1 hotkey scenario, pinky always around ctrl+shift.

Anyways, once this particular action is bindable, you can bind this to space/capslock etc.

i got use to it

Getting used to it is just as much a problem, and will cause the downfall of the game if every little thing turns into a "oh you'll get used to it"
    Sure, you and I can do it the hotkey way, but not everyone plays the same.
    More importantly, hotkeys aren't intuitive, that's why they are hotkeys, they are shortcuts to a default operation. Just like Copy/Paste, etc.

Ctrl click can still be used, no one is arguing that, that's fine.
    OP was suggesting the that default long way of leveling skills be represented differently because the HUGE level up button and the giant yellow boxes that half obscure what level of the skill you actually have is hideous and gaudy.

Basic Member
    I believe the current way of leveling up is fine. As a new player grows to the game, they'll learn about hot keys just like they'll learn about pulling, warding, etc.

How it can be hard to press "O" to activate the increase skill? I know not everybody are able to quickly move their hand to press that button then return to their usual hotkeys without looking, but still... set that to mouse3 instead.

Very hard if you don't know O is the hotkey.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flieskiller View Post
    How it can be hard to press "O" to activate the increase skill? I know not everybody are able to quickly move their hand to press that button then return to their usual hotkeys without looking, but still... set that to mouse3 instead.
    How hard would it be to type "I want to level my first skill, Venomous Gale, please Gods of dota"? Not very hard, it should be changed to that. Or maybe it could be changed to not have to press anything. It's not about difficulty, it's never hard to press an additional key to do anything, it's just annoying and in most cases, not terribly important. There's no gameplay consequences to that single click, it's just there because the system was designed that way, and it could be designed without it for simpler usage. The HoN/LoL way of having the little icons pop and you click them and it levels the skills under it is both simpler and more intuitive. Also more visible, but that's more of an issue with the colors chosen for level ups in dota2. And yes there's a shortcut for it. Fact, most newbie and average players don't use every keybinds, or don't even know them. Having a shortcut for something isn't an excuse for a not well designed graphical counterpart.

Basic Member
    Fact is that the more convenient we make these things, the more accessible the game will be. Having to go into a sub menu with a unique hotkey does not add anything to the experience of the game so why keep it when it also makes it less convenient? You talk about binding something to a different key flies but why should you even have to do that? Its another needless in a process which should be all about simplicity. Sure, it has always been that you have to press O to enter the sub menu, but the argument that "its because we always did it like that" is hardly a very good way to approach design.

Im not saying I agree with the popup levelling though because I strongly dislike that idea as well - it gives room for unwanted misclicks in hectic situations because it brings elements into the GUI which are, strictly speaking, unnecessary and take up space which could have been used for the game itself. This is also why I like Action Key so much: It doesn't clutter the screen, having one unified key would make it easier to find a "go-to key" when things don't work and regardless of how hectic things are in a team battle, you will never misclick and level that skill which ruined your build.

Basic Member
    Just make it an option if some of you think it will ruin your games by accidental levelups. Please, please stop opposing stuff that are in hon because they're in hon. Some of you might even be doing it subconsciously.