Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Disallow new sets from adding in custom effects/icons.

Disallow new sets from adding in custom effects/icons.

I think this is getting out of hand - everyone and their mother who is working at the workshop item now feels the need to add in custom effects and icons to every frikin ability. These things may be ok if you have like one per hero (immortal or arcana) but now rare sets get to alter the looks of hero abilities as well.. I think it's crossing the line where readability and clarity will start to fade in time - what will happen when every hero has 6-8 different effects for their abilities? It will be pretty damn chaotic for sure:

"What was that from the fog? Looked like some sort of bat.. did NS just void me? Or was it QoP scream? Or maybe that new DP auto attack... damn, I should have looked up the animations of the new sets"

This is not a scenario I want to be in. Reserve the special FX only for the rarest hero items. Maybe just once change of particles per hero, maximum 2. Let the current items slide and enforce the rule from now on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
    "What was that from the fog? Looked like some sort of bat.. did NS just void me? Or was it QoP scream? Or maybe that new DP auto attack... damn, I should have looked up the animations of the new sets"
    One should work really hard in order to make Void, Scream of Pain and DP autoattack look similar to each other. Not saying it's impossible, but if that actually happens it will be the pinnacle of stupidity of Valve to accept the effects.

You can't really stop artists from creating effects - it was always planned, and every artist wants to make a Mythical+ set that sells at a higher price. The "final jury" needs to be conservative though and always think about readability first. So far they were more or less successfully denying the obvious outliers (infamous NaVi sets for AM and SD).
    Remember, remember the 1st of November

Banned
    The only problem I have so far is changing Mirana's arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Keowee View Post
    One should work really hard in order to make Void, Scream of Pain and DP autoattack look similar to each other. Not saying it's impossible, but if that actually happens it will be the pinnacle of stupidity of Valve to accept the effects.

You can't really stop artists from creating effects - it was always planned, and every artist wants to make a Mythical+ set that sells at a higher price. The "final jury" needs to be conservative though and always think about readability first. So far they were more or less successfully denying the obvious outliers (infamous NaVi sets for AM and SD).
    This new set announcement made me post the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTEws4r3zw

Clearly it has a QoP bat theme.

Now, I think the new effects should be distinctive enough to be worth getting, but also subtle to the point you can't confuse them. This confusion car rise exponentially with every set that changes up parricles, hence my suggestion for Valve to impose a new rule: only 1-2 particle changes for hero, reserved for immortal/arcana items.

Basic Member
    I can get custom particle effect part even tho it doesn't bother me at all but custom icons? How the duck it affects players in any way shape or form?!

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I can get custom particle effect part even tho it doesn't bother me at all but custom icons? How the duck it affects players in any way shape or form?!
    Debuff icons.
    Remember, remember the 1st of November

meh... i have no problem, i know qop scream is that and void is ns one... only dumb/noobs/add anything here have a hard time noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by wachon1992 View Post
    meh... i have no problem, i know qop scream is that and void is ns one... only dumb/noobs/add anything here have a hard time noticing.
    For now yes. He is expressing his worries about the future. Imo there wont be any problem and even if something occurs and some spells are similar it can just be fixed. League of legens has 3-4 sets at each hero that change the whole appearance plus the animations and i doubt there is any problem.
    -And i also love to see new spells animation even though i most likely wont buy anything.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE PUNISHMENT SYSTEM ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Quote Originally Posted by zitapis View Post
    For now yes. He is expressing his worries about the future. Imo there wont be any problem and even if something occurs and some spells are similar it can just be fixed. League of legens has 3-4 sets at each hero that change the whole appearance plus the animations and i doubt there is any problem.
    -And i also love to see new spells animation even though i most likely wont buy anything.
    idk, even if u gave 100 different animations + particles to qop scream id still know its the scream. imo this is not a problem, maybe for him it is idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Noo View Post
    The only problem I have so far is changing Mirana's arrow.
    Yea.. I completely agree with this. Changing Mirana's arrow is probably the worst. Many are ok, but that one takes it too far.