Thread: Hero Races

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Hero Races

I thought about posting this in the Lore and Lists thread,

We've a lot of characters in Dota 2. Over the last few days, one thing that's piqued my attention would be the different races, and how they've changed from the original Warcraft III mod. Obviously, some things stayed the same. There are still lots of Humans, and there are still lots of rather unique monsters. The monsters aren't that important, since they don't really fit into the "Humanoid race" category that I'm interested in.

For the sake of this post, I'm going to ignore Humanoid "otherlanders," such as Vengeful Spirit, Dark Seer and Doom Bringer. I'm also going to ignore severely altered Humanoids, like Lich, Lion and Lifestealer.

This exception leaves us with a list of (mostly) mortal Humanoids:
    Sven
    Kunkka
    Beastmaster
    Clockwerk
    Dragon Knight
    Omniknight
    Huskar
    Alchemist
    Anti-Mage
    Drow
    Juggernaut
    Mirana
    Riki
    Sniper
    Crystal Maiden
    Lina
    Shadow Shaman
    Tinker
    Chen
    Axe
    Bloodseeker
    Witch Doctor
    Warlock
    Dazzle
    Batrider

Let's start with Rikimaru, the little Satyr. I thought about excluding him as a monster, but a quick glance at his lore changed my mind. He was a prince. He's a member of a Humanoid race, living in the mortal world. For all intents and purposes, Satyrs can be considered a normal race.

Then, we have Alchemist--not the ogre, the little dude on top. Razzil. He was one of the easiest to classify. From his name and spells, we know that Razzil Darkbrew has stayed a Goblin.

Character lore has already done the first real grouping. Tinker, Sniper and Clockwerk are all... Something? In the original Dota, Clockwerk and Tinker were both Goblins. But judging by their appearances when compared to Alchemist, we know that they've changed. This is confirmed by pulling in Sniper, who used to be a Dwarf. But their proportions don't mesh with common depictions of Dwarves. It's a bit of a guess, but I believe they're Gnomes. The description in Ring of Regen shows that Gnomes exist in this universe, and have some sort of culture. The description in the ring suggests Gnomes are superstitious, and the backstories for Sniper and Tinker show that their race fits this profile.

A huge part of the Warcraft universe would be the Orcs. While many heroes in the original DotA map were Orcs, their numbers have been severely cut in Dota 2. Axe has obviously kept his Orcish roots, but so has Warlock. At first glance, Warlock looks like he's turned Human. But a comparison between the faces of Axe, Warlock and Chen (who also used to be an Orc) shows that Warlock's face is much closer to Axe's than it is to the now-Human Chen's. Their many similarities include their broad chins, blank eyes, high-set flat noses, and thin, wide lips. Warlock and Axe are both Orcs.

The strangest grouping would be the Trowles: Dazzle, Huskar, Rhasta, Bat Rider and Witch Doctor. We can classify them due to some similarities. They all have strange skin colors, they all have blank eyes, they all have large teeth, they all have angular faces (except for the deformed Witch Doctor), they all have small noses, they all have pointed ears, and they all have silly accents. The Forest Troll creeps share most of these similarities. They've kept many similarities with their Warcraft precursors, especially in regards to their spiritualism. Their lore suggests that there are at least two different types of Troll/Trowle. Dazzle and Huskar are Dezun trolls. Witch Doctor is probably Dezun as well, and Rhasta is a half-breed between a Hill Trowle and "Something Else." I don't really get why Rhasta's race is "Trowle" while the creeps are "Trolls," but that's that, I guess.

The easiest race to group together would be the Humans. Kunkka, Beastmaster, Pre-Transformation Dragon Knight, Omniknight, Mirana, Crystal Maiden, Lina, Windrunner and Chen are all obviously Human. The fact that many of these characters are religious makes me believe Sven may be half Human, as well.

You may have noticed that I had a few omissions from the Human list. Namely Antimage, Drow, Sven and Juggernaut. Quite frankly, I have no clue what to do with these. They appear Human, but there's just something off about them. I'll explain my reasoning.

Drow Ranger is very tricky. Her lore explains very clearly that she is NOT a Dark Elf. The Drow in the Dota universe resemble more traditional Elves in that they're ugly little fairy tricksters. Traxex is obviously not an ugly little fairy trickster. Another red flag is the fact that you never see her ears. While her ears in DotA were protruding from her hood, the tips of Drow's ears are never seen in official artwork. Even her in-game model has no ears. This wouldn't really be a problem if it weren't for the fact that we know of no Elves in the Dota universe. (That is, unless Invoker isn't changed before release.) Also, she's purple. That's just a bit odd. If she's Human, she was altered by her stay with the Drow.

My reason for omitting Antimage is simple: he's orange, and his eyes are purple. Those are not natural, unless your name is John Boehner. While he may have been altered by his tenure at the monastery, we can't really be sure Magina is Human. In order to tell whether he was born like that or not, we'll have to wait until Terrorblade is released, or until those lore guys throw some more info our way. I kind of like Magina being some other race. But that's beside the point.

Another odd-one-out is Sven. We have no idea what he looks like. He seems blue, but another glance at his model shows that he's wearing... something. All we know about his race is that he's a half-breed, and his father was some sort of Paladin. As I mentioned earlier, this makes me think he's half Human. But until we learn more, we know next to nothing about Sven's heritage.

My last omission, Juggernaut, stems from his basis as a mysterious character. He may be a Trowle, and he may be a Human. He may be something else all together. My favorite theory on Juggernaut is that he's made of wood, and that the mask is just controlling that wood. If that theory wasn't stupid, it might hold water.

~~~~
    Edits:

As Coal pointed out, Ogres are people, too.

Looks like people don't really feel that Bat Rider should be included with the Trowles. I'm just going to go ahead and decide that Trowle is how Valve is spelling Troll. Bat Rider gets grouped in with the WTFs. I do still believe Witch Doctor is a Trowle, given the mouth, nose and ears.
    ~~~~

To sum it up:

Satyrs-
    Rikimaru
    Assorted Creeps

Goblin-
    Alchemist

Ogres-
    Alchemist
    Assorted Creeps

Gnomes-
    Tinker
    Sniper
    Clockwerk

Orcs-
    Axe
    Warlock

Trolls/Trowles-
    Dazzle
    Huskar
    Witch Doctor
    Shadow Shaman
    Assorted Creeps

Humans-
    Kunkka
    Beastmaster
    Dragon Knight
    Omniknight
    Mirana
    Crystal Maiden
    Lina
    Windrunner
    Chen

Something-
    Sven
    Drow
    Juggernaut
    Antimage
    Bat Rider

Was there anything I missed? Do you disagree with anything? Would it be possible to get some clarifications?
    Last edited by GIROG; 12-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.