Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Workshop Tools Alpha - Failed to start game (missing executable).

[Solved] Workshop Tools Alpha - Failed to start game (missing executable).

For me the workshop tools are not starting.
    I enabled workshop tools in the dota-dlc area. I started the download from the tools page.
    When I try to start "Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha" I get the following error:

Failed to start game (missing executable).

I allready tried verifying the local files of the workshop tools and dota 2. Didn't help.
    I'm on windows 7 professional, service pack 1, 64-Bit.

On a (maybe) unrelated note: dota 2 now has a 0/0 Bytes missing update that never finishes, since the workshop tools alpha has been released.
    Last edited by chocolateftw; 08-07-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Issue has been solved

I also have the exact same problem, my DotA 2 has a 0/0 byte update which doesn't change at all, and the workshop tools give me that same issue. I tried verifying the cache and deleting the appcache, nothing works.

Ok after looking around for a while, apparently you have to opt in the Steam Beta so you can download the 5.5GB update that come with the workshop tools. To do that, simple go to Steam > Settings > Account. Change the BETA participation and choose steam beta. Steam will restart and download 91 MB and then when steam starts, DotA 2 should start downloading the 5.5GB update.

Hopefully after the big update, we will be able to open the tools.

I followed your instructions and now it works!
    I'm so happy right now. Thank you so much!

I opted in beta in steam, installed the 110mb tools but it won't start download the 5.5gb dota 2 update, still having the DLC marked as uninstalled in dota 2 proprieties (although i ticked the option) . Any idea how can I fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintAndSoldier View Post
    I opted in beta in steam, installed the 110mb tools but it won't start download the 5.5gb dota 2 update, still having the DLC marked as uninstalled in dota 2 proprieties (although i ticked the option) . Any idea how can I fix it?
    Did you try
    a) verify the dota2 catch or
    b) verify the dota2 tools catch
    If you find spelling errors, you are free to take them.

I had verified game cache, not tools cache yet, doing it now, fingers crossed :-s

Edit: Did it, and nothing changed. I still got the Missing executable error, followed every step in FAQ to fix it, verified cache, opted into steam beta. The problem seems to be DLC download not starting for some reason
    Last edited by SaintAndSoldier; 08-10-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Basic Member
    I have the same problem

I think I figured out my personal problem. I have installed a 32 bit version of windows a few weeks ago, unlike the 64 bit one I had before, this must be the issue.

Basic Member
    Well I did everything and nothing works.I did try that validate thing and it said that 1 file did not validate and that it will try to validate it(maybe download it)but nothing happened.My whole mind is full of duck right now.
    Of course I dont have a Custom Games tab , still says failed to start game not finding executable and the DLC just doesnt want to download no matter what I try.

OK Scratch the thing that i said with validate ,it worked the 2nd time said files are good but still other problems did not solve...no download and no finding executable.I have 2 tabs in download section with dota2 and workshop tools both staying at 0 bytes.Just what is going on?
    Last edited by ciprian2; 08-16-2014 at 02:40 AM.