Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Races

Basic Member
    Groups to think about are:

Immortal
    Undead
    Bugs/Monster/Animals

The last category is self explanatory when looking at the list of heroes.

As for Immortal I would put a Invoker - Enigma - AA - Lion - Spectre - Void - Razor.

As for Undead - Lifestealer - SK - Pugna - Death Prophet - Necrolyte - Lich - Clinkz - Shadow Fiend - Doom Bringer - Pudge. Most are given away from their avatar others moves. Such as Shadow Fiend stealing souls - Prophet controlling ghosts - Necrolyte being like death (Family Guy :P) - Doom Bringer being named Lucifer and bringing doom...

i like to think the pointy ears are an effect of huge amounts of or prolonged exposition to magic. necrolyte's look pretty different from the others so i would guess it's more a credit to his deformity. his lore suggests that he's not quite dead and not quite alive either so the theory that his features are solely changed by rot can be questioned. maybe it's just the combined effect of the plague and magical energy.

that or maybe they're some side effect of not aging/immortality.

the races in Dota seem to be more like those in folklore than those in a fantasy world. that is to say, numerous. i wouldn't even go as far as to assume riki and neutral satyrs the same race. sniper and tinker are the same race but i doubt it's the gnomes mentioned in the ring description.

anti-mage (and sven, according to the world map) are human or something to that effect but simply have a different tone of skin. his eyes are likely some effect of stuff in his past.
    Last edited by doomsheep; 01-28-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal View Post
    Check it

His ears seem slightly pointy and his eyes glow, but neither that nor his story implies hes actually an Elf. I would rather think hes just a human who became more than a human.
    Invoker was not just an elf,he was from Blood Elves Race!(Long ears,white skin,red and black armors)

So here are some information about Blood Elves.I will not give you everything because they are sooo much.I will write the most important and if anybody wants more,I will give them to him.

The blood elves, sin'dorei in Thalassian ("children of the blood"), are a race composed of former high elves who renamed themselves in honor of their people who were killed during the siege of Quel'Thalas by the Scourge during the Third War.

The blood elves of Azeroth joined the Horde in the Burning Crusade expansion, seeking to reunite with Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider in Outland.

They have since reclaimed their capital of Silvermoon City, situated in Eversong Woods.

Blood Elves Introduction

Those now known as blood elves were once high elves. In the transition that led to this renaming, they glorified their civilization while discarding their honor. Life for the blood elves changed during the Third War, when King Arthas' Scourge sacked Quel'Thalas and shattered the elven race.
    The Scourge slew more than 90% of the high elven population, devastating their culture.

Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider was studying magic in Dalaran at the time of the disaster.
    He returned from his studies to find Quel'Thalas in ruins.
    Thirsting for vengeance, Kael'thas gathered the survivors and renamed them "blood elves" in honor of their fallen king.

The blood elves who sided themselves with Kael'thas escaped with the aid of the naga, fled to Outland, and joined Illidan Stormrage's forces.
    This group of blood elves then helped defeat the demon Magtheridon and claimed his Black Citadel as their own.

In exchange for the blood elves' loyal service, Illidan gave them a place to live, as well as further techniques to siphon mana from anything with arcane power. Blood elves in Outland now hunt demons and feed off the demons' magic.

Physical appearance

Blood elves were physically identical to high elves, save that they dressed primarily in blacks and reds to remind themselves of their terrible losses. Many painted runes or mysterious tattoos on their faces, arms and shoulders for warding off demons or celebrating significant kills or simply to look intimidating something high elves would never do. As well, they adopted hair styles that went against the norms of high elf society.

Blood elves have long pointy ears, acute senses and keen sight in the darkness. Night elves have long, slanted ears while blood elves' ears are shorter and tend to point upwards.

Eyes

Their eyes are said to be green, they have been shown different in some sources:

1) Blood elven eyes were depicted white and pupil-less

A possible explanation for this is that when the blood elves first began to feed on demonic magic, it took a while for their eyes to change to the green.Their eyes lost their blue hue and became white.

2 Blood elves had normal white eyes with pupils

Culture

Blood elves wear crimson-colored robes to suggest their fiery affiliation and the blood of the fallen elves in Quel'Thalas. Many concentrate on studying arcane and fire magic, as opposed to the traditional frost and water spells of their lost high elf society.

Relationships

While they hate most races, they have come to accept the Forsaken, as they share the same goals.

The western Horde recognizes the blood elves as dangerous, volatile and ultimately destructive.

The Horde orcs, Darkspear trolls and tauren distrust the blood elves, as their addiction to magic makes the high elves look like amateurs.

Blood elves are enemies of both humanity and the night elves.

The blood elves consider the naga their allies and friends.

The other neutral races that interest them are the goblins and some of dark trolls

About Silencer

So,maybe Silencer belongs to Blood Elven Race but maybe not because in dota 2 he hasnt got long ears like here .

BUT I know a lore that says

Nortrom - The Silencer

Hailing from the magical community of Quel'Thalas, Nortrom is one of the strongest Elven warriors defending the integrity of the lands. Mastering the ancient art of glaive-throwing, and combining it with the volatile nature of the Blood Elves' arcane magic, he is able to disrupt the magical energies in his enemies.
    By binding his magical powers to his glaive, he is able to cause damage beyond devastation, gaining intelligence from every kill.

Concentrating all his energies, he can cause chaos within his enemies' magical pools, making them unable to cast spells. He is determined to fend off the Scourge and their demon magic until he has breathed his last.

And those are from Blizzard Warcraft's Universe, while Dota 2 has its own world.

Elves in different games are different. In Dota 2, Invoker is not a blood elf and Blood Elf belongs to Blizzard.

And I believe Silencer in Dota 2 is a human.

You use Dota 1 lores, which is not used in Dota 2, thus, make your post make no sense.
    Last edited by ShadowThanatos; 01-30-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowThanatos View Post
    And those are from Blizzard Warcraft's Universe, while Dota 2 has its own world.

Elves in different games are different. In Dota 2, Invoker is not a blood elf and Blood Elf belongs to Blizzard.

And I believe Silencer in Dota 2 is a human.

You use Dota 1 lores, which is not used in Dota 2, thus, make your post make no sense.
    So,because in DotA 2 lores are different from DotA 1,Antimage and Magina are not the same here.
    In the one post you say something,and in another post you say something completely defferent.
    Learn to support what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TsiLi View Post
    So,because in DotA 2 lores are different from DotA 1,Antimage and Magina are not the same here.
    In the one post you say something,and in another post you say something completely defferent.
    Learn to support what you are saying.
    What the heck is this? Antimage is the Title, Magina is the name.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Anti-Mage

Read the fucking page.
    Last edited by ShadowThanatos; 01-30-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Nice work, with some I agree, and with some I don't.

Basic Member
    Warlock is human, not orc, I believe anti-mage is human too, not "something"

also, i from what I understood from her lore, drow ranger is a human, but disguised as a drow, since she was rased by them and all IDK

Basic Member
    Cool stuff.

To me it seems likely that alchemist is a member of the same race as the sniper/tinker/clockwork trio, just a extra small version. Other than his shoulder width and longer legs to body ratio, he looks very similar(and more similar to a tradition gnome than the others), though the ears are a bit off, I'll give you that. What I think is going on with the lore for those 3 or 4 heroes is that the Valve lore team hasn't decided what to call the race yet, that's why in Clockwork's lore it says, "the same race as Sniper and Tinker," instead of just naming the race. They look like a mix of dwarves and gnomes to me, some combination Valve is making up is my guess.

One connection I don't think I saw someone make yet is Yurnero and anti-mage. I don't see much of a lore connection, both of them don't really give an origin, but just based on their appearance they seem to part of some new race(or at least some process that changed their appearances from whatever race they belong too). check out the images(or just look ingame):

http://www.dota2-blog.com/dota-2-ant...build-strategy

http://www.dota2-blog.com/dota-2-jug...rategy-yurnero

Both are very similar sizes, height, body type. You can't see too much of Jugger, but he seems to have the same shade of orange skin as anti-mage does. They also both have glowing eyes. Though I don't know where valve will go with this, it seems they could easily have been members of the same race(or even family) who had greatly different upbringings.
    Last edited by TinFoil; 01-30-2012 at 04:41 PM.

It's not really likely. It's like saying that a puma looks like a cheetah. The two are both felines, but that's all. It's strongly implied, at least as of me, that Jugger's race was separated from the others on that Isle of Masks. And they all wore those masks, quite obviously.

And, by the way, what about Gyro? Clockwerk's rivalry/friendly interactions with Sniper and Tinker are a big chunk of his lore and VO, so adding Gyro to that race would make it logical for Valve to record more rivalry lines for Clockwerk. And I don't think that they would. A new hi-tech race then?