Thread: Why was the 'suggest hero' feature removed?

Basic Member

Why was the 'suggest hero' feature removed?

I found it incredibly useful to suggest heroes to others, especially when playing with bots.

Now with this new (and ugly) it's gone. Why is that. What was bad about the feature?
    Also is there a way to revert to the old hero picker? This one sucks visually. For me it was the answer to a question I never asked.

Basic Member
    I prefer the new one and I have very rarely seen the suggest feature being used. And when used nobody listened to it.
    You can still use chat.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    I prefer the new one and I have very rarely seen the suggest feature being used. And when used nobody listened to it.
    You can still use chat.
    I hate the new UI with every fibre of my being. The old UI had a unique character to it. Why can't Valve leave well enough alone? It feels like they hired Firefox devs to kill the old UI. 'Hurr, not tablet web 2.0 enough let's make an ugly simplistic one.

I wished it could at least be a choice. Can anybody tell me how to revrt back to the old picker plz?

Basic Member
    I don't think you can.
    Explanations on the normal, high and very high brackets in replays: here, here & here
    Why maphacks won't work in D2: here

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    You can still use chat.
    You can't use chat to tell bots what hero to pick.

Basic Member
    I agree with the OP. I used the suggest feature quite a bit as I play bots a lot.

Basic Member
    If you're going to update the UI, update the suggest hero option too. Make the button put a glow around the suggested hero cards, seeing as you don't want those 10 empty suggestion spaces laying around when no one will use them (or notice).

If it had some card glow effect it would get peoples attention. I can't say I've ever looked at the Suggest Hero area unless I myself was suggesting something, but with a card effect to catch peoples' eyes, it could prove very useful.

Basic Member
    I also think that's a bit sloppy, I liked to suggest at east 2 bots on what game I wanted to play. Yes i'm a guy that plays this game with bots allot. I could at least influence my game a bit. The increased variation in bots would make this even more appealing to do

I am angered by this. And I wish Valve would bring back the customization button for the hero selection grid!

We cannot even suggest a hero to combine with the hero we choose with these matched players. Nobody that wants to make suggestions also wants to start an argument with their allies before the game begins. But that is what happens when players reason that they didn't ask others for their opinion.

Chatting with your allies is basically invasive in the minds of many players, especially with such a feature as the lane picking map and the fact that voice chat is disabled unless you activate automatic voice chat.

The suggest a hero button was a non-invasive way to encourage wise hero choices.
    Last edited by hoveringmover; 10-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    I will mercilessly add to my ignore list anyone that makes an incredibly annoying signature.