Thread: Option for hold position + stop autoattack

Basic Member

Option for hold position + stop autoattack

Hello guys,

Up to now I have been fine with playing with auto attack turned off. Everything was great until I started playing Naga Siren and microing illusions:

Basically you send all other units (your 3 illusions) to the nearest jungle camp, then you shift click one which leaves you with 2 illusions selected, you send those to the next nearest jungle camp etc.

The problem is with auto attack turned off these illusions won't immediatelly attack the camps and just stand around idle. Using attack move instead of move also does not help as then all illusions will attack the first camp (if it is on the way to the second camp).

I really want an option where I can keep auto attack on at all times UNLESS I use hold position. This is currently not possible. As far is I know it's possible to use console bindings to make hold turn off auto attacking, but it's not possible to make using any other command (item, spell, move, attack) turn off auto attacking. With the addition of efficient illusion micro this really cripples me. Turning on auto attack is not an option for me because I want to stop attacking when I press hold.

TLDR:
    I really want a bindable button which holds position and does NOT attack. On all other occasions I want auto attack to be on. Currently I am forced to turn off auto attack because 'hold position' does not stop attacking.

Thanks,
    Flo

Basic Member
    Try this:

Code:
    alias stop_autoattack_on "dota_player_units_auto_attack 1; dota_player_units_auto_attack_after_spell 1; dota_stop"
    alias hold_autoattack_off "dota_player_units_auto_attack 0; dota_player_units_auto_attack_after_spell 0; dota_hold"
    bind s stop_autoattack_on
    bind h hold_autoattack_off
    Can't test the code but if I didn't mistype it should work.

If you press s you enable autoattack. If you press h you disable autoattack.

Here is a toggle script:

Code:
    alias toggle_attack auto_attack_on
    alias "auto_attack_on" "dota_player_units_auto_attack 1; dota_player_units_auto_attack_after_spell 1; alias toggle_attack auto_attack_off"
    alias "auto_attack_off" "dota_player_units_auto_attack 0; dota_player_units_auto_attack_after_spell 0; alias toggle_attack auto_attack_on"

bind "z" "toggle_attack"
    Haven't test this also but should work if I didn't mistype.

You press z and you enable autoattack. You press z again you disable autoattack. You press z again you enable autoattack. ...

Save what you need in autoexec.cfg or copy paste line per line into console (however if you do console variant you will have to do this each time you start a game).

Regarding autoexec.cfg:
    You should have a config.cfg file somewhere along this path:
    X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg
    Make a new file, copy paste the code above, save the file as all files (not txt file) and name it autoexec.cfg

You can also save it in a separate .cfg file with whatever name you want but you will have to call the file with exec <name>.cfg in console.

Valve won't implement this as an option because you rarely want to switch between auto attack on and off.

Or if it is too complicated you should learn how to shift queue the attack move. Simply select all other units, shift and attack move.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    I'm very good with programming and scripting. I know that it is possible but this is more of a workaround, I'd have to use more buttons etc.

I just want to stop autoattack while I am holding position (more important on ranged heroes than melee but still important on melee heroes). I want to autoattack at ALL other times, without pressing stop or any other exclusive button I usually don't use.

As far as I know it is not possible to do that. Maybe I will bind my move command to continue auto attacks and hold position to stop auto attacks. It's just stupid that there is not an option for hold position & stop attacks at the same time.

Basic Member
    There can be a lot more options but then we would have many pages of options.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    Hold&stop attack is something people have asked for several times. And there is no reason why it is not possible via console or a setting. Currently it is impossible to have autoattack on and automatically have it off WHILE you use hold position.