Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Disallow new sets from adding in custom effects/icons.

Basic Member
    Mirana's arrow should go back to the default arrow. It adds more confusion. Eventually I will get used to it but until that time, it will continue to be annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by rockonrob View Post
    Yea.. I completely agree with this. Changing Mirana's arrow is probably the worst. Many are ok, but that one takes it too far.
    I was already an arrow magnet.
    I like to do stupid stuff even when i know it's stupid.

There are a lot of items with custom particles being submitted (and I created quite a few of them myself) but that doesn't automatically mean that they will get accepted. Keep in mind that Valve only accepted three community-made sets with custom particle so far: The Earth Shaker set, the Abbadon set and the Pudge set with the custom rot. Valve currently is reserving particles only for extremely rare items.

I guess in a lot of cases particle submissions can be rather counter-productive if they are not done properly. At the moment sets with particles generally have a higher rarity - which means a lot of contributers add particles because this might boost the potential income and (most importantly) also gives sets a lot of attention. If the overall quality of the set can't keep up with the ambition of adding particles a set that might otherwise have a chance to get in the shop won't do it. I guess people will start to realize that sooner or later. If you want an example of the current situation just take a look at the naga set Pior and motenai created for eG: In my opinion it's probably one of the most outstanding submissions so far but it didn't even hit position 1 in the workshop because people just vote up (allegedly) more unique sets. And at the moment this seems to mean "particles".

Another part of the problem is that a lot of people vote spectacular effects up farther than effects that try to minimize gameplay impact. Maybe you've seen the Sand King particle overhaul I created for a set last week. It generally recieved very good ratings (98% positive, which is extremely good for a workshop submission) but people just didn't pay a lot of attention to it (minimizing the overall votes) because they probably considered them fairly boring. I tried to keep the colour scheme and to keep the effect in the background (because SK's abilities are not supposed to be very prominent) which is why I aimed for dark, semi-transparent, relatively realistic earthen colours. If it was the exact same effect with a different colour (for example tinting it partially magma-red, ice-blue or acid-green) it would have recieved a lot more votes. Not because the effect got any better but simply because people love "originality".

Quote Originally Posted by Automedic View Post
    There are a lot of items with custom particles being submitted (and I created quite a few of them myself) but that doesn't automatically mean that they will get accepted. Keep in mind that Valve only accepted three community-made sets with custom particle so far: The Earth Shaker set, the Abbadon set and the Pudge set with the custom rot. Valve currently is reserving particles only for extremely rare items.

I guess in a lot of cases particle submissions can be rather counter-productive if they are not done properly. At the moment sets with particles generally have a higher rarity - which means a lot of contributers add particles because this might boost the potential income and (most importantly) also gives sets a lot of attention. If the overall quality of the set can't keep up with the ambition of adding particles a set that might otherwise have a chance to get in the shop won't do it. I guess people will start to realize that sooner or later. If you want an example of the current situation just take a look at the naga set Pior and motenai created for eG: In my opinion it's probably one of the most outstanding submissions so far but it didn't even hit position 1 in the workshop because people just vote up (allegedly) more unique sets. And at the moment this seems to mean "particles".

Another part of the problem is that a lot of people vote spectacular effects up farther than effects that try to minimize gameplay impact. Maybe you've seen the Sand King particle overhaul I created for a set last week. It generally recieved very good ratings (98% positive, which is extremely good for a workshop submission) but people just didn't pay a lot of attention to it (minimizing the overall votes) because they probably considered them fairly boring. I tried to keep the colour scheme and to keep the effect in the background (because SK's abilities are not supposed to be very prominent) which is why I aimed for dark, semi-transparent, relatively realistic earthen colours. If it was the exact same effect with a different colour (for example tinting it partially magma-red, ice-blue or acid-green) it would have recieved a lot more votes. Not because the effect got any better but simply because people love "originality".
    I bit a remark you, only 3 "custom ability particles", because other sets also have a custom particles, but for base model or items.
    dota2russia.pro - Community site for high skills Russian Dota2 players (Open is coming soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shabutaro View Post
    I fully agree with that! How awesome was it to be one of the few who had a Lina Arcana with her custom hair and dragon. Or later the LC blades. Now the immortals. If everyone can just put custom effects on each new set it just brakes the rarity rating. Each set has to be at least mythical or legendary to justify it's custom effect/icons. Arcana/Immortal aren't needed if each rare item can has it's own custom effects.
    Then attach value to the gems themselves. I don't see a problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Automedic View Post

This is a crying shame. I hope Valve realizes the monsters they have become before TI4 is over. I want my immortal gems!
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 06-11-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.