Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Land Mines and Stasis Traps rotate when ordered to follow a unit

[Confirmed] Land Mines and Stasis Traps rotate when ordered to follow a unit

Edit: Here is the full list of wards tested for this bug. After the list I refer to Land Mines (or LMs) as the primary focus of the bug, but any time I do you can substitute that for another ward the bug applies to.

Does happen for:
    • Land Mines
    • Stasis Traps

Does not happen for:
    • Remote Mines
    • (Shadow Shaman) Serpent Wards
    • (Venomancer) Plague Wards
    • Ward objects that can't be selected with other units:
      • Observer Wards
      • Sentry Wards
      • (Pugna) Nether Ward

This will happen with any Land Mine. If you select {LM(s) + any movable unit} and right-click any allied unit (including stationary ones); it will rotate to follow that unit. The Move command in place of the right-click will allow the LM to follow any unit, allied or enemy.

To reproduce:

1. Cast Land Mine
    2. Select {LM(s) + any movable unit}, or select only Techies and use Unified Unit Orders for the next step (unified will affect all LMs currently placed)
    3. Right-click any allied unit, or use the Move order on any unit (LM will not rotate when Move is used to target ground)

Further properties:

• This can be done with multiple LMs simultaneously, following different units.
    • It will stop when the target is in the Fog of War (so for enemies only), but resumes again as soon as they are seen.
    • Enemies do see this if they have True Sight over the LM.
    • Just Techies may be selected to get the same effect if you also use Unified Unit Orders.

It does stop with:

• Teleporting far away (distance cut-off = ?)
    • Death

It does not stop with:

Spoiler: 
    • Applying same process to another LM
    • Teleporting nearby (distance cut-off = ?)
    • Blinking (via dagger) and / or walking anywhere on the map
    • Time

Basic Member
    I couldn't reproduce. Could you add repro steps or a video?

Quote Originally Posted by Xterm View Post
    I couldn't reproduce. Could you add repro steps or a video?
    ok i added repro but I don't think it'll help just yet. I'll see about a video soon.

I did ask one other person to verify before posting, and he did see the problem immediately too.

Basic Member
    Okay, I had -wtf on. I'll try again with it off.

EDIT: Still couldn't reproduce. Tried portrait cast on mine and on Techies.

Quote Originally Posted by Xterm View Post
    Okay, I had -wtf on. I'll try again with it off.
    I did as well initially, but it's happening with or without cheats for me.

Video is now up (finally).

Figured out what's actually happening—

This only happens when a move/attack command is issued on a unit when the player has both the mine(s) and the player's own hero selected. Having Techies + mine(s) selected bypasses the "Can't Move" error when trying to move a mine. (doesn't work with mine(s) + another controllable unit, has to be your own hero)

The mines are trying to move to the targeted unit, but of course cannot move and thus only turn.

This works with Land Mines and Stasis Traps, but doesn't appear to work with Remote Mines.

The mine follows Techies in the op because Techies were right-clicked when both units were selected. Portrait casting has nothing to do with it, it's purely mine movement restriction bypassed by having both the mine(s) and your own hero selected and targeting a move/attack command on a unit.

Updated with new video showing that this can reliably be caused by a group follow order (right-clicking allied unit).

Quote Originally Posted by Thth View Post
    Figured out what's actually happening—

This only happens when a move/attack command is issued on a unit when the player has both the mine(s) and the player's own hero selected. Having Techies + mine(s) selected bypasses the "Can't Move" error when trying to move a mine. (doesn't work with mine(s) + another controllable unit, has to be your own hero)

The mines are trying to move to the targeted unit, but of course cannot move and thus only turn.

This works with Land Mines and Stasis Traps, but doesn't appear to work with Remote Mines.

The mine follows Techies in the op because Techies were right-clicked when both units were selected. Portrait casting has nothing to do with it, it's purely mine movement restriction bypassed by having both the mine(s) and your own hero selected and targeting a move/attack command on a unit.
    Good catch, I didn't notice that for the first video (now removed, see [here] for record). This is NOT an issue with portrait casting, it is instead a group follow command only. In addition to right-clicking for ally follow, the Move order will universally work (can follow enemies).

Bumpy road to get here, but the OP should be entirely correct now except for the title.

Changed the title.
    Is this only happening with Land Mines? Try his other mines and other wards.
    Please, just call me buny.