Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Valve intentionally ruining match quality with Compendium

  1. #71
    Basic Member J2Krauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Mother Russia
    Posts
    1,028
    Reading this thread reminds me of that screenshot which showed that a guy got permabanned from LoL because he played a hero which was out of the meta.

  2. #72
    Basic Member hoveringmover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan2011 View Post
    Guys please. Attack the point some one is making and not the person behind it. Also, if you dont have to say anything useful dont post at all.

    My 2cents now:

    I can understand, that ranked players find it unhelpful to do the hero challenge in ranked match making.
    I can also understand, that it "destroys" the mind set of "i play this hero because i want to win".
    But what i dont understand is: You dont want a stalled meta (in ranked mm that is), but by restricting hero challenge into unranked, you basically agree, that you are all in for a stalled meta. (people should play the heros, they are comfortable with and not new once)( i also know that what i said is highly unlikely but i hope i get the point across)

    At the end of the day, its for the guy doing the hero challenge to decide (atm) were he does it. I really doupped, that valve will restrict it :\
    I don't think much of this feature and I feel like if people are losing a dozen games with a hero at a time in ranked it's not my problem, but I guess as a player that plays a very limited pool of heroes, it annoys more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    That's further supporting my argument. Basically anyone can just intentional feed and then say "it's for the hero challenge".



    No, it will mean worse matches. The number of matches played doesn't change. So instead of having players skilled with let's say Invoker or Meepo, we have more people being skilled with no hero and just knowing the basics. It decreases overall match quality. We will just see more people failing to play their heroes.
    I disagree. I find there are a lot of players that find just one hero they like and then stop looking for more heroes to like. These kinds of players find the majority of heroes alien to them and lose a lot of games because they don't understand what their opponents and allies are capable of. This challenge is aimed at promoting those players to become more familiar with the entire hero pool, which is expansive compared to the pay to win concept that League of Legends has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Huh, how is any of that related to my post?

    My suggestion will prevent "meepo picked = lost match". The Valve way would increase the amount of Meepos - but only the amount of bad meepos, not the amount of good ones, so the relative amount of good meepos will be decreasing greatly, and people will hate people who play Meepo more.

    I don't see how the rest of your post is connected to any of my statements. Maybe you should be clearer with your arguments.
    I agree, but the professional scene does that anyway. When Slark is popular people lose the game on purpose when I'm on their team. When Outworld Devourer is popular they lose the game on purpose when you're on their team. Notice a pattern? Yes, Valve could be more helpful in steering players in the right direction as far as learning how the game works, in fact I think their tutorial doesn't manage to accomplish that at all. In fact, all the limited heroes mode seems to do for players is make them think that someone else should decide which is the best hero for them. Which implies that professional players or the Compendium Challenge or just mainstream trends in general are going to decide their fate.
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 05-24-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by hoveringmover View Post
    I disagree. I find there are a lot of players that find just one hero they like and then stop looking for more heroes to like. These kinds of players find the majority of heroes alien to them and lose a lot of games because they don't understand what their opponents and allies are capable of. This challenge is aimed at promoting those players to become more familiar with the entire hero pool, which is expansive compared to the pay to win concept that League of Legends has.
    Nothing of this would be different if the challenge would only count for unranked games. People would still have a high incentive to play other heroes. The point is that there is no legitimate reason to make people in Ranked games play heroes they aren't familiar with. In ranked I expect the people to try their best.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoveringmover View Post
    I don't think much of this feature and I feel like if people are losing a dozen games with a hero at a time in ranked it's not my problem
    That's a pretty stupid attitude, because you're lying to yourself. It is your problem if your allies feed in your games because they don't know how to play. No matter if you win or lose, it will be a horrible experience for YOU.
    Ranked games should be decided by big plays, not by big fails.
    Last edited by Typhox; 05-24-2014 at 10:09 AM.

  4. #74
    Basic Member hoveringmover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Nothing of this would be different if the challenge would only count for unranked games. People would still have a high incentive to play other heroes. The point is that there is no legitimate reason to make people in Ranked games play heroes they aren't familiar with. In ranked I expect the people to try their best.



    That's a pretty stupid attitude, because you're lying to yourself. It is your problem if your allies feed in your games because they don't know how to play. No matter if you win or lose, it will be a horrible experience for YOU.
    Ranked games should be decided by big plays, not by big fails.
    What I meant is people that just follow the fate handed to them by other people are the sort of people I will remove from my friend list. Yes, my game may be ruined by this, but my game is ruined by lots of stuff all year round. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because players are already playing heroes they can't play, and furthermore, when odd heroes like Slark or Outworld Devourer are being played, allies often are useless because they don't even understand how the hero works. Of course, there are also the very disgusting stomps that happen when the opponents don't understand the hero either, and either way it's exasperating. I'd rather Valve encourage them to play odd heroes so they can learn more about them than for them to restrict them to a few heroes and thus fail because they don't understand some of the heroes participating in their ranked games.

    We're arguing the same point but with a different conclusion. You view the challenge as a restriction. I think the challenge is a challenge. Neither of us think a restriction is good, but you are biased in that your hero pool is too small and I think your own attitude is too restrictive. It's like you're trying to force your opinion on other people, and that's no good.
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 05-24-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.

  5. #75
    Basic Member erik-the-red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,682
    I really don't see any arguments for making it so that completing the ten hero challenge is an unranked thing. In principle, ten hero challenge is just another game mode somewhat similar to Single Draft. There's no ranked Single Draft option, is there?
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.



    merci fenix

  6. #76
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    138
    Ranked match making should be exclusively for people who are trying to win. Playing ranked games for any other reason than winning should be discouraged. Adding incentives for playing in ranked for reasons other than( ones that conflict with) winning should be discouraged.

    When I play ranked match making, I expect that everybody puts their egos aside and picks to win and plays to win, because that's how it should be. Consciously doing anything to lower your chances of winning should be considered intentional game ruining, because that's what it is.

  7. #77
    Basic Member erik-the-red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,682
    Quote Originally Posted by block View Post
    Its the intelligent people like you (not regarding your mute system posts srry)
    Dude, you defended a system that has never worked and has had two complete meltdowns / three resets in twelve months. Common sense would suggest that this system is not worth defending.

    Anyway, back on topic, this is not about "enforcing the meta." This is about maintaining the tenor of ranked matchmaking. Ranked matchmaking is not intended to be a casual experience; you can't just create a new account and immediately play ranked. Setting aside my thoughts on ten hero challenge being just another game mode, it's by nature casual. It's something you do for fun and to try to get three levels added to your Compendium.

    Of course you have to win for these to count, so it's not that people are throwing / trying to lose on purpose. They're trying to win with heroes they may or may not know how to play. That sounds like something you should do in unranked.

    So as others have said, make it so that the challenges only count in unranked.
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.



    merci fenix

  8. #78
    Basic Member Noya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Uruguay
    Posts
    12,904
    Making it unranked only would actually help both parts, ranked as you don't get as many players on heroes that they are not experienced with, and unranked because it forces people to play it so there's not as much skill disparity.

    This reminds me of the "Achievement" Steam thing that was finally discarded, and for good reasons.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by hoveringmover View Post
    What I meant is people that just follow the fate handed to them by other people are the sort of people I will remove from my friend list. Yes, my game may be ruined by this, but my game is ruined by lots of stuff all year round. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because players are already playing heroes they can't play, and furthermore, when odd heroes like Slark or Outworld Devourer are being played, allies often are useless because they don't even understand how the hero works. Of course, there are also the very disgusting stomps that happen when the opponents don't understand the hero either, and either way it's exasperating. I'd rather Valve encourage them to play odd heroes so they can learn more about them than for them to restrict them to a few heroes and thus fail because they don't understand some of the heroes participating in their ranked games.

    We're arguing the same point but with a different conclusion. You view the challenge as a restriction. I think the challenge is a challenge. Neither of us think a restriction is good, but you are biased in that your hero pool is too small and I think your own attitude is too restrictive. It's like you're trying to force your opinion on other people, and that's no good.
    I think you are misjudging me. I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Hero Challenges from Valve. I even made a similar suggestion in the past to give people more reasons to learn different heroes. You are just looking at my hero pool and then judge me from that. You don't actually know the reason why I rarely pick other heroes than OD or Phoenix.
    However, my statements remain true, I rather have very awesome games instead of people who pick a big range of different heroes. I rather like to have the game decided by the skill of the players instead of the power of their heroes/picks. As such, I expect to play against people who are able to do awesome tricks and techniques with their heroes.
    For example, when people see me play Phoenix, escaping 5 enemy heroes using Sun Ray on a cliff and Teleporting while the skill is active, all my allies tell me "wtf I didn't know you can actually do that" and so on. It's way more interesting to watch people play a hero at full potential.
    Of course people must know all the heroes and how they work, that's why I totally support the Hero Challenges.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •