Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you sure you can use Steam Web API?!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermouth View Post
    They should do it like Riot Games...http://www.riotgames.com/legal-jibber-jabber
    You can use everything you want as long as you don't make money with it. Seriously Valve, what happened? Are we EA now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifer
    Now an update. We have a green light. Quote:
    "Please note that Dota content can only be used for free; this means no selling of the app and no paid in-app purchasing.
    If the app meets those requirements, then we’ll remove the complaint from your app.
    "

Hope to publish the app soon again.
    They are doing it exactly like Riot Games. There were some neat LoL apps (I don't personally prefer LoL but I'm familiar with LoL because of friends) which got removed because it had advertisement. The app was entirely free and the devs still made money because of ads.

It seems app makers can't make money off it which is a little sad since they spent their time developing it and get nothing in return.

But it seems you are allowed to make money of fanpages, see Dotabuff's premium feature.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - † 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

This is bs. Imho you should be able to get money from things such as ads. Otherwise I can't see the possibility of some one doing a decent app.

Basic Member
    An updated.

Valve has removed complaint a few weeks ago with the next statement:
    Please note that Dota content can only be used for free; this means no selling of the app and no paid in-app purchasing.

If the app meets those requirements, then we’ll remove the complaint from your app.
    Technically we could return the app to store at the same day, but we wanted to clarify is it possible to use Ads in free applications.
    We've sent few additional requests but no response yet =/

I've decided to return Redhot Tracker to AppStore with added legal disclaimer into iTunes description.
    Redhot Tracker - Dota 2 Tournament Tracker for iOS. Available on AppStore

Basic Member
    That's good to hear. I hope they can remove the Android complaints as well.

Basic Member
    @Voshond
    I'm afraid there is no way to remove complaint from Google Store...
    I know people that had similar situation with Google Support. When they tried to explain the situation Google answered with exact text as you have received (word in word).
    Probably it make sense to publish the application again using another bundle-id and name but with required changes.

Actually this is the reason why I'm not rushing Redhot Tracker for Android though there are a few work left before publishing.
    The Ads topic is open yet, and it will be impossible to have any kind of conversation with Google Support.
    Redhot Tracker - Dota 2 Tournament Tracker for iOS. Available on AppStore

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifer View Post
    @Voshond
    I'm afraid there is no way to remove complaint from Google Store...
    I know people that had similar situation with Google Support. When they tried to explain the situation Google answered with exact text as you have received (word in word).
    Probably it make sense to publish the application again using another bundle-id and name but with required changes.

Actually this is the reason why I'm not rushing Redhot Tracker for Android though there are a few work left before publishing.
    The Ads topic is open yet, and it will be impossible to have any kind of conversation with Google Support.
    I was hoping Valve would be able to remove their complaint, but they've gone silent again. I could re-upload my app under a different name, but I have no guarantee that this won't happen again. Two more incidents like this and I get banned from the Play store for life. It's just not worth the risk to develop another Dota app.

I had a lot of fun developing my app and I learned a lot, but it's a shame that I can't publish it and get some feedback. I think the app's pretty decent and offers more stats and features than the other apps on the store. Bit annoying that the others are still available and earning money while mine didn't even have ads. Here's some screenshots since that's all I'll get to release of it: http://imgur.com/a/1R5TW.