Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Color/Mana/LvL

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Color/Mana/LvL

1. color changing health bars, green - yellow - orange - red (high - low)
    2. enemy mana bars
    3. clear level indicators on heroes

1. I really like how dota has a sense of urgency when you are in the "red zone" of health
    currently its just all green.

perhaps some color changing to make things more visible?
    when everything is green from 1 - 100000 HP, it all looks less dramatic.
    i notice a lot of people stay and fight despite being in, what i consider, "critical"

2. another issue was not being able to see enemy mana bars
    currently i have to click each enenmy hero just to see if they have mana

3. the white numbers on yellow make it very difficult to take a quick glace and see what level they are
    perhaps a little number on the top center where the hero icons are would help immensly.

thanks for taking the time to read these!

Basic Member
    ^THIS!!
    I want to be able to see mana. When I have a mana burn ability/item, I want to see how much im burning, or if im wasting my time burning someones mana who doesnt have any, already.

If I remember reading this right, the reason why they don't show mana bars, health numbers, and mana numbers is because they want there to always be an appearance of a threat even if you/they aren't one. Showing off someones mana bar means that it puts you/them in the position to attack when they/you are depleted, knowing they/you can't do anything back. Example:

A: Sven uses his Q, he is now low enough he can't do anything else. You know for a fact that since he's low on mana you can blow him down like no other.
    B: Any Int Hero that uses all of their abilities is out of mana. That notifies people on the other team to go ahead and attack. The threat level of that Int Hero has just dropped to 0/10 from 10/10 by including a mana bar.
    C: Coordinating ganks based on how much mana a carry/pusher has left.

The list goes on and on. The lack of a mana bar, health numbers, and mana numbers is for a strategical reason and does have an affect on the gameplay.

Now as for what OP said in his other 2 points, having a color changing health bar would be a good idea. Having it go from green at full to red at low. Would be a great indicator on the UI as well. So I do agree with him on his first point. As for his 3rd point, I tend to agree, adding a level indicator onto the health bar would be a good addition.
    Last edited by Neo_Bahamut_19; 12-22-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Bahamut_19 View Post
    If I remember reading this right, the reason why they don't show mana bars, health numbers, and mana numbers is because they want there to always be an appearance of a threat even if you/they aren't one. Showing off someones mana bar means that it puts you/them in the position to attack when they/you are depleted, knowing they/you can't do anything back. Example:
    That would be true except you can see the amount of mana enemy has, and you do see an estimate amount of health due to small bars, each bar is 200 hp and can be changed through console.

Basic Member
    yea if we can already see enemy mana bars by clicking on the hero, they might as well jsut put the mana bars above the hero.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx213 View Post
    yea if we can already see enemy mana bars by clicking on the hero, they might as well jsut put the mana bars above the hero.
    Just a few questions:
    How much time do you think you would need in order to see an enemy mana and go back to your hero?
    How much time does a standar 5 on 5 fight last?
    Do you really belive that in a fight you will be clicking an enemy just to look for his mana instead of looking after your team?
    As Neo said as things are now any hero you just saw coming from fog is a potential threat, if you can see enemys mana just by looking at the screen you would know who you can ignore, making some mana dependant heroes even harder to play than already are.

Mana bars please

Basic Member
    no on both suggestions. mana bars are already explained, and if you didn't notice, health bars from the enemy team are red, health bars from your team are green. Too often there would be a mix up if you didnt remember exactly who are the heroes on your team. Especially since the hero models are not that colour-differentiated as in DotA 1.

So no, I like it the way it is.

Basic Member
    "2. enemy mana bars"

not this again...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasheem View Post
    no on both suggestions. mana bars are already explained, and if you didn't notice, health bars from the enemy team are red, health bars from your team are green. Too often there would be a mix up if you didnt remember exactly who are the heroes on your team. Especially since the hero models are not that colour-differentiated as in DotA 1.

So no, I like it the way it is.
    not those health bars but the big one of your hero.