Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 161

Thread: Consider adding smartcast to this game

  1. #21
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerzyman View Post
    Being able to click the target is a part of the game. The intelligent and experienced players use this to their advantage in a game, simply hovering over them will reduce the skill factor of hiding in the shadows in fights/ganks popping in and out to do work.
    I cannot tell if this guy is being serious or not. I mean, right in his post, he suggests that 'hiding in the shadows' is/should some how be part of the game. To repeat that in more abstract terms: We are seriously arguing that how one perceives the map and it's elements when shrouded should be part of the game play of a MOBA. It's like this entire game has convinced people that bad design elements that have slowly been purged from the medium over the last 20 years should some how all be included in one game and then they go a step further and say, "It makes my game deep". It's laughably pathetic and reeks of a community that refuses to change antiquated elements because of an overgrown elitist complex, but it does go a long way to explain why the game is in the state it currently is.
    Last edited by Kautzman; 12-29-2011 at 10:54 PM.

  2. #22
    Basic Member Nerzyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    117
    Like it or not, it's a part of the game and has been for 9-10 years since dota has been around. Positioning is one of the most important aspects of the game for good reason.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Kautzman View Post
    I cannot tell if this guy is being serious or not. I mean, right in his post, he suggests that 'hiding in the shadows' is/should some how be part of the game. To repeat that in more abstract terms: We are seriously arguing that how one perceives the map and it's elements when shrouded should be part of the game play of a MOBA. It's like this entire game has convinced people that bad design elements that have slowly been purged from the medium over the last 20 years should some how all be included in one game and then they go a step further and say, "It makes my game deep". It's laughably pathetic and reeks of a community that refuses to change antiquated elements because of an overgrown elitist complex, but it does go a long way to explain why the game is in the state it currently is.
    You, dear Sir, had too much League of Noobs for your own good.

  4. #24
    Basic Member Nerzyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen3sis View Post
    You, dear Sir, had too much League of Noobs for your own good.
    +1 110%

    People think the game should be handed to them on a platter and a dumbed down the learning curve. However what they don't realize is that the little things, the challenging things of this game makes it what it is. It's more advanced, more difficult, and more enjoyable. Henceforth more successful.

  5. #25
    Basic Member eNTe_eXe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany/Texas
    Posts
    594
    Look below.
    SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION, SEARCH FUNCTION. DAMNIT.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    no, smart cast simply eliminates the need to click, you just hover your mouse over the target you want
    so for example I hover my mouse with venge over someone and click my stun and it targets it automatically? That... sounds stupid isnt it simple to just hotkey skill and then click? I mean... it would be awkward as fuck for people who played dota to get used to that type of thing.

    A toggle on and off for that is OK but I would personally never use it.

  7. #27
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen3sis View Post
    You, dear Sir, had too much League of Noobs for your own good.
    Care to expand on that? The guy who quoted you would like to suggest that making it difficult to parse information adds depth to the game in a good way although modern game design from the last 8 or so years has established that such an idea is flawed unless it relates to the thematic presentation of the game (Horror games and the like). Can you actually erect a reasonable defense for making certain elements difficult to perceive on the map? I wouldn't argue that it adds a level of quasi-depth, but I would however argue that the depth it adds is the bad kind of depth added by Starcraft when you can only select one building at a time.

    Furthermore, I want to ask this: Where should the depth of the game lie in your opinion? Do you think it should take the approach of LoL or Starcraft II or WoW and make a game with a very modern, seamless UI, and keep the great majority of the depth in the gameplay or are you suggesting it should travel the road taken by Starcraft I and keep a reasonable portion of the depth in both mastering the UI and the gameplay?

    Whether the issue be a smart-casting option, mana bars, minimap contrast or the endless number of other legacy DOTA issues, a large portion of these answers lie in the question of "Where do you think the depth should be in this game?" For what it's worth, I have yet to see someone actually write an actual argument for a Dota Classic-esq UI. I would love to see something that extends beyond 2 lines.
    Last edited by Kautzman; 12-30-2011 at 10:04 AM.

  8. #28
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Kautzman View Post
    Care to expand on that? The guy who quoted you would like to suggest that making it difficult to parse information adds depth to the game in a good way although modern game design from the last 8 or so years has established that such an idea is flawed unless it relates to the thematic presentation of the game (Horror games and the like). Can you actually erect a reasonable defense for making certain elements difficult to perceive on the map? I wouldn't argue that it adds a level of quasi-depth, but I would however argue that the depth it adds is the bad kind of depth added by Starcraft when you can only select one building at a time.

    Furthermore, I want to ask this: Where should the depth of the game lie in your opinion? Do you think it should take the approach of LoL or Starcraft II or WoW and make a game with a very modern, seamless UI, and keep the great majority of the depth in the gameplay or are you suggesting it should travel the road taken by Starcraft I and keep a reasonable portion of the depth in both mastering the UI and the gameplay?

    Whether the issue be a smart-casting option, mana bars, minimap contrast or the endless number of other legacy DOTA issues, a large portion of these answers lie in the question of "Where do you think the depth should be in this game?" For what it's worth, I have yet to see someone actually write an actual argument for a Dota Classic-esq UI. I would love to see something that extends beyond 2 lines.
    Just rest in the fact that Valve are professionals. They know better than these "2 liner" guys you talked about.

    There was an option called "cast immediate" in options, which wasn't enabled though, which sounds much like smartcasting.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    237
    Why all the hostility? Do you even know what you wrote? Dear fpunch, are you seriously agreeing with someone who stated that, with his own words, 'hiding in the shadows' , actually isn't a part of DotA? You surely can't be serious and don't really think this needs further explanation?

    Oh and about UI... I totaly agree that it needs overhaul (at least the whole look and positioning of info). Just please don't even try to think about adding something silly as smartcast. That works in simple games like LoL, when on the other hand, DotA is a completely different game.
    Last edited by Gen3sis; 12-30-2011 at 01:50 PM.

  10. #30
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    200
    lol. Dota 2 is doomed to failure if Valve/IceFrog listens to these League of Legends/HoN guys. DotA is about skill, not about something being easy and lazy. Why don't you just go back to LoL? Seriously, if you don't like Dota as it is, just go back. If I want to play LoL, I'll play it, I don't need a LoL-clone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •